Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis Vortex Blowout

Bif_

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I got the e-mail from my guy at Sweetwater about this.

I'm like Dude Why? LOL. If I want to do this I will play guitar through a GR-55 into my rack.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I think the new Korg is the nicest looking one I have seen.

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

I think the new Korg is the nicest looking one I have seen.

I'm looking forward to trying one out... if they ever show up at GC later this year.

http://www.tonylongmusic.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/korg-rk-100S-keytar-new-namm-2014.jpg

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I think they are blowing out the old model, in favor of the new model with wireless.

This. :thu:

The new one is going for $199.

I don't think comparing a $200 controller to a $700 full-on keytar synth is the reason.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I just got an E-mail from my Sweetwater rep about this. Ugh. $99, and I thought I'd never have one. But for that price I just might need to.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I'll buy one if David will paint it for me.

I'm easy but not CHEAP ;)

David, Have you ever had any issues with yours?

None whatsoever. It just works. I use the button with my left hand to switch between two programs i use for the song I use it on. I am either controlling my synth, or my iPad with it.

I am very selective about where I use it. Club dates on smallish stages I don't bring it out.

Large festival shows or arena type shows is when it gets used and gets the most favorable response from the crowd.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

Maybe I can get them to throw one in for free when I buy an SK1 tomorrow. After all, Kraft gives a gig bag with their SK1 purchase!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Whether it's the old Vortex, the new Vortex, or the new Korg, I'm sorely tempted to plunge back into keytar land.

Could someone talk me off this ledge, please ? :eek:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

Whether it's the old Vortex, the new Vortex, or the new Korg, I'm sorely tempted to plunge back into keytar land.

This reminds me of many years ago, my band was in LA for a festival and our two guitar players were having this exchange at a music store:

GP1: I'm really tempted to buy this brand X Martin knockoff...it's really pretty good value for $1000.

GP2: It's a waste of money.

GP1: Why?

GP2: Because you will take it home and it will sit next to your three authentic vintage Martins and you will never play it.

Does that help?

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Reminder: it does not have 76 keys.

:snax:

Say what ? :evil: That Korg has mini keys. I thought for sure they fit 76 in there.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I know I get chastised here a bunch on my use of keytar. However, I use one gauge to guide me in this area. Does the crowd like it?

Haven't had a negative response yet. It's all in how you use it and present it. (that's what she said....preemptive strike).

I see some bands where the keytarist is just being silly, and some where the dude or dudette really jams on the thing and it looks cool.

The newer Roland Ax, while cool, was just to bulky and unwieldy for my taste. I sold it. I wish they had brought back something along the AX-1 or -7 line. The Vortex plays great. Fast trills are easy on its keybed. Hopefully the new Korg plays well.

I use the keytar simply because it's a fun part of our show for the 1 or 2 songs I will use it on, in context. Audience loves it, I'm having fun, and that's all that matters. Hell, I'm the guy who paints his main piano Camaro yellow ;)

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

David, Have you ever had any issues with yours?

None whatsoever. It just works. I use the button with my left hand to switch between two programs i use for the song I use it on. I am either controlling my synth, or my iPad with it.

I am very selective about where I use it. Club dates on smallish stages I don't bring it out.

Large festival shows or arena type shows is when it gets used and gets the most favorable response from the crowd.

Thanks, David! I placed my order earlier today. After I posted my question, I realized you wouldn't have put the time and effort into painting yours if it wasn't working for you.

And I'm with you as to how and when I'll use it. I played an original RK-100 in the 80s and it was a good way to get out from behind the keyboard stacks on tunes I sang lead on.

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

Archived