Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alesis Vortex Blowout

Bif_

You're welcome. Wish I still had my old RK100. That's why I'm excited about the new Korg offering.

That RK100 was a beast with its wood construction.

Yep, i wish I hadn't sold my RK-100, even if it wasn't velocity-sensitive. And I was excited about the New one, too... Until I saw the mini keys... So close, but no cigar...

Live: Yamaha S70XS (#1); Roland Jupiter-80; Mackie 1202VLZ4: IEMs or Traynor K4

Home: Hammond SK Pro 73; Moog Minimoog Voyager Electric Blue; Yamaha S70XS (#2); Wurlitzer 200A

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know all you haters gonna hate, but I texted a girl I'm seeing (very early stages, not an "item" or anything yet, but working on it) that I bought a keytar today and she responded:

"What!? That's amazing! Not that you need one, but what was the reason for such a wonderful purchase?"

. . . so I guess keytars are pretty cool. Who's laughing now!?!? :cool:

I know all you haters gonna hate, but I texted a girl I'm seeing (very early stages, not an "item" or anything yet, but working on it) that I bought a keytar today and she responded:

"What!? That's amazing! Not that you need one, but what was the reason for such a wonderful purchase?"

. . . so I guess keytars are pretty cool. Who's laughing now!?!? :cool:

Thankfully you call it a keytar. Back in the late 90's the device had a different name - at least among my south suburban Chicago bandmates. When my then girlfriend first saw the band in which my keytar debuted, she did a double-take upon hearing that I was performing live with a 'strap-on'.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

I bought one for $100 on black friday, and I tried -- oh, how I tried -- to like it, but the action was terrible, toy-like, especially in comparison to the AX-Synth beside it. I took it back to GC that afternoon.

-Tom Williams

{First Name} {at} AirNetworking {dot} com

PC4-7, PX-5S, AX-Edge, PC361

Hmmm....this new wireless USB/midi Vortex might solve a problem that I'm having with an el cheapo m-audio midair midi wireless setup.

Problem is that the midair sends on either USB or midi but not both at the same time. Does anyone know if the new wireless Vortex sends on both USB and on the midi out?

(That way I can send to my rig and to my PC simultaneously.)

And BTW for those embarking on the Vortex paint job...beware of Krylon as it tends to attack the Vortex plastic. Where I didn't lay down the primer thick enough it burned through the primer and krinkled up on the plastic. Not fun. Re-sand, re-prime, re-paint.

Hmmm....this new wireless USB/midi Vortex might solve a problem that I'm having with an el cheapo m-audio midair midi wireless setup.

Problem is that the midair sends on either USB or midi but not both at the same time. Does anyone know if the new wireless Vortex sends on both USB and on the midi out?

And BTW for those embarking on the Vortex paint job...beware of Krylon as it tends to attack the Vortex plastic. Where I didn't lay down the primer thick enough it burned through the primer and krinkled up on the plastic. Not fun. Re-sand, re-prime, re-paint.

I believe it's USB MIDI wireless only.. I need to re-read the specs.

As far as the paint, I used the Krylon Fusion for plastics, with the Fusion plastic primer.

I did get a bit of that wrinkling when I did my M50, but it's because I didn't let the primer cure long enough.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I believe it's USB MIDI wireless only.. I need to re-read the specs.

As far as the paint, I used the Krylon Fusion for plastics, with the Fusion plastic primer.

I did get a bit of that wrinkling when I did my M50, but it's because I didn't let the primer cure long enough.

That's correct, the receiver is a USB dongle.

[video:youtube]

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

I don't think that the USB wireless transmit in the Vortex shuts off the wired midi out.

The timing might be whacko, but I think I can transmit to my midi rig via the midair and to PC via wireless USB...simultaneously, with the "new" Vortex.

(Waits for reviews and pics of the new internals.)

My Vortex just arrived at home. Time to start practicing my posing. And grow more hair. And get better looking. And... Ah, well, I'll just have fun with my new toy. Thanks to ExcapeRocks for pointing out the Sweetwater deal!

Wm. David McMahan

I Play, Therefore I Am

Back in the late 90's the device had a different name - at least among my south suburban Chicago bandmates. When my then girlfriend first saw the band in which my keytar debuted, she did a double-take upon hearing that I was performing live with a 'strap-on'.

Yep, I can relate - that's how our guitarist would announce our songs where I was playing my AX-1: "You never know what will happen when he puts on his 'strap-on.'

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

Archived