Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - What are you listening to right now?

Philip Clark

44 minutes ago, SteveCoscia said:

Put the CFATBDC vinyl album on my turntable today, after listening to digital versions (CDs, mp3s and streamed) for about 40 years. The difference is striking.  No doubt digital audio has more high-end, but vinyl warmth and mid-range is the way this album was intended to be heard. Future generations will have no idea how great albums were meant to sound.

IMG_3302.thumb.jpg.36ca31b15f98d0686da5e6dc159db0aa.jpg

When that album came out I was working in a record store, as a way to promote the album Elton and Bernie signed something like 500 copies. Each had a sticker on the plastic wrap saying it was an autographed copy.    Being our salesman liked us we got about 20 copies of the album.   I immediately opened one to see if they really were hand signed and they were. I kept them for decades and eventually sold them to a rare records store. 

• Like 1

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here ya go

• Like 2

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

• 2 weeks later...

A mix of one of the best bands ever combined with one of the best synths ever. And if you go to Riksmixningsverket (RMV) studios in Sweden owned by a certain B. Andersson it's there and can be used, I understand. 

• Like 1
Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

On 8/29/2024 at 6:13 PM, hurricane hugo said:

This dropped on yt about 45 minutes ago, and I'm loving it:

Have had this on vinyl since the late 80’s, fantastic stuff!

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

It's the official end of summer holiday except with climate change the scientists are say we might start have a few weeks of extra summer heat.    Well the holiday is still on so we needs some backyard music to get the neighborhood Funkin'    So drink up and party down!!!!

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 6:13 PM, hurricane hugo said:

This dropped on yt about 45 minutes ago, and I'm loving it:

I played this piece in a performance back in '03 or '04. One thing I remember was there were several sections, at least 10 or 12, with associated rehearsal letters. For some sections one keyboard part might be written in 7/8, a second part was written in 4/4, and the third in 5/4 - but it was composed so that each section's part was the same length in time - the entire ensemble went on to the next section at the same time (see also Petrushka - 1st Tableaux, among others). Within each part, the phrasing was in accordance with the meter (or vice versa, how ever you look at it); 7/8 would be phrases of 7 (or 14 16th notes), 4/4 would be phrasing in 2's 4's and 8ths, 5/4 in 5's or 10's etc. For example (just making this up to illustrate the point) section H might be written for the 3 keyboard parts as:

1. 16 bars of 7/8
  2. 14 bars of 4/4
  3. 10 bars of 5/4 + 1 bar 6/4

This meant you had to really pay attention to reading your part and not listening to the phrasing of the other parts, but definitely listening to the timing of other parts. Not your usual ensemble reading and performing experience, definitely took some practice and rehearsal time, plus a little nerve-racking in that if you ever got off, there was just no way to get back on... Still a fun and unique performing experience. Unlike some other similar pieces, this one has enough rhythmic variety and complexity in the phrasing to keep it interesting, plus some nice harmonic changes.

• Like 1

Back to the 90’s for this one… great sound creation, arranging, programming and performance!

and a great article:

https://www.musiciansfriend.com/thehub/korg-sound-designer-jack-hotop-man-thousand-synth-voices

Incidental my ass

PEACE

_
_
_

When musical machines communicate, we had better listen…

http://youtube.com/@ecoutezpourentendre

A new version of an older German song (from the 80's?), it's lyrics have a quite powerful anti-war message, though unless you can understand German you'll need the subtitles on. The title translates as "No you can't have my sons". One of the producers and spearheads for this new version used to be in and co founded a highly successful techno band (he was the main keyboardist, recording engineer/studio guy and did all the mastering), and after 20 year of that and doing classical music for a bit is now a bassist in a German indie band.

Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

On 9/7/2024 at 9:25 AM, Docbop said:

With the talk about David Gilmore I thought I'd play one of my favorite tracks......

Definitely put me on Team Gilmore! Especially since it'd have include this:

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

On 8/31/2024 at 9:07 PM, 16251 said:

I'm late to the party.

I was too. Then I heard his "Love is Selfish" and now I'm sold. 

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, 2 Invisible keyboard stands (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson