Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

0T- What Are You Listening To Right Now?

Philip Clark

Chick Corea Blue Miles.   This is my favorite incarnation of his Electric Band.   Gary Novak on Drums and Jimmy Earl on Bass because they can swing better than the originals.

• Like 1

J  a  z  z   P i a n o 8 8

--

Yamaha C7D

Montage M8x | CP300 | CP4 | SK1-73 | OB6 | Seven

K8.2 | 3300 | CPSv.3

One good thing about getting sick is finding some cool music.   I stumbled across the young pianist today Cameron Campbell on IG playing a Tyler The Creator tune.  Then I found this of him playing a Kendrick Lamar tune.   Sounds dam good and I discovered he's been touring the world as the pianist for Jazz Singer Samara Joy the kids got it all.   

• Like 1
  • Wow! 1
  • Cool 1

The news. Please hit me with a stick and stop me. Its like watching Beavis & Butt-Head as vampires! 🦇😬

• Like 2

"You get a couple of glasses of wine in those guys, they'll tell you the riddle of the Sphinx."
     ~ "Godfather of Harlem"

4 hours ago, Docbop said:

One good thing about getting sick is finding some cool music.   I stumbled across the young pianist today Cameron Campbell on IG playing a Tyler The Creator tune.  Then I found this of him playing a Kendrick Lamar tune.   Sounds dam good and I discovered he's been touring the world as the pianist for Jazz Singer Samara Joy the kids got it all.   

Nice find Doc! I was bewildered by the folks blaming streaming services for not being able to find good music anymore. There are so many great players out there these days and it’s never been easier to find new artists if one puts in a minimal amount of effort. Just subscribed to his channel and checking out more of his playing. Hope you’re feeling better soon!

• Like 1

Jazz is the teacher, Funk is the preacher!

A Master Class in groove just slowly letting it build.   One of my all time favorite tunes to listen to and play.   Arthur Adams just laying back playing chink-chinks on guitar to give the snare tone.   Felder on bass and sax, Joe Sample back in the mix with lot of great fills then Henderson fat trombone.   

• Like 1

Playing the new Trifecta album from vinyl, really enjoying it. They are the trio of Adam Holzman on keys, Nick Beggs on basses, stick, vocals, etc., and Craig Blundell on drums. They met as party of Steven Wilson's touring band, and this is their 2nd album of (mostly) instrumental proggy fusion. Great playing all around, Holzman is becoming one of my favorite synth soloists lately. This album adds a bit of Begg's dry and very British vocal wit. Good stuff!

• Wow! 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

First time ever hearing this album.  Doesn't sound much different than what his ex-bandmates in the Doobies released the same time year (Minute By Minute album), which is a surprise to me.  Ok, it tends to be more up tempo and reflects Tom's taste for the James Brown side of R&B as opposed to Mike McDonald's fondness for Ray Charles, etc.  I thought it was going to be full of rehashes of "China Grove", "Rockin Down The Highway" etc.

Anyway I dig it.  

• Like 2

One of the best male vocalists ever in my opinion, and doesn't look half bad either, video is not great quality but hey.

• Love 1
Stuff: Roland:SH-201/U-110/S-330/TR-626/M-48 Akai: miniAK/S6000 Yamaha:DX9/HS8/xs7 Korg:05R/W/AX10G Alesis: Vortex MK1 CME: UF70 classic V2/WIDI Behringer: DSP2024Px2/UMC204HD/101/340/D/03/8 ESI:1010e

It's still dam hot out here in the desert, but cooler than the last couple weeks so I'm happy 'bout that.    I needed some laid back Summer music while I sit next to a fan.    Stay Cool All....

• Like 2

To try and get the sound of that disastrous National Anthem from the Home Run Derby out yo ears,  I'll play what IMO is the best, Marvin Gaye's from the NBA All Star Game 1983.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all in on Chappell Roan. Whatever else you think about her, this is great synth pop.

Wish I could turn my daughter on to her as an alternative to Swift, but it's just too raunchy for an 8 yo girl to be listening to.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I’ve been aware of Van Der Graaf Generator for years, I think it was Peter Hammill’s vocals on Fripp’s Exposure album that first caught me, but it’s really only in the last decade that I can say I’ve become a fan. Hammill’s intensity can be a lot to take, but I’ve really come to appreciate his writing and delivery. Hugh Banton is a unique organist, I can’t think of another prog keyboardist who gets so many sounds strictly from the organ. 

This 1975 concert showed up on the tubes recently, and I’m really digging it:

• Like 1

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

Put the CFATBDC vinyl album on my turntable today, after listening to digital versions (CDs, mp3s and streamed) for about 40 years. The difference is striking.  No doubt digital audio has more high-end, but vinyl warmth and mid-range is the way this album was intended to be heard. Future generations will have no idea how great albums were meant to sound.

IMG_3302.thumb.jpg.36ca31b15f98d0686da5e6dc159db0aa.jpg

Steve Coscia