Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Journey-Steve Miller Band-TowerOfPower

Tonysounds

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the Steve Miller Band, you're assured of having at least one original band member, who is also the voice of the band. I don't keep track of personel in the other two, but in theory, they could be just very good replicas of what they once were.

edit: . . . which would still be a fun time for the whole family.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

TOP is the OPENING act.

http://i.imgur.com/UBJNo.jpg

Journey was dead to me when Gregg left.

Steve Miller was dead to me when he started writing lyrics like:

Billy Mack is a detective down in Texas

You know he knows just exactly what the facts is

He ain't gonna let those two escape justice

He makes his livin' off of the people's taxes

Moe

---

I don't keep track of personel in the other two, but in theory, they could be just very good replicas of what they once were.

Not so much wth TOP. I've seen them a few times recently, and the horn and rhythm sections were all pretty much intact, as far as I could tell. I don't think Rocco (bass player) is touring with them currently, though.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Someone once told me that Steve wrote and recorded dopey pop song to pay for the lifestyle he really enjoyed...touring around playing blues in small clubs.

Don't know if that's true, but it sure makes a nice story.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

That's gold, compared to this...

Abra-abra-cadabra

I want to reach out and grab ya

Abra-abra-cadabra

Abracadabra

Stuff and things.

Last year, we saw TOP at the Greek Theatre with the Average White band and War. MUCH better bill...

...and TOP was the middle act. War was the headliner. :cool:

Deeply funky show. :thu::rawk:

dB

I would like to see that show. TOP/Journey/Steve Miller seems really strange together.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Saw TOP last year at the NAMM show. They were killing it, though I have no idea who the organist was (their last guy two guys had joined Santana), and I don't think that was Rocco onstage either, although I couldn't really get close enough to verify that.
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Yeah, it is strange. And frankly, regardless of record sales and ticket sales, I wouldnt want to have to follow Tower of Power, but since record and ticket sales are a better indicator of who will put asses in the seats, Im just glad TOP is on the bill.

As Frank Zappa once said. I can take about an hour on the Tower of Power, as long as I gets a little golden....

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

TOP were in Orlando a couple of weeks ago. Rocco was absent because of a health challenge, and the KB player (Roger Smith?) played LH bass. I had a gig, but half the musicians in Orlando were there. They were pretty much all blown away, bass players included.

As far as that three band billing, it is kind of an odd combination :) Could be good, though. Journey has the best songwriting, to my taste, and TOP is mighty. SM, not so much. IMHO

Last year, we saw TOP at the Greek Theatre with the Average White band and War. MUCH better bill...

dB

That would have been a show to see.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

An odd combination of genre's, but all three achieved their success while based out of the SF bay area (if you include Oakland in that area) and in basically the same era (time frame +- a few years), so they'll have much the same audience age range.
Nobody told me there'd be days like these...

In some cities at least, this show is playing in outdoor "sheds." I'm mixed about this. OTOH, with many coming for the other acts and arriving later, it may be possible to move up to a good spot for ToP's set, depending on how strict the venue is.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Someone once told me that Steve wrote and recorded dopey pop song to pay for the lifestyle he really enjoyed...touring around playing blues in small clubs. Don't know if that's true, but it sure makes a nice story.

Steve Miller is a musician and a business man....a rare combination. He grew up in Texas playing the blues then taking the Steve Miller Blues Band to Chicago where he played blues 7 days a week...and if you are playing blues in Chicago you better bring your A game. Steve then moved the band to California where he signed a contract with Capitol Records that at the time was a state of the art contract for any artist...Steve would control every aspect of his music including owning his masters. At that point Steve decided to become financially independent by recording hit music...albums that have sold over 50 million copies incuding Fly Like An Eagle, Book Of Dreams, etc. During that time frame he also recorded an album titled Born To Be Blue. Everyone said it was not commercial and Steve knew that but he wanted to do an album of the blues. He could care less of what the critics say...Steve is his own man, one of the few rockers who Les Paul would invite to the stage to play with him. Steve continues to record the music that he likes and continues to tour because he likes to. You can make fun of some of his "hits" but never doubt his ability as a musician and business man. And if you want to get on stage and play with Steve....you better bring your A game too.

I'm hoping either Journey or Steve Miller decide they want to bring the TOP horns on for a few tunes. That'll be a fun writing gig.

Last year I got to write charts for them to appear with Rufus and War. It was fun to talk to Tony Maiden on the phone, and thank him for all the great tunes. He's an extremely nice guy.

The TOP horns also cut some parts on a tune for a new War CD. I haven't heard anything about it coming out, though.

dB

Saw that performance as well... I could have done without War...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Also just saw TOP at the Greek with Cheech and Chong!!!

Now THAT was a great bill!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Huge TOP fan, not a big Journey fan but...

A couple things about Steve Miller. A friend of mine is a music journalist, and got the chance to interview Miller promoting a show in the area a while ago. He said it was one of the funniest and coolest interviews he'd ever done. My friend had done his research, and asked Miller about the Chicago blues scene back in the day, and Miller told him some great stories. My friend came away a fan, and says that he feels like Miller is one of those guys that just loves to play music.

Also, I saw a recent SMB concert on Austin City Limits (I think, maybe it was one of the other OBS live music series), and I was surprised at how good it was. One of the Wooten clan plays keyboards, and is totally badass. He and the rhythm guitarist switched up on bass duties, so Wooten played key bass on about half the show, and killed it. THen band was tight as hell, and Miller took some really great solos, even though a lot of the material was pretty trite. I'd go see this tour just for TOP and SMB.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

My friend came away a fan, and says that he feels like Miller is one of those guys that just loves to play music.

__________________________________________________________________I have been friends with Steve for over 30 years and I can tell you he is one of the coolest people you will ever meet. No ego, just a whole lot of talent...and he has stories going back to the 60s when he was invtited to Abbey Road Studios to play on Beatles sessions. As I said in an earlier post...Steve is his own man and and he does what he wants to do. He is truly a legend.

My blues band opened for TOP last year(hence my avatar), Rocco was still touring with them..

Trust me, they should be opening for TOP!!

Jon it's Roger Smith in your picture right?

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

For you TOP fans, care to suggest their best records? I only have a couple songs of theirs and would love to hear some more.

I would suggest:

"Live And In Living Color" - They have several live albums. This one came out in 1976 or so.

"Back To Oakland" - has the original recording of "Squib Cakes". One of their best studio albums.

"In The Slot" - This was the last recording by the ground-breaking rhythm section.

Archived