Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Limited ed RED Ventilator

Tobias Åslund

I just found this:

http://www.thomann.de/gb/neo_instruments_ventilator_limited_edition.htm

http://a1.images5.thomann.de/pics/prod/318622.jpg

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got it because the regular Vent wasn't available anymore. It looks even better than the photo, and it does look good with the Nord C2D and the SK2.

58 Hammond B3, 74 Leslie 122, 64 Hammond, A100, 61 Leslie 45, Hammond XK-5 system, Hammond SX Pro, SKX Pro, MAG P-2, etc... owned many others...

Apparently there are mini-Vents shipping (Hal has one, posted it on FB) that are "For organ." Says so right on the box. I didn't see it on the web site. I don't know how or if these differ from the ones that are for guitar.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This is on the Vent page on Facebook. It was posted on August 29.

BIG NEWS! Neo has just announced the mini VENT for organ! Both mini Vent pedals are preset devices maintaining the highly acclaimed sound engine of the original model. Features of the model for organ include 2 switchable presets, stereo output, true bypass and built-in slow / fast / stop switching. It will include cabinet simulation for the Leslie 122 just like in the original Ventilator. There will be an A and B setting (preset) switch, just like on the mini VENT. In lieu of knobs, the Drive (intensity) and Distance have 5 programmable choices which can be pre-selected by the user for each setting, and then stored in memory. It will be in the same 4" x 4" box as the guitar model. It will be the same price as the guitar model, and should be available in stores at the end of September.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

479 (~$650) ?

For that money, I can have my vent powdercoated any color I like and pocket quite a bit of difference.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Okay, this is the Vent Limited Edition and the Mini Vent for Organ. I wanted to get the old Vent, but it wasn't available here in Europe, so I had to get the limited one. It was the B-stock one, so it was cheaper.

599353_10201540222003303_18797755_n.jpg

58 Hammond B3, 74 Leslie 122, 64 Hammond, A100, 61 Leslie 45, Hammond XK-5 system, Hammond SX Pro, SKX Pro, MAG P-2, etc... owned many others...

Okay, this is the Vent Limited Edition and the Mini Vent for Organ. I wanted to get the old Vent, but it wasn't available here in Europe, so I had to get the limited one. It was the B-stock one, so it was cheaper.

599353_10201540222003303_18797755_n.jpg

Could you please let us know how to do the programming and setting up the parameters for the Mini Vent? A little review please...!!

Mini vent is missing the hands on controls that make the regular sized vent so awesome! And the regular sized vent isn't exactly huge.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I really don't think these "mini-vents" are aimed at keyboard players.. I think they're aimed at guitar players and the keyboard version was simply an after-thought. Guitar players load these small effect pedals into pedal board/boxes with multiple effects all secured with Velcro and an AC strip all of which can be closed up, secured, and moved as a single unit. The original style of Ventilator far too large and not conducive to being built into one of these boxes, and I think that guitar players were choosing competitive products simply because they were smaller, square and fit better in with their other effects. Hence the new smaller square design of the min-vent.

Keyboard players don't typically have this problem, as our multi-effects are built into our keyboards, and it's only our desire for the perfect leslie effect that has driven us to purchase the Ventilator, and for most of us, I think we'll prefer the tweakability of the original vent with its 5 knobs rather than the smaller mini-vent with it's 5 presets. Last but not least, the original ventilator is a substantial thing (meaning it weighs a bit) and it doesn't move around as easy as the smaller pedal. I would far prefer the larger original Ventilator to this tiny min-vent that will no doubt to move all over the place if it's not secured to the floor some how (this was never a problem with the original Vent).

Sorry not a fan of this mini-vent thing, but I expect my guitar player will be!!

Honestly, I really don't give a crap what colour they come in, and given their limitations (one effect, one leslie type) I think they're now far to expensive given the release of the Burn that does so much more for less $$. The Leslie sim market is changing!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

@ Bill W: $425 for an excellent leslie sim that you can carry in your car's glove compartment or for $2,500+ (not included flight case) for 122/147 leslie that takes requires Two-Men-and-A-Truck ?

Yamaha CP-80/S80/S90es/P125/DGX-670/AN1x/MOTIF XS-Rack/CS6R/Roland D-50/Prophet 5(Rev 3.3.)/OBX8/Prophet 5 (Rev 4)/OB-8/Juno-60/Jupiter-6/Studiologic Numa Organ with Neo Ventilator/Korg Kronos

Just a little bit thing to say. The Mini Vent sounds the same as the Vent. But, like some of you guys noticed, it doesn't have an input for the halfmoon switch or some kinds of switch to change the speed of the Leslie sim. I talked to Guido Kirsh about this, and he knows how important it is for some organ players, so he's been working on some solutions.

He says, "My idea is to make a small PCB with a stereo jack socket that would replace the Slow / Fast switch. The switch and the jack socket have about the same diameter, so it's an easy, no-drill mod. There are 3 cables to solder to the DSP board, however, and the 2 switch wires have to be soldered to the new PCB to allow programming via a PCB switch."

Therefore, I strongly believe I will be able to use the halfmoon switch with the Mini Vent for Organ in the future. Also, I always use the mono (Out R) channel because I use a mono amp, so this is not a problem. If you have to use both channels for stereo and use the halfmoon switch together, this modification is not for you. You might wanna get the Vent II, the Vent Limited Ed, or the used Vent. If you change the speed of the Leslie sim by pressing the button on the unit, then I recommend the Mini Vent for Organ.

I will try to shoot a video about the Mini Vent for Organ with the SK1 and the C2D soon. By the way, programming is very simple and easy. I will try to include the process of changing the Drive and Distance when I shoot the video.

479 (~$650) ?

For that money, I can have my vent powdercoated any color I like and pocket quite a bit of difference.

If they had to mask around or replace the existing labels it might get more expensive. Can it be done?

"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

Just a little bit thing to say. The Mini Vent sounds the same as the Vent. But, like some of you guys noticed, it doesn't have an input for the halfmoon switch or some kinds of switch to change the speed of the Leslie sim. I talked to Guido Kirsh about this, and he knows how important it is for some organ players, so he's been working on some solutions.

He says, "My idea is to make a small PCB with a stereo jack socket that would replace the Slow / Fast switch. The switch and the jack socket have about the same diameter, so it's an easy, no-drill mod. There are 3 cables to solder to the DSP board, however, and the 2 switch wires have to be soldered to the new PCB to allow programming via a PCB switch."

Therefore, I strongly believe I will be able to use the halfmoon switch with the Mini Vent for Organ in the future. Also, I always use the mono (Out R) channel because I use a mono amp, so this is not a problem. If you have to use both channels for stereo and use the halfmoon switch together, this modification is not for you. You might wanna get the Vent II, the Vent Limited Ed, or the used Vent. If you change the speed of the Leslie sim by pressing the button on the unit, then I recommend the Mini Vent for Organ.

I will try to shoot a video about the Mini Vent for Organ with the SK1 and the C2D soon. By the way, programming is very simple and easy. I will try to include the process of changing the Drive and Distance when I shoot the video.

I rest my case, clearly the mini-vent was NOT designed for keyboard players and the keyboard model was an afterthought. Designing a Leslie pedal without the ability to connect a remote pedal, or a half moon Leslie switch is a major mistake, and it's not going to appeal to many keyboard players.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

479 (~$650) ?

If they had to mask around or replace the existing labels it might get more expensive. Can it be done?

Definitely. And you are right that masking will make it more expensive. In the whole powder coating process, masking can be the most time-consuming. If I were doing this, I'd probably just make my own labels, maybe burn my own screen and silkscreen it.

I think powdercoating involves baking the paint on in an industrial oven. Give the folks at NASA a call. :)

Actually, you can powder coat using a toaster oven provided the part's small enough to fit inside!

I rest my case, clearly the mini-vent was NOT designed for keyboard players and the keyboard model was an afterthought. Designing a Leslie pedal without the ability to connect a remote pedal, or a half moon Leslie switch is a major mistake, and it's not going to appeal to many keyboard players.

Hardly.

You dont NEED an external switch. These things are built like tanks, and now that theres no tweaking to be done, you set it up on the floor. Just like the footswitch for your real leslie. Not everyone uses a halfmoon. Hes just providing an economical alternative. It will appeal to some keyboardists.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Hardly.

You dont NEED an external switch. These things are built like tanks, and now that theres no tweaking to be done, you set it up on the floor. Just like the footswitch for your real leslie. Not everyone uses a halfmoon. Hes just providing an economical alternative. It will appeal to some keyboardists.

A very small some...

My point is that the keyboard model is an afterthought.. and I think you're missing that point.. the guitar model was announced with great fan fare but at the time there was no keyboard version. Now a keyboard version appears (because a bunch of people were asking why not?).. and now they're talking about some kind of modification to add a remote switch??? Just another afterthought..

Do you have one on order Tony?

Craig MacDonald

Somebody missed a point, and it wasn't me. REREAD those 2 posts again.

Or, to make it easier for you:

Afterthought? (no comment made)

It won't appeal to keyboardists because no halfmoon capability or external switching: I countered that for the right guy, it IS appealing.

No I didn't order one. I'm quite happy with the original.

Did you? It's kind of like all gear: YMMV.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Somebody missed a point, and it wasn't me. REREAD those 2 posts again.

Or, to make it easier for you:

Afterthought? (no comment made)

It won't appeal to keyboardists because no halfmoon capability or external switching: I countered that for the right guy, it IS appealing.

No I didn't order one. I'm quite happy with the original.

Did you? It's kind of like all gear: YMMV.

I won't be buying one either, for a number of reasons.. I prefer the design of the original.. I don't think the features of it will appeal to a typical keyboard player. I think the original design is much more appealing. It's also far too expensive for what it does, especially considering the new kid on the block..

Craig MacDonald

And in two months the Vent II will be the 'new' new kid on the block. I can wait for it especially considering that the current new kid on the block doesn't sound better than the old kid on the block.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

Therefore, I strongly believe I will be able to use the halfmoon swnitch with the Mini Vent for Organ in the future. Also, I always use the mono (Out R) channel because I use a mono amp, so this is not a problem. If you have to use both channels for stereo and use the halfmoon switch together, this modification is not for you. You might wanna get the Vent II, the Vent Limited Ed, or the used Vent. If you change the speed of the Leslie sim by pressing the button on the unit, then I recommend the Mini Vent for Organ.

I don't know, Craig... I have no problem using a foot switch for my Leslie speeds...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Its not the foot switch that is the problem as much as the fact that it's the only option! Again I think the keyboard version of this is an afterthought.. (the Neo Instruments website still has the original announcement of the minivent as a guitar effect!).. I'll reserve judgment on this thing until I hear for certain what the selling price is..

I'm using a remote foot switch tomorrow night with my new Burn, I like that flexibility. My burn will sit up on a stand beside me where I can manually tweak it for room/mix.

Craig MacDonald

And in two months the Vent II will be the 'new' new kid on the block. I can wait for it especially considering that the current new kid on the block doesn't sound better than the old kid on the block.

Can you provide context on "the current new kid on the block doesn't sound better than the old kid on the block"? I don't have the old kid, so I certainly cannot speak to that guy; HOWEVER, I do have the "new kid" and I can tell you, it is extremely flexible with its unbelievable editing capabilities. I have a 122, 22H and 740 and I can tell you the "new kid" knows what he's doing!!! I also paid 1/2 the price compared to what the old kid used to cost and imho it's in a different league capabilities wise.

-------------------------------

Nord Stage 3, Mojo Classic, Leslie 771, Vent

OB1, I don't think that DD actually has the "new kid on the block" (the Burn).. so I'm not sure what he's based his comments on.. I have both.. Vent and Burn, and I can tell you that the Burn is just as capable of creating as beautiful a 122 leslie as the Ventilator is, and it can create much more.. I took advantage of the "first 100" offer and got it for a steal (tax/shipping/duty/hard shell case, all in, delivered to my doorstep all for $350). I have my choice of great sounding leslies and amp sims.. and I am having a great time building different leslie presets for my gig with my classic rock band this Saturday night. I have a nice clean warm 122, gritty rock 147, Jon Lord stack of amps, I'm even working on a Steppenwolf preset using the single rotor guitar leslie. The new kid is setting a new standard for leslie sims.

Craig MacDonald

Archived