Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog discontinuing Little Phatty

Bucktunes

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just a few more months, or until the parts bins run out...

Bye bye Little Phatty

I wonder if that means the Slim Phatty is on its way out as well. It doesn't say anything about it, but it uses mostly the same parts, so...

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Wow - that's surprising. It still seems like a pretty popular board. And the article doesn't mention why it's being discontinued. Maybe something that's clearly new and better and overlapping, but they want people to buy up the existing stock before they announce it?

Maybe I'll hang on to my slim phatty after all. I had actually thought to myself that selling it wasn't a big deal because they were in constant supply if I needed one down the road...

Just a few more months, or until the parts bins run out...

Bye bye Little Phatty

I wonder if that means the Slim Phatty is on its way out as well. It doesn't say anything about it, but it uses mostly the same parts, so...

I'm guessing it will be replaced with a module that has the Sub Phatty engine, but they will call it Slim Phatty II because Slim Sub Phatty would sound too unwieldy.

The Little Phatty proved that you CAN sell boatloads of a well-engineered synthesizer, even if you give it the most moronic name imaginable.

When I heard the name, I swore I'd never buy one. But I did.

Think how many more they could have sold, if it had been named something that a someone might actually want to own. I mean, do they have anyone doing marketing at Moog?

Now, I am sure I'll get jumped on here, as no doubt there were/are a few people who thought that "Little Phatty" was a great name for a neat bit of technology. And hey, it probably even inspired Dave Smith to develop the.... Mopho.

"Hey there Mo'Pho', 'sup wit yo Phatty?"

So what's after the Little Phatty? The Little Pudgy? The Big WetOne? The MoogerBooger?

Ack.

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

The Little Phatty proved that you CAN sell boatloads of a well-engineered synthesizer, even if you give it the most moronic name imaginable.

Think how many more they could have sold, if it had been named something that a someone might actually want to own.

To be fair, you have to admit that the first time you learned there was a keyboard called the MiniMoog, you probably thought it sounded pretty goofy too -- no matter how you thought it was pronounced.

So what's after the Little Phatty? The Little Pudgy? The Big WetOne? The MoogerBooger?

The Obese Oscillation? :laugh:

Dirgy Diabetes Diodebased Deathboard.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Think how many more they could have sold, if it had been named something that a someone might actually want to own. I mean, do they have anyone doing marketing at Moog?

Now, I am sure I'll get jumped on here, as no doubt there were/are a few people who thought that "Little Phatty" was a great name for a neat bit of technology. And hey, it probably even inspired Dave Smith to develop the.... Mopho.

"Hey there Mo'Pho', 'sup wit yo Phatty?"

Ack.

Watch the video. They talk about the name.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I smell a Bigger Sub Phatty....Sub Phatty architecture with 37 Keys and 100 presets please. :wave:

yeah, and THREE REAL OSCILLATORS, no need for "subs". :D :D

The *real* Mini for the 21th century!

It will be called "High Cholesterol"

Think how many more they could have sold, if it had been named something that a someone might actually want to own.

To be fair, you have to admit that the first time you learned there was a keyboard called the MiniMoog, you probably thought it sounded pretty goofy too -- no matter how you thought it was pronounced.

Nope. Not in 1970

Why fit in, when you were born to stand out ?

My Soundcloud with many originals:

[70's Songwriter]

I bought my Little Phatty (Tribute Edition) originally thinking that if I liked it enough, I'd sell it and "upgrade" to a Voyager. Well, I really liked the Little Phatty, but never felt compelled to upgrade.

The Tribute is a gorgeous instrument, IMHO, although I wish the keybed was worthy of the design. Regardless, I'd rather play a synth solo on this guy anytime, vs any other synth I've ever owned.

http://www.fototime.com/255C7DCE08C44F5/medium800.jpg

I also like the look of these white ones that are selling now... I should probably scrape up $1,500 from somewhere and get one before they're gone.

http://www.iheartsynths.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/WhitePhattyFront-1.jpg

Michael

Montage 8, Logic Pro X, Omnisphere, Diva, Zebra 2, etc.

Can anyone share some good examples of what it sounds like? I'm sure there are a ton of clips of it, but I'm hoping someone can share ones they think are really cool.

Y'know, because I need more GAS. :laugh:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

First of all, you have to love a band using three keyboard players. :thu:

Second, that was an interesting set up, with the audience in the middle and wearing headphones.

Third, cool sound. Thanks! :D

I want one. It has been an item that I put off thinking that I can get one later. I don't really need one. I am going to fool around and not be able to get one. Sort of like what I did regarding the Poly Evolver.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I tried the LittlePhatty and the Slim Phatty and quite frankly, they didn't do it for me. From the build quality to the limitations inherent in a smaller footprint I sold both quickly.

That said, perhaps I am spoiled by the Moog Voyager and modular...

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

I've tried making a digital "clone" of analog synths. While doing so and in hindsight trying to verify what I learned, I'd say it's possible Moog thought something along the lines of "the latest Prince album sucked". Of course this is popular language among the not detail retentive, and most people will have other reasons for not trying to improve that situation. Of course I mean "the latest Prince" in a interchangeable way, like "that Beethoven performance was very moderate", etc.

Archived