Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Moog discontinuing Little Phatty

Bucktunes

I think the Lil PHattys replacement is already here.the Sub Phatty (and the Minitaur).

I think I would have liked the Phattys more if their keybeds didnt feel like such junk. That said, Id like one in white!

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've never bonded with the sound of the Phatty, or even a Voyager. Must be something wrong with me.

Are there any analog synths that have connected for you?

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Can anyone share some good examples of what it sounds like? I'm sure there are a ton of clips of it, but I'm hoping someone can share ones they think are really cool.

Y'know, because I need more GAS. :laugh:

Check out the solo at 4:05.

[video:youtube]eZBlRkF0-to

Just saw them last Friday - amazing performers live if you get the chance.

That youtube clip is an extended form of the band for the recording, but they do usually have two keyboardists live, which is always nice to see.

My personal favorite from the groundUP album. (There's also some nice phatty sounds in this to keep it slightly on topic)

[video:youtube]gQ99OMlI5cg

I've never bonded with the sound of the Phatty, or even a Voyager. Must be something wrong with me.

Yes! :laugh:

I bet Moe bonded with the synths he built. That modular system was a beast.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I think the Lil PHattys replacement is already here.the Sub Phatty (and the Minitaur).

I think I would have liked the Phattys more if their keybeds didnt feel like such junk. ...

Bummer!

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I know Mate has had a Rhodes Chroma and expander for years. I seem to recall a picture of his massive gigging rig of yesteryear with either a Prophet 5 or MiniMoogor both.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

I know Mate has had a Rhodes Chroma and expander for years. I seem to recall a picture of his massive gigging rig of yesteryear with either a Prophet 5 or MiniMoogor both.

If I had a rig like that, no new analog synth would sound good to me either. ;)

I certainly feel this way. The 'Sub' is misleading in that you can play great leads on it. And with the Multidrive it can scream nicely.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

I'm bonded with Chroma, Oberheim Xpander, Oberheim 4 Voice, OB-X, Moog Modular, E-MU Modular, SSM Prophets, and my Synth of Doom. I loved the original JP-8, liked the JP-80, didn't care so much for the JP-6.

For single oscillator polys, give me a Poly 6 or Juno-60, or even an MKS-50.

While I didn't ever really bond with the original MiniMoog (hated the pitch/mod wheel design), I did love the sound.

I've sat in on a Phatty a few times playing those old ELP tunes Lucky Man and From the Beginning, and messed with Voyagers in music stores. I just never could get them to sound warm and fat like a Mini.

Moe

---

I think I would have liked the Phattys more if their keybeds didnt feel like such junk.

That, plus I didn't like the knobs on the one I tried. They seemed cheap and even a bit loose as well. Quite a disappointment.

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Exactly, just didn't feel good.

I'm glad someone agrees with me.

The first time I posted my "mini review" of the Phatty and listed various gripes, I was almost flamed.

:idk

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

I think I would have liked the Phattys more if their keybeds didnt feel like such junk.

I thought the same thing. The keybed just felt cheap. Actually, my Miniak keybed is no worse, and it was around $300.

I truly wish Moog well and hope they can become a stronger company. My hat's off to any US company making it in the music gear manufacturing industry.

Kurzweil Forte, Yamaha Motif ES7, Muse Receptor 2 Pro Max, Neo Ventilator

I thought the same thing. The keybed just felt cheap. Actually, my Miniak keybed is no worse, and it was around $300.

I truly wish Moog well and hope they can become a stronger company. My hat's off to any US company making it in the music gear manufacturing industry.

This may be sacrilege, but I am really not impressed with the Sub Phatty either. Felt cheap, and did not sound anything like a Moog. Its like 40 years later and if your new product does not sound as good as the one you made in 1972, you are in trouble.

And that keyboard! You got to be kidding....

What some companies do to hit a price point.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

[fanboy] First folks bitched because Moogs were unaffordable. Moog releases an affordable, feature-packed synth and people bitched because they had to cut some corners. Then they came out with a new addition to the classic tone color (multidrive) in a form factor that seems to be selling well (25-key) at a price point that puts a Moog in every house and people are still bitching. Mike Adams is keeping the doors open. We should be rejoicing that they are making instruments AND money. [/fanboy]

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

But c'mon.., a 25 key keyboard?

I'm hip. Doesn't seem to bother these kids today. Wasn't all that long ago that we bought synthesizers that had no keyboard all.

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

Fanboy Ken, I am with you. :) The cheap stuff pays for the cool stuff.

If we don't like the LP's keybed, we can get the Slim. (Um, it's got aftertouch.) :D

If we don't like the SubPhatty keyboard, we can ... just wait a bit. Some kind of module will appear after SlimPhatty is retired. Speaking of new things at Moog, I notice they have applied for the trademark for "minifoogers". Conventional wisdom is that it's a line of small (and presumably cheap) foogers. I think the opposite could be very cool: the modules of the Minimoog in fooger format ... including oscillators and ADR/ADSR. :love:

Ok, so maybe I prefer the cool stuff to the cheap stuff. :blush:

Having had a Electric Blue since 2005 it is well overdue for an update. The osc tracking just doesnt stay in tune long enough and compared to the sub phatty the sound is lacking as well.

Multi-drive and the new filter design seems like a home run. :)

As to oscillators though ... I like the harmonic content of the Sub/Minitaur oscillators (at least through the mixer. I haven't heard them tapped out directly) Even though they are more work, free-running still sounds superior to me for leads and drones. I can hear precisely tuned detuning. It's kind of small. :(

YMMV.

If they bring the SubPhatty oscillators into a new Voyager, I hope they at least find a way to randomize the pitch and phase of oscillators in software. Since they can already phase align them, it may simply be a matter of code. Or maybe they'll find a third oscillator design. :thu:

Multi-drive and the new filter design seems like a home run. :)

As to oscillators though ... I like the harmonic content of the Sub/Minitaur oscillators (at least through the mixer. I haven't heard them tapped out directly) Even though they are more work, free-running still sounds superior to me for leads and drones. I can hear precisely tuned detuning. It's kind of small. :(

YMMV.

If they bring the SubPhatty oscillators into a new Voyager, I hope they at least find a way to randomize the pitch and phase of oscillators in software. Since they can already phase align them, it may simply be a matter of code. Or maybe they'll find a third oscillator design. :thu:

The Minitaur and the SubPhatty have the new oscillators :)

I can get the phasing on the Voyager but as soon as you play an octave higher the tracking for one of the oscillators changes and starts sounds de-tuned in a non-musical way.

Now whenever i tune my Voyager for some time it sounds absolutely great but that doesnt last very long...

-Music Is The Soul Of Life-

And what will Moog come up with to compete with the Prophet 12?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I can get the phasing on the Voyager but as soon as you play an octave higher the tracking for one of the oscillators changes and starts sounds de-tuned in a non-musical way.

Now whenever i tune my Voyager for some time it sounds absolutely great but that doesnt last very long...

Analog personality and a V/Octave system. ;)

Actually, yours sounds a bit like an extreme scaling issue as well. Voyagers are pretty stable. Have you had someone look at yours?

For the record, the LP is one of the few keyboard I've really, really connected with, and that I've always found inspiring to play.

Yes, it might have a stupid name (which is why I prefer "LP"), and yes, the keybed isn't the best, but I love that freaking keyboard.

Last February, I splurged on a Minimoog Voyager, assuming it would be superior to the LP. It wasn't. Although the keybed was better, and it sounded great, I just didn't vibe with it like I did the LP. So I returned it.

(though frankly, if I could get one at a super cheap price I would probably hang on to it.)

I have a few different keyboards, but I ALWAYS have my organ and Moog LP ready at hand to play.

Analog personality and a V/Octave system. ;)

Actually, yours sounds a bit like an extreme scaling issue as well. Voyagers are pretty stable. Have you had someone look at yours?

I tuned it some 10 or more months ago and its seen quite a few gigs during that period, at least once a week. :))

Maybe that explains it, all that bumping around probably knocked the scaling off.

Time for another tune up I think!

-Music Is The Soul Of Life-

Archived