Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Yamaha CP4

While looking yesterday in a local GC for the CP4 to try, they didnt have 1, but, there was a used cp5. I sold mine a year ago due to weight issues...the piano, not me...After playing 4 a few, I was reminded of just how good the 5 is, and how much I miss it.

Im going to look up the 4's specs, see just how heavy the thing is.

After all of the glowing reviews here, I have to try one.

DP,s...the search never seems to end.

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the internal speakers have a mute switch?

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book." Find 700 of Harry’s piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and jazz piano tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas

Tim, who's the fetching young lady in your photo? Did Santa get a new helper?

A special friend as a result of a long curious story that's not finished yet. It starts with the gal who has been cutting my hair for 15 years, includes a nomination in a local magazine as one of the East Bay's most eligible bachelors, a photo shoot, dislocating my left elbow (and it popping back into place), and Brooke, the very beautiful gal in the photo.

Story's not finished yet, but frankly the way my life goes I'm pretty sure I'm in a tragedy, not a comedy (to quote a recent Will Ferrell movie).

I wanted to love it but didn't find it anything like the C1 I use about twice a month. Was hoping for that kind of weight so that I could "own" the C1 when I sat down at it (instead of struggling for an hour to get used to it). Of course the unhelpful GC doofus hovering at my left elbow didn't help.

Very much loving mine - such a pleasure to play on after gigging on a Nord Electro 4HP for a while. It really pays to play with some of the more obscure parameters to hone in on the perfect sound/feel. I am also extremely pleased with it in mono. I find that if you use the Right output (instead of left/mono) it sounds better. And of course if you use the mono source samples, this doesn't matter.
Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

A special friend as a result of a long curious story that's not finished yet. It starts with the gal who has been cutting my hair for 15 years, includes a nomination in a local magazine as one of the East Bay's most eligible bachelors, a photo shoot, dislocating my left elbow (and it popping back into place), and Brooke, the very beautiful gal in the photo.

I like where this story is going. :thu:

Very much loving mine - such a pleasure to play on after gigging on a Nord Electro 4HP for a while.

Is this because you prefer the action on the CP4 to the Electro? What about the Electro's action did you not like?

Yes, primarily the action. The CP4 is aces in that regard, at least for me personally.

I found the Electro's action to be a bit sluggish, particularly with repeated notes, and a little too easy to top out the velocity.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I agreed. The Nord 4HP was on my short list and I was so disappointed by the action. Hated it.

I really like the CP4 action - I just finished my last xmas gig and the board did a great job. Sounded great - one of the bass players even commented how much better it sounded than my last keyboard, which come to think of it was an Electro 3 last year.

I finally found one of these to try out this week, and have mixed feelings, so will now finally try to find time to get down to the store that has the Kawai.

It was hard to judge the action as the keyboard was slanted upwards. It might be a bit heavy but the escapement is much improved and amongst the best I've tried, so I suspect it's overall the best current action on a portable digital keyboard (I compared to the RD700 while I was there, amongst others).

Soundwise, I've just never been a fan of Yamaha grands, except for in the context of a rock mix and SOME (but not all) jazz material. What surprised me though was that Piano 2 worked better than Piano 1 for me, as the latter was so abrasive and overly bright and harsh with the default settings. Piano 3 worked on some material. I don't remember which anymore; one worked on classical and the other on rock, with jazz split evenly between them. NOTHING worked for me on Piano 1, the flagship(?).

Anyway, given my need for tripedal connections, my interest int he CP4 is greatly diminished, but sound-wise and action-wise it seems a huge step up from the CP-5, and the Rhodes really barks and reacts well to dynamics. I couldn't get a convincing Wurly and the Clav was useless, but again, I was using the default settings and also crippled by the upwards angle of the keyboard on one of those wall racks.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Well I finally got to play a CP4 myself today. I had already recommended it to 2 students solely based on the comments in this thread. I went over to one of my student's houses to try his new instrument. I took my EV ZLX12P to hear how it would sound through the rig I'd be playing it through. I also brought my headphones.

Based on everything I've ready in this thread (18 pages for me) I had high expectations. I am really happy to say that this instrument exceeded them in every way.

Action: Very solid and extremely playable. Based on what some people were saying in this thread I was worried that it might be too 'heavy' of an action. I don't know what they meant, but the action was extremely pianistic and I was very pleased with it. I'll have no problem playing quickly and easily on this beast live.

Piano Sound: I am so thrilled with the brightness of the new sample. This will likely be my go to for live stuff. Bright enough to cut, but substantive enough to stand on its own. Sounded awesome and FFF and PPP.

Other Sounds: Rhodes were very inspiring for me. I am not a Rhodes aficionado, but I think I have everything I need. I was really pleased with the dynamic response as well from a whisper to a banging FFF. I was also very happy with 2 other inclusions. I am thrilled with the amount of synth sounds included. They aren't really editable, but they will be very useful I think when I couple this board with my XS6 for Top 40 playing. The second thing that blew me away was the HARPSICHORD. I stumbled upon and was floored with how great it sounded and the awesome release samples. I couldn't help but play all the Bach I had memorized. I wish I had brought some more to play because it was a real joy.

I was impressed with the evenness of the sound and response throughout all registers. Jazz lines sounded great through the whole range of the instrument.

Lastly, I was really impressed by the simplicity of the layout. It was so easy to do everything I wanted to do. Setting up a split was a cinch, and even routing reverb to different parts of the split was so natural. They really make the most of that little display.

In short, I will be buying one ASAP. I think Yamaha has a huge winner here, and I would expect this to become a benchmark for years to come. Great job Yamaha.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

And just when I had the GAS under control, Bobby has to open his big mouth... :)

You might as well give up and get it over with, Aidan. :crazy:

I checked out a CP4 today, and took it home. Pretty impressive; so far, my initial impressions line up with Bobby's review. I'll post further thoughts tomorrow, or Wednesday - as I'm using it for piano on a gig tomorrow night.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

To be fair, Dana, I think the recent stability in both my own and Allan's rigs has been pretty impressive. As for Dave Ferris, I think he's almost retired from the game :)

Allan, notwithstanding, I look forward to reading your thoughts.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

Allan, when can we expect to see the CP4 in the Garage Sale? :poke:

Apparently you haven't yet checked the early edition of the Garage Sale. It was a memorable night, but I kicked that trampy little piano to the curb first thing this morning ;)

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

Apparently you haven't yet checked the early edition of the Garage Sale. It was a memorable night, but I kicked that trampy little piano to the curb first thing this morning ;)

Let me guess, you sold it to Aidan? ;)

Apparently it didn't waste any time hopping a jet across the pond. :D

To be fair, Dana, I think the recent stability in both my own and Allan's rigs has been pretty impressive.....

Add brother tonysounds to the "reasonable stability" list, save for the occasional clonewheel swap out. You guys are letting us down. Then again, NAMM is just around the corner.....

Truth be told, Allan and I have been in cahoots, shrinking and enlarging our Kronoses. God that doesn't sound good....

Sorry for spilling the beans, brother Allan, but it is fun to horse-trade every once in a while....win-win.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

Gentlemen, I need your professional advice!

I'm a classical pianist in Dubai. I also write music and about to buy a digital piano to record piano compositions with instrumental arrangement.

So, if you would have to choose between Yamaha CP4 and Roland 700NX in terms of the most natural/realistic sounds of classical instruments (piano, strings, flute etc), which one you prefer?

I'm quite desperate, as the guys in the showroom here have no clue about the products they sell...

Thanks a lot and absolutely appreciate any suggestions!