Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VR-09 Hints and Tips

Your welcome. It's funny, our synth products managers Brandon Ryan and Ed Diaz avoid me because I bug them so much about this update LOL. They repeat that the update has been communicated to them, but no timeline was provided by our headquarters in Japan. By the way, Ed Diaz has a popular YouTube channel for Roland synths. Here is his channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/diazeo

It has been a while since his last post, this probably due to our shift in the way we handle our product support. Here is a blog post that recently went up that explains how to get the best use of our support channels: http://ow.ly/mZa8b

For example, here are some VR-09 videos from our knowledge base (one of our new support channels): http://ow.ly/mZa3a

Basically, we are now making videos out of customer queries to help the entire community. This way if anyone has a question they can get an answer after business hours. I'm thinking that this forum could be a good source for content ideas since you guys seem to be at the forefront of this product. No promises - just a thought. I haven't mentioned anything to our support team.

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do have one question : when will the VR-09 editor be available on the PC, Mac or Android ? Some people do not have an iPad and the VA synth section of the VR-09 is pretty useless without the editor.

I would like to second this question.

I would also like to add that if there is a way to adjust the MIX of some of the effects, particularly the MIX of the delay, that would be helpful. If it has to be via an editor, that's fine.

Most importantly, other than the bugs reported here and on the Roland blog entry on the VR09, the looper is incredibly clunky. There needs to be a quick way to erase a loop, which takes, like, three button presses right now, and those button presses aren't even in the same part of the interface...one is on the right at the looper, the second is in the middle at the screen, and the third back at the looper.

The looper needs to sync to the BPM set in the rhythm section or from MIDI. Also, an undo function would be very handy. Sync and erase are critical.

Thanks! I am enjoying my VR09 otherwise.

Your welcome. It's funny, our synth products managers Brandon Ryan and Ed Diaz avoid me because I bug them so much about this update LOL. They repeat that the update has been communicated to them, but no timeline was provided by our headquarters in Japan. By the way, Ed Diaz has a popular YouTube channel for Roland synths. Here is his channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/diazeo

It has been a while since his last post, this probably due to our shift in the way we handle our product support. Here is a blog post that recently went up that explains how to get the best use of our support channels: http://ow.ly/mZa8b

For example, here are some VR-09 videos from our knowledge base (one of our new support channels): http://ow.ly/mZa3a

Basically, we are now making videos out of customer queries to help the entire community. This way if anyone has a question they can get an answer after business hours. I'm thinking that this forum could be a good source for content ideas since you guys seem to be at the forefront of this product. No promises - just a thought. I haven't mentioned anything to our support team.

OV Valle, welcome to the forum. Your presence here is a great first step. I myself am pretty brand neutral when it comes to music gear and will buy the best product for my needs for the best price available.

Reading these boards, there is a great deal harsh sentiment towards Roland in general about lack of support towards your products, especially regarding software updates. If you haven't already, I strongly suggest you read the behemoth thread that ensued after the VR-09 was announced and bring it to the attention of any of your colleagues who may want to know what the general musical community is saying about your products.

I realize that you personally have no control over when (or even if) the VR-09 software update will be released, but is is comforting to know that there is someone out there who is 'bugging' the product managers on our behalf for further forward motion on this.

I hope that you stick around and are able to answer questions from prospective buyers or owners about features and resolve issues. I myself just discovered an issue with my VR-09 and don't know how to approach getting support.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

... And watch our for that guy "HammondDave"... (J/K).

Welcome OV Valle... Everyone is welcome here.....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I'm not sure he'll really gain an impression of what the community thinks based on reading the extended argument between Craig and HammondDave. Roland have certainly provided updates for their gear, e.g. the Fantom-X went through a series of minor updates and then to version 2.00. Claims to the contrary seem to be unsupported. The BK series also recently went through a series of updates that not only corrected bugs but added functionality. Roland support can be easily contacted via the Roland website. My queries re the VR-09 have been answered helpfully and clearly within 24 hours. It is great to have them checking in on the forum. I'm really hoping the O.S. update makes the expression pedal on the VR-09 useable (assignable like the damper pedal, and with some more options re the curve, i.e. linear, scooped out exponential curve).

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

I'm not sure he'll really gain an impression of what the community thinks based on reading the extended argument between Craig and HammondDave. Roland have certainly provided updates for their gear, e.g. the Fantom-X went through a series of minor updates and then to version 2.00. Claims to the contrary seem to be unsupported. The BK series also recently went through a series of updates that not only corrected bugs but added functionality. Roland support can be easily contacted via the Roland website. My queries re the VR-09 have been answered helpfully and clearly within 24 hours. It is great to have them checking in on the forum. I'm really hoping the O.S. update makes the expression pedal on the VR-09 useable (assignable like the damper pedal, and with some more options re the curve, i.e. linear, scooped out exponential curve).

Thanks for pointing these out.

My VR-09 is actually my first Roland product and so far I'm very happy. I am completely neutral re: Roland and didn't want to give off any impressions otherwise.

HammondDave was not the only one disappointed with Roland's track record. Just the most vocal... :)

I agree that the expression pedal functionality would top my wish list...

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

HammondDave was not the only one disappointed with Roland's track record. Just the most vocal... :)

Well, I have never been accused of being a "wallflower".

...and neither has Craig....

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Don't get me wrong, I found both Craig and Dave's banter very helpful in providing me with enough information to assess whether this thing was worth considering and what the issues were before I walked into the store to give it a spin. But if I was a Roland rep reading most of the banter would just constitute half an hour of my life that I wouldn't get back.

Gig keys: Hammond SKpro, Korg Vox Continental, Crumar Mojo 61, Crumar Mojo Pedals

Well, I have never been accused of being a "wallflower".

...and neither has Craig....

Wallflower...?? hmm let me think.. ahhhhhhhh, nope.

Regarding this thread and the issues with Roland, I'm not quite ready to say "I told you so Hammonddave", not quite yet, but we've been told by two different Roland reps that there is an OS update coming.. and OV has now joined the forum so we have a Roland Rep monitoring the thread and providing assistance now!!

Two very positive steps!!

As soon as the OS update comes out, I'll start my "I told you so Hammonddave" thread..

;-)

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I'm not sure if I've unearthed a new fault or whether this is a specific fault with my unit.

I've recently bought a VR09 and for the most part I'm very impressed. Organ is pretty decent, synth good, piano ok, electric pianos are the weakest part in my opinion.

One thing I've noticed is that when I have percussion selected, the top harmonic drawbar doesn't work at all, whilst all the others do. On my Nord C1 it does work so I'm not sure if this a VR09 quirk or perhaps mine is faulty?

I'd be interested to here from other owners on this.

The top drawbar does NOT work when percussion is turned on, and this is consistent with out a real Hammond works, so this behaviour is authentic. On the C1 I believe you have an option to allow turn this on or off. It is working as designed, correctly, as per the original design of the 3 series Hammonds.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Hello. I have recently purchased a VR-09 and need to get a music rest for it. Can anyone please tell me which is the correct one to buy?

Did you find some music rest that may potentially fit ?

Last time i look, there was no music rest listed on roland website. I briefly looked at a Nord Stage rest, but i could not find any measurements or specifications whatsoever, so I can't tell if it fits the VR-09.

Contact roland, or maybe OV will answer this question for us... However, I was told that its the same rack that is used in one of the Juno models.. I'm just not sure which model.

Edit... Maybe as Brenner points out it was same rack as the BK series.. I thought the rep told me it was the Juno series but I could be mistaken.. and this was several months ago.. but my roland rep did say it was a common rack used in another keyboard model.. you just need to find out which it is and order it from Roland. OV can you shed some light on this?

Craig MacDonald

Hello. I have recently purchased a VR-09 and need to get a music rest for it. Can anyone please tell me which is the correct one to buy?

Did you find some music rest that may potentially fit ?

Last time i look, there was no music rest listed on roland website. I briefly looked at a Nord Stage rest, but i could not find any measurements or specifications whatsoever, so I can't tell if it fits the VR-09.

I seem to remember someone mentioned on the other monster thread that the BK-series music rests will work for the VR09; however I have yet to find any measurements or dimensions to help determine it will fit.

I happened to have some thick gauge wire lying around that I bent into a shape resembling a music rest. I'll try to get a photo posted soon. It ain't pretty, but works well as a place for an iPad. I plan to make another one soon, as this one kind of gets in the way of the top travel of the drawbars.

I have ordered several other keyboard parts from http://www.syntaur.com

And have been pleased with every transaction. Perhaps they would provide measurements of this item if one were to ask them?

http://www.syntaur.com/images/3823-Lg.jpg

http://www.syntaur.com/images/3823-Lg.jpg

OV at the Roland forum checked product support for me.

Here was their response:

Yes, the FP-50/80 music rack works on the VR-09. Part number is 5100030959 and the price is $59.20. This can be ordered directly from Customer Support at 323-890-3700.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Vr09 stereo piano samples mono compatable?

I know there is a " mono piano.but it sux! I user the stereo pianos via the left/mono output and hear no canceling distortions so is it summig correctly??_

i always figured that every keyboard, when using the L/mono output, that the keyboard would know theres only one cable inside, and would automatically send out the sound mixed down to mono, correctly.

would figure that all the midi stereo sounds were mixed to work with mono also. no?\\

on the vr09 built in demo songs, theres a song called nightlights. i think its the second demo.

theres an arpegiated sound playing in the background.does anyone have any clue if it was done only on the vr09 or together with an external sequencer? if so,any idea how to recreate it?

i posted also on the roland blog, so im waiting for a reply from them also

This is indeed the second demo on this board.

The sound is produced by the VR-09, including all effects (when you stop playing the demo, the delay keeps sounding the last note played...). The specific sound you are talking about seems to be a square lead, with a low pass filter and a low cut off frequency.

But the VR-09 does not have a built-in arpeggiator, so you either have to play all notes yourself, or you need an external arpeggiator or sequencer.