Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VR-09 Hints and Tips

While you can't change octaves on the organ, if you play it from an 88 note keyboard, all 88 notes will play the appropriate organ tones

That's surprising... I figured that the reason they didn't support octave shifting on the organ was that the organ "engine" was only designed to play the actual 61 notes of an organ, and they were afraid that people would try to octave-shift it out of its range (while not split, for example) and then they would think there was something wrong when some of the notes didn't play. But since it works out-of-range on the 88, that's not the reason, you've shown that it's perfectly capable of generating the notes that would allow all keys to sound even if it were octave shifted. So I wonder why they didn't support it.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe they didn't bother sorting out the foldback for above/below 61 and didn't want to hear people bitching when the foldback octaves move to unexpected places?

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Anyone uses the VR09 as a two keyboard organ/piano setup, with both the VR and the controller driving VR sounds? How do you like it and what do you use as a controller? Is it easy to configure and make it work properly?
Yes it works well. The only problem I experienced is that my controller will not reproduce the full velocity range as the vr keys do. I asked others if they experienced this and noone else has. That leads me to believe it's a controller issue.. not a vr issue. I would suggest you try your controller out with the vr before you buy if possible to assure there's no problems.

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

Take the MIDI out of your controller and run it into an app like where you can see the velocity out, and confirm that you can hit 127

for example

http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-monitor/id395750746

I'm sure there's something for Windows too

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

In the "splltting a piano or synth with an organ"section of the manual, there's a part that says:

"You can also add the organ sound by using the [uPPER/LOWER]

button to select the part to which the organ sound is not

assigned, and then lowering the harmonic bar."

That means you can also put another sound layered on the piano, even when you are already spltting the keyboard organ/piano...

I wonder If you can do the contrary to an organ split... For example, make an organ split... then set the lower side of the split drawbars all to 0... and assign a rhodes or clav to there, as if it was layered with the lower manual (but sounding alone), enjoying the leslie sim/overdrive that the organ has already assigned... If you can do that, then some cool options are open... Also, another thing was not really specified... can you change the organ/organ split point too?

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Take the MIDI out of your controller and run it into an app like where you can see the velocity out, and confirm that you can hit 127

fample

http://www.snoize.com/MIDIMonitor/

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/midi-monitor/id395750746

I'm sure there's something for Windows too

Thanks.. I actually plugged into my daw sequencer and tested the velocity. Could get up to 127 but had to almost bust the keys to get there... and still didnt bite like the vr. So went manual diving again for the np30. Went back into the touch sensitivity settings.. again.. and tried them all out... again. There are only 4 options. Fixed.. Soft... Medium.. Hard. Tried them all again and voila... the Soft setting seems to work like a charm. Went into the key sensitivity in the vr and set it to 8 and voila.. decent consistency between the 2... except the keys on the controller are deeper so bit better control between dynamics. So happy again. I was thinking that I was gonna have to fork out for a new controller. Don't know why I couldn't dial it in the first time. Only crappy part about my controller is that it doesnt retain setting changes. Not a huge deal.. just have to go thru a boot up checklist and hope the power doesn't crop out during a set.

Been playing upper.. lower for the past hour with several different sound configs. Sounds great and yes.. the reverb does remain on both splits when running vr and controller. I really do enjoy playing this thing... still no regrets.

Jay

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

In the "splltting a piano or synth with an organ"section of the manual, there's a part that says:

That means you can also put another sound layered on the piano, even when you are already spltting the keyboard organ/piano...

I wonder If you can do the contrary to an organ split... For example, make an organ split... then set the lower side of the split drawbars all to 0... and assign a rhodes or clav to there, as if it was layered with the lower manual (but sounding alone), enjoying the leslie sim/overdrive that the organ has already assigned... If you can do that, then some cool options are open... Also, another thing was not really specified... can you change the organ/organ split point too?

Read the downloadable manual again, could not find anything that answers this... but by the previous example, I'm really hoping that's possible... To any of the VR owners: did you try something like this?

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Read the downloadable manual again, could not find anything that answers this... but by the previous example, I'm really hoping that's possible... To any of the VR owners: did you try something like this?

I did try, but was not able to layer an organ above another sound when the keyboard is already split.

can you change the organ/organ split point too?

Yes, hold the split button and press the key you want to set your split point to.

I did try, but was not able to layer an organ above another sound when the keyboard is already split.

can you change the organ/organ split point too?

Yes, hold the split button and press the key you want to set your split point to.

Not even to an organ piano split? By the manual, I understood that... if you have an upper organ/lower piano split, you just highlight the piano and pull the lever for the organ to come up in volume... hope you can do in contrary too, put piano on an organ/organ split...

To all those that own/use/play gigs with the vr 09, how reliable, and bug-free is it?

Ordered mine in January, arrived in May and immediately started gigging after just a few days. I play in two local bands; one classic rock of the 60's, 70's, and 80's, the other is an all original hard rockin blues group. Practice twice per week at the drummers' place. Bar gigs and private parties supply gigs about three times per month. Have done 4or 5 outdoor gigs this summer in near 100 degree humid heat of Eastern Kansas and have no issues of unreliabilitywith my VR09. She's a keeper.

Transposed sounds can be saved differently in each registration? Or is it global?

And... how bout my previous question, about the possibility to have an (for example) extra piano sound layered to one of the sounds of an organ split? It was inspired by the page 30 of the downloaded manual, last item ("You can also add (layer) one more organ sound (to an already set organ + piano split) by using the [uPPER/LOWER]

assigned, and then lowering the harmonic bar.")... My question is if the opposite can be done... It would go like this: in an organ + organ registration, can you add a rhodes to one of the sides? I'm about to pull the trigger unseen/unplayed on an Vr09 and that would open some more possibilities... thanks for your help in advance...

Transposed sounds can be saved differently in each registration? Or is it global?

I'm about to pull the trigger unseen/unplayed on an Vr09 and that would open some more possibilities... thanks for your help in advance...

Yes transposition's are saved within the registration. Unsure about your second question.

Jay

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

And... how bout my previous question, about the possibility to have an (for example) extra piano sound layered to one of the sounds of an organ split? It was inspired by the page 30 of the downloaded manual, last item ("You can also add (layer) one more organ sound (to an already set organ + piano split) by using the [uPPER/LOWER]

assigned, and then lowering the harmonic bar.")... My question is if the opposite can be done... It would go like this: in an organ + organ registration, can you add a rhodes to one of the sides?

OK.. that memo you are referring to on page 30 is referencing a layer.. not a split plus layer which the vr cannot do. What that memo is stating is that if you have say a organ and rhodes layer.. you can pull the organ sound out by pulling out the drawbars. I think you were hoping you could have 2 organs split and the upper half organ also have a rhodes layer. Then you were hoping you could play organ left hand and have organ and rhodes right hand.. and be able to pull out the organ sound on the right hand without affecting the left hand organ. Not an option. The wording in the manual is a little confusing.

Don't let that stop ya from pulling the trigger. lol

Jay

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

There is an option to layer 3 PCM's of SYN 1 over 3 more of SYN 2 for a massive 6 oscillator synth, however this access does require an iPad. So far, I have only utilized 3 oscillators (or "partials" as the Roland's manual refers to them) to turn the already good Super Saw preset into an LFO morphing, undulating, filter sweeping beastie. One other patch I managed is an enormous Pipe Organ, again only using 3 partials. Each partial has its own Filter and Amp ADSR's with Level, Pan, and Velocity Sensitivity, plus two LFO's, one fixed to the mod stick. Standard synth waves are provides along with white and pink noise AND 363 PCM waves to choose from...lots of organs and EP's, a few clavs, and masses more.

Velo switching and hard panning is possible with the app, but it does require some time to do all that editing.

There is an option to layer 3 PCM's of SYN 1 over 3 more of SYN 2 for a massive 6 oscillator synth, however this access does require an iPad. So far, I have only utilized 3 oscillators (or "partials" as the Roland's manual refers to them) to turn the already good Super Saw preset into an LFO morphing, undulating, filter sweeping beastie. One other patch I managed is an enormous Pipe Organ, again only using 3 partials. Each partial has its own Filter and Amp ADSR's with Level, Pan, and Velocity Sensitivity, plus two LFO's, one fixed to the mod stick. Standard synth waves are provides along with white and pink noise AND 363 PCM waves to choose from...lots of organs and EP's, a few clavs, and masses more.

Velo switching and hard panning is possible with the app, but it does require some time to do all that editing.

Brenner13, I'm looking forward to the update that allows the VR-09 to download individual sounds from the Roland library.. because I expect this will also allow us owners to exchange sounds, like this enormous Pipe Organ you're describing.. I would love to try it out!! I think it's time to bug OV about this update again...

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Craig, there was some problems at the time and I could not buy it. But as you can see I'm still pretty interested and intrigued by it and hoping that roland puts the update to function soon...

about that 363 pcm waves... is there a list of them? Where you access them? Do they get on the synth section? About the clavs and EPs, are they better than the stock ones?

If owners can exchange patches some day, I guarantee they will double sales of these units. I almost bought a MOX just so I could get the 80s patch library....I may still do that.

Is there a way to disable the expression pedal for piano patches? Or save the Leslie switching damper setup in a registration so that I don't have to menu dive when changing from piano to organ?

Why doesn't the split button on the synth section change the split point when doing synth/synth splits?

Why does percussion go through vibrato/chorus? That's insane. Hey, OV, any chance we can have a Paradise option in the percussion menu? The new B3 has one!

Craig, there was some problems at the time and I could not buy it. But as you can see I'm still pretty interested and intrigued by it and hoping that roland puts the update to function soon...

about that 363 pcm waves... is there a list of them? Where you access them? Do they get on the synth section? About the clavs and EPs, are they better than the stock ones?

The PCM waves are listed in a drop down in the editor, and there is a "sound list" available on the Roland site.. it's a downloadable document.. unfortunately I don't have the link handy.

As far as the clavs/eps being "better" than stock.. you have to keep I mind that these are just wave clips.. so you would have to build these sounds yourself using the ipad editor, and they will only be as good as your programming abilities.. the thing is though, you can create a registration that layers a sample/existing clavinet with a synth sound that you have created, so conceivably you can enhance the basic clavs and EP's by layering these other synth sounds together with them.

If you're looking for the list of sounds, go to the Jupiter 80 documentation, I think that's where I found it, and it's the very same set of PCM samples that are in the VR-09.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Got it, thanks... About the clavs... any of you had luck in replicating the pickup combinations of the D6, using the tone/compression knobs, cuttof/resonace, stuff like that?

Got it, thanks... About the clavs... any of you had luck in replicating the pickup combinations of the D6, using the tone/compression knobs, cuttof/resonace, stuff like that?

This isn't something that I've felt compelled to do.. there are several clav variations but they're not labeled, or entirely consistent with, the various pickup combinations.

Craig MacDonald

Just received this message forwarded to me by OV.

Dear all,

Yesterday, we released a system update for the V-Combo VR-09. For details, please see Roland's Support page below.

http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=VR%2D09&id=63055093

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Best regards,

Jun

Craig MacDonald

Here are the list of changes described in the update documentation (there are fixes and new functionality)...

The sound that is being sounded does not stop when the Sound or the Registration is switched.

The Effects after switching will be applied.

The octave setting to Organ Sound is enabled.

( Refer to "Raising or Lowering the Range in Octaves (Octave)")

Parts to which the Expression Pedal effect will be applied can be selected.

( Refer to "Selecting the Part(s) Affected by the Expression Pedal (Expression Part)")

JUPITER-50/80 and ATELIER Series Solo Mode were added. When Dual is selected, the highest key in the keyboards of the part 2 will be sounded.

( Refer to "Changing How Part 2 Will Be Sounded (Solo Mode)")

The setting that disables the Rotary Effect operation by the Pitch bend/Modulation lever in the Organ Sound was added. This prevents misoperations during live performances.

( Refer to "Using the Modulation Lever to Turn the Rotary Effect On/Off (Modulation Lever)")

The Registration set of the ATELIER Series can be read. In addition, by turning on the ATELIER Mode, you can experience the feeling of performing in an ATELIER.

( Refer to "Performing in Atelier Mode (ATELIER Mode)")

The sounds of the keyboard performance part can be changed from MIDI IN using the Program Change and the Bank Select.

The Control Change 7 and 11 from MIDI IN in the Organ Sound can be received.

Craig MacDonald

So have you tried the update yet?

I have been holding back on buying a VR-09 by mainly the problem with re-triggering notes - the notes imply that it is fixed and that the playing sounds now continue but with the new effect settings (which is to be expected), but it doesn't explicitly say that the notes are not re-triggered!

Rewolf, no I haven't loaded it and tried it yet.. I agree with both your points, it isn't clear based on this wording if the note retriggering issue is fixed or not and the ability to load/save individual registrations does not seem to be there.. That said Roland didn't describe the retriggering problem as a retriggering problem, they described it as the inability to hold one sound while transitioning to another.. If you look at the wording of that first point, it does deal with switching sounds, so I'm optimistic that this is the retriggering fix..

Craig MacDonald