Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VR-09 Hints and Tips

The only disadvantage of the joystick, that I see, is the fact that it always returns to zero unlike a modwheel which stays where you leave it.. so you can use this to introduce a specific amount of modulation (for example overdrive) and leave it there until you want to change it

Yes. That, and the increased likelihood that you could introduce a bit of unintentional pitch bend when you just want to hit the mod. I do prefer the separate wheels. And for using both effects at the same time, the best solution is wheel for bend and aftertouch for mod!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't verified it personally (and the VR-09 is in my van right now and it's raining), but IIRC the owner's manual explictly says that layering with a non-organ voice loses the fast trigger.

Correct. Maybe there is an architectural issue in being able to generate two different Note On events from the same keypress and route them to different sounds.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

One thing I have always disliked about many synths was replacing the pitch bend wheels with that stupid joystick. Korg did this for many years, and now Roland as well... I am an old Mini Moog guy and I could never warm up to the joystick technique. I was glad that Hammond used PM wheels on the XK3. Hated that they left them off of the SK series. Thank god my motif has them! Guess I am a dying breed. D-Beam? Pssshahhhh!

And how about when they replaced the rotary dial phones with those funny pushbuttons? I'm still trying to get used to that.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

Agitato, by the patch list on the downloadable manual, I can see the following: Clav 1, Clav 2, Phase Clav 1, T-Wah Clav, Comp Clav, BrillClav DB, Pulse Clav, Phase Clav 2, Clav 3 and Velo Clav. Only the BrillClav BD is represented by a name that sugests a certain pickup combination... But by what Craig and other owners sugested, it's possible to at least aproximate the pickup sounds using tone/compression/cutoff... Only thing that they don't retain that changes when using them on splitted or layered sounds... In that case you're stuck withe the presets...

To B3 this is absolutely correct.. for not yet owning one of these things you're getting pretty smart.. !! I give you 5 stars for this answer.. ;-)

Just one thing to add to this.. you CAN create/approximate the various pickup combinations and save them as registrations though, so they are available to you at any time... AND I believe that if you save them on the upper side of the split/layer they will retain their effects, including tone controls etc.. (disclaimer.. I haven't tested this, my comments are based on my understanding of how the VR-09 works)..

I really need to get my VR-09 out and start playing with it.. I had it out a few days ago to quickly update the OS and last night again to show it to a friend and that's it in the last month.. (but I have a good excuse I got married and had my honeymoon and all that)..

Craig, that's because I'm sort of a VR-09 stalker :D

Hope I still love it after I get it :)

About the clav retaining tone/effects and stuff when used on the upper part of a split, if the lower part is an organ, the clav inherits the leslie/drive/other stuff from the organ, doesn't it?

That's one of the reasons that I still wonder that, in a future update, would it be possible to assign the overdrive/tone/compressor/delay/reverb independently to each side (just highliting them on the panel), just leaving out only the MFX, that is applied just to the main (upper) part? I ask that because I'm guessing (and hoping to be right) that it's the MFX that is the most complex setting and eats the most ressources on the effect chain... what do you think, that would make sense in case of the VR?

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

The only disadvantage of the joystick, that I see, is the fact that it always returns to zero unlike a modwheel which stays where you leave it.. so you can use this to introduce a specific amount of modulation (for example overdrive) and leave it there until you want to change it

Yes. That, and the increased likelihood that you could introduce a bit of unintentional pitch bend when you just want to hit the mod. I do prefer the separate wheels. And for using both effects at the same time, the best solution is wheel for bend and aftertouch for mod!

Perhaps, but I think polyphonic after-touch a rather pricey option, with limited use (primarily vibrato/swells), and very few of us would even use it, so it's hardly a practical feature to include in a budget keyboard like this.

Roland and Korg have been using joysticks for years, and I expect them to continue doing so, so I guess us keyboard players need to adjust.

Don't get me wrong.. my first synth was a minimoog and I learned pitchbend/modwheel technique many years ago, so I'm comfortable with both, but honestly at this point I prefer the joystick.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Perhaps, but I think polyphonic after-touch a rather pricey option, with limited use

I was just talking about regular (channel) aftertouch, not polyphonic, though that would be nice too. ;-) But really, no, I didn't expect AT on a budget board like the VR-09.

But limited use? It could be used for everything you use the mod-axis of your joystick for... difference being you wouldn't have to stop playing your left hand part.

Agitato, by the patch list on the downloadable manual, I can see the following: Clav 1, Clav 2, Phase Clav 1, T-Wah Clav, Comp Clav, BrillClav DB, Pulse Clav, Phase Clav 2, Clav 3 and Velo Clav. Only the BrillClav BD is represented by a name that sugests a certain pickup combination... But by what Craig and other owners sugested, it's possible to at least aproximate the pickup sounds using tone/compression/cutoff... Only thing that they don't retain that changes when using them on splitted or layered sounds... In that case you're stuck withe the presets...

To B3 this is absolutely correct.. for not yet owning one of these things you're getting pretty smart.. !! I give you 5 stars for this answer.. ;-)

Just one thing to add to this.. you CAN create/approximate the various pickup combinations and save them as registrations though, so they are available to you at any time... AND I believe that if you save them on the upper side of the split/layer they will retain their effects, including tone controls etc.. (disclaimer.. I haven't tested this, my comments are based on my understanding of how the VR-09 works)..

I really need to get my VR-09 out and start playing with it.. I had it out a few days ago to quickly update the OS and last night again to show it to a friend and that's it in the last month.. (but I have a good excuse I got married and had my honeymoon and all that)..

Craig, that's because I'm sort of a VR-09 stalker :D

Hope I still love it after I get it :)

About the clav retaining tone/effects and stuff when used on the upper part of a split, if the lower part is an organ, the clav inherits the leslie/drive/other stuff from the organ, doesn't it?

That's one of the reasons that I still wonder that, in a future update, would it be possible to assign the overdrive/tone/compressor/delay/reverb independently to each side (just highliting them on the panel), just leaving out only the MFX, that is applied just to the main (upper) part? I ask that because I'm guessing (and hoping to be right) that it's the MFX that is the most complex setting and eats the most ressources on the effect chain... what do you think, that would make sense in case of the VR?

To B3,

Normally I have my VR-09 sitting beside me, and I double check things before I comment here.. that's not the case lately.. it's in my gig bag, so I'm responding from memory.. but I believe that all the effects are retained for the upper part and lost for the lower part... so if you create a registration with your favourite AB clav (or whatever pickup combination you want) and you save it, and then create a split while still in that registration, and you have the clav on top, all of the tone control settings etc will remain on the clav sound IF it's the upper part. Then you just save this split in another registration and you're done..

Again I could be totally wrong and later this morning I'm going to set up my VR-09 and try it, but that's my understanding of how the effects work.. they remain on the upper part and they're lost on the lower part (in a split/layer)

Again I could be mistaken but I think that if the lower part is an organ, it simply loses the leslie effect.

To B3, you've really got me curious about this.. and I'm going to try this in an hour or so and I'll let you know.

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Perhaps, but I think polyphonic after-touch a rather pricey option, with limited use

I was just talking about regular (channel) aftertouch, not polyphonic, though that would be nice too. ;-) But really, no, I didn't expect AT on a budget board like the VR-09.

But limited use? It could be used for everything you use the mod-axis of your joystick for... difference being you wouldn't have to stop playing your left hand part.

Yes I suppose that's true, but at my age I don't want to learn anymore performance techniques.. ;-) having to incorporate aftertouch technique is just too much for my old hands and brain to deal with.

Craig MacDonald

One thing I have always disliked about many synths was replacing the pitch bend wheels with that stupid joystick. Korg did this for many years, and now Roland as well... I am an old Mini Moog guy and I could never warm up to the joystick technique. I was glad that Hammond used PM wheels on the XK3. Hated that they left them off of the SK series. Thank god my motif has them! Guess I am a dying breed. D-Beam? Pssshahhhh!

And how about when they replaced the rotary dial phones with those funny pushbuttons? I'm still trying to get used to that.

BAZINGA!!!! that kind of sums things up Adan.. HammondDave are you paying attention here..?

Craig MacDonald

Thanks! If you are right, then I definetly dont understand why that doesnt happen when the organ is on the upper part... but that's a workable thing, when you use the double keyboard configuration, as i tend to prefer the b3 on my right hand...

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Exactly how I use AT... I also disagree with Craig's idea about how it may be more difficult to control the mod wheel and pitch bend wheel. That was a skill/technique one learned when playing the Mini Moog.

But my favorite design is on the new Prophet 12 where you have two vertical ribbon controllers above the pitch and mod wheels, allowing you to rest your entire left hand on top of four controllers, allowing instant tone variation possible with four simultaneous parameters. That design is genius!

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/hammonddave/image_zps7772c955.jpg

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

BAZINGA!!!! that kind of sums things up Adan.. HammondDave are you paying attention here..?

The difference being is that pushbuttons were an IMPROVEMENT on the rotary phone design. Many believe that the pitch/mod joystick is not an improvement on the pitch mod wheels, for many of the reasons stated in this thread. Are You paying attention?

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Roland and Korg have been using joysticks for years, and I expect them to continue doing so, so I guess us keyboard players need to adjust.

Like we need to "adjust" to corporations dictating that we must play inferior keyboard beds? Crappy plastic controls? "Draw faders"?

I think not... Smart companies like Yamaha still design and manufacture top quality keyboards... For the time being...

I refuse to be a corporate controlled puppet!

(Speaking of pitch/mod wheels... Check out that dial on the left hand side of the Mellotron in my Avatar... That's the way they used to design pitch controls in the 60's!"

Like we need to "adjust" to corporations dictating that we must play inferior keyboard beds? Crappy plastic controls? "Draw faders"?

I think not... Smart companies like Yamaha still design and manufacture top quality keyboards... For the time being...

I refuse to be a corporate controlled puppet!

(Speaking of pitch/mod wheels... Check out that dial on the left hand side of the Mellotron in my Avatar... That's the way they used to design pitch controls in the 60's!"

HammondDave, this is the VR-09 hints and tips thread.. part of the reason I started this thread was to get away from these "I hate corporations" rants and YOUR inability to reconcile the fact that this is a $999 keyboard and it will include some compromises! Here we are again with you interjecting your BS into a thread that is clearly not intended for that. So, can I please ask you to take your rants somewhere else?

The VR-09 is what it is and it's "all that" for $999. If you ask all the owners who are here legitimately, and constructively, sharing hints and tips, they will all tell you the same thing. If you're not happy with the design of these entry level products go spend more money and get the higher end products.

Please these rants aren't appropriate here, we're all trying to exchange useful information about the VR-09, not trying to solve all the problems of the world.

Craig MacDonald

Exactly how I use AT... I also disagree with Craig's idea about how it may be more difficult to control the mod wheel and pitch bend wheel. That was a skill/technique one learned when playing the Mini Moog.

But my favorite design is on the new Prophet 12 where you have two vertical ribbon controllers above the pitch and mod wheels, allowing you to rest your entire left hand on top of four controllers, allowing instant tone variation possible with four simultaneous parameters. That design is genius!

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff374/hammonddave/image_zps7772c955.jpg

For the record, I don't like these at all.. too difficult to find and use.. Ill take a joystick over these any day!! I will reiterate that I learned pitchbend and modwheels almost 30 years ago with my first minimoog, and I prefer a joystick.. that's my opinion, but opinions vary.. AND YES if you want to take advantage of all that these instruments have to offer, you need to adjust to joysticks and modwheels and sliders, and whatever new and different controllers they come out with.. That's just life.

Craig MacDonald

I came into the synth scene a bit later and sadly mostly missed the whole Moog movement the first time around....my first "real" synth was a Super JX-10, so I learned my Jan Hammer technique on that. Years later when I landed a barely used Yamaha SY77, it took a very long time before I could effectively use the wheels. To this day I still prefer the paddle for pitch bends, but wheels feel better to me for modulation and filter sweeps.

However the VR09's drawbars effectively switch to ADR envelope control and filter resonance and cutoff sliders for the non organ tones. I find this a wonderful performance enhancement in live situations. I know it is a pipe dream, but I'd love to see the other sliders assignable to CC control with options like aftertouch, portamento, pitch (tuning), LFO amount, etc...and how about controlling the effects' levels?

Better pinch myself and wake up, now.

Or maybe you can ask the moderators of the site to install an "ignore user" feature so you never have to see my comments again.
That already exists.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Or maybe you can ask the moderators of the site to install an "ignore user" feature so you never have to see my comments again.
That already exists.

Thanks Joe...

I will not be drawn into this anymore...

Aw, I sometimes disagree with HammondDave's viewpoint, but he always has an interesting spin of opinion that encourages independent thought and opens the floor to debate.

Please sir, continue to speak your mind and thank you for sharing knowledge of this biz, however bizarre the perspective may be. :-)

Brenner, I agree with you completely! HammondDave has a lot of experience and a wealth of information that can be of great value to us all. HOWEVER, dropping in to shit on the VR-09 once again, or rant about everything that's wrong with corporate America is of no value to those of us who are trying to get the most out of our VR-09's and share hints and tips here.

I would like to respectfully request that people posting in this thread ask themselves "is what I am about to post going to be perceived as a legitimate question about VR-09 functionality, or a valuable tidbit of information that the users of the VR-09 will appreciate?".. if the answer is YES, then by all means post away.. if the answer is NO, then please refrain from posting whatever nonsense you were considering.

If you want to debate the virtues of joysticks vs modwheels, or drawbars vs drawfaders, go start your own thread..

Craig MacDonald

To B3, a couple of things..

First, I just did a quick test and the VR-09 will save all effects and control parameters that exist on the upper part, as part of the registration, and those will also be maintained if you create splits or layers. So if you create a registration that has your perfect clavinet, you can take that clavinet and use it to create a split with any other sound (keeping your clavinet sound on top) and it will you can save this as a new registration. That said, whatever effects you have on that upper part will affect the lower part as well. So if your upper effects are subtle you probably won't notice them but if they are pronounced you probably will. I believe that the exception is the changes that are made using the ADSR and cutoff (basically the drawbars).. so if you save the registration and you've modified the upper sound that way, I don't think that this affects the lower sound.

The other odd thing I noticed is that when creating splits.. I can put the organ on the upper part and any other sound on the lower part, and the lower part will not go through the leslie effect. HOWEVER, this is not the case if you put the drawbar organ on the bottom part.. if you do, initially the leslie sim is off on the organ/lower part, but if you turn the leslie sim on for the lower part, both the upper and lower parts are affected by the sim.

This precludes you from using some nice mellow Hammond organ chords on your left hand, along with an acoustic piano, or a sax or whatever on your right. This is a bit of a bummer.. I don't see myself doing this much because I almost always have organ on the upper part, but I could see some wanting to do so.

This is going to be the next issue that I escalate to Roland.

Craig MacDonald

Just an FYI, but one of the fundamental things that I don't like about the architecture of the VR-09 is it's inability to modify and save the factory sounds.. The only way you can do this is to take the factory sound, modify it and save it to a registration. You cannot modify the default organ, or any other default sound. You can modify all of them in live mode but to save your modifications they have to be stored in a registration.

I would be happy if I could at least save the basic drawbar organ sound so that it always defaults to my organ.. it would be nice to just press the organ button and have it be mine..! Having to select a specific registration to get my organ is a pain in the ass.

Anyone else have an issue with this.. or is it just me?

Craig MacDonald

Agitato, I have to tell you that the VR-09 sounds are all equal or better than the SK1/2.

I'm jumping in a bit late with this, but this is one subjective area where, as someone who owns and uses both an SK1 and a VR-09, I have a different view than Craig. I think the AP, EP and Clav sounds on the SK are significantly more realistic, detailed and playable than those on the VR. More velocity layers, way better loops, and more realistic overall sounds.

That said, those sounds in the VR are still impressively playable given their limitations. The first time I used mine on a gig, I was pleasantly surprised at how well they worked. So they're definitely usable, even if they're not the best option available.

I mention this not to say that I'm right and Craig's wrong, but to point out that it's an area where there's not a solid consensus, and anyone considering both boards will really want to check them out in person if possible.

But when it comes to synths, basses, pads, strings, brass -- basically anything that isn't an acoustic or electromechanical keyboard sound -- I agree that the VR has a significant edge over the SK. Pitch stick, glide, mono mode, adjustable virtual-analog parameters... there's really no comparison. Those types of sounds are definitely the SK's weak point, and for them it really is little more than, in the immortal words of kanker, a"polyphonic turntable."

FunkKeyStuff,

As I said you can argue individual sounds, and if you think that the AP, EP, and clav sounds are better than this is as valid a perspective as mine. I no longer own an SK1 (I returned it because of the poor EV's), so I can't do a side by side comparison, I can only compare based on my memory and my impressions of both instruments.. My initial reaction to the SK series was... blah.. my initial reaction to the VR-09 was excellent, but again my SK1 cost me $2000 and my VR-09 cost me $999... that immediately creates a very different set of expectations.

I see the default AP/EP/Clav sounds on the VR-09 as nothing more than starting points, especially the EP and clavs, and from there you do much more with them, given the effects, and synthesis capabilities of the VR-09, but not everyone will see it that way. Also, in a live setting, these subtleties often get lost, and you're left wishing that your keyboard simply cut more, and one of the things that I find with the VR-09 is that it cuts very well in a band setting (others have mentioned this here as well) and that factors into my perception of the sounds as well (FunkKeyStuff I think it actually might have been you that mentioned that you liked how the VR-09 cut in a band setting?)..

As you point out there is no solid consensus on whether the SK acoustic piano is better than the VR acoustic piano.. and opinions will differ. HOWEVER, that is not the reason that I think that the VR-09 blows away the SK series when it comes to other sounds. It has a much more extensive library of sounds, the ability to layer two non-organ sounds, and a complete virtual analog synth. It's the result of these three things that I have concluded that the VR-09 is a far superior instrument when comparing non-organ sounds.

I did leave out one advantage of the SK that I probably should have mentioned, to be completely fair, and that is the SK's ability to download additional sounds.. Unfortunately, the library of available sounds is virtually useless (my opinion of course), and it's nothing like the excellent library of sounds that is provided by Nord for their line of keyboards. The available library still does not include nice warm strings.. WTF?

Again different people will have different opinions on which instrument has better individual sounds, however when you look at the instruments at a higher level, the sound capabilities of the VR-09 simply stand out as better and more comprehensive. Some of this is based on my opinion, and some of this is based on a side by side comparison of the features.

Craig MacDonald

To B3, a couple of things..

First, I just did a quick test and the VR-09 will save all effects and control parameters that exist on the upper part, as part of the registration, and those will also be maintained if you create splits or layers. So if you create a registration that has your perfect clavinet, you can take that clavinet and use it to create a split with any other sound (keeping your clavinet sound on top) and it will you can save this as a new registration. That said, whatever effects you have on that upper part will affect the lower part as well. So if your upper effects are subtle you probably won't notice them but if they are pronounced you probably will. I believe that the exception is the changes that are made using the ADSR and cutoff (basically the drawbars).. so if you save the registration and you've modified the upper sound that way, I don't think that this affects the lower sound.

The other odd thing I noticed is that when creating splits.. I can put the organ on the upper part and any other sound on the lower part, and the lower part will not go through the leslie effect. HOWEVER, this is not the case if you put the drawbar organ on the bottom part.. if you do, initially the leslie sim is off on the organ/lower part, but if you turn the leslie sim on for the lower part, both the upper and lower parts are affected by the sim.

This precludes you from using some nice mellow Hammond organ chords on your left hand, along with an acoustic piano, or a sax or whatever on your right. This is a bit of a bummer.. I don't see myself doing this much because I almost always have organ on the upper part, but I could see some wanting to do so.

This is going to be the next issue that I escalate to Roland.

In my case, one side of the split, usually the top, will always be an organ... I could say that B3 is my anchor sound... But I too use EPs and Clavs basically in adition to organ, the idea of having to use a totally dry sound on lower side (with no overdrive mainly) is what bugs me the most... I would really love if I could work that issue stand alone, without using some kind of amp sim externally...

To B3, that's exactly the same for me.. my B3 sound is my "anchor" sound and it will always be on the top.. using the factory default sounds on the bottom, with no ability to tweak them is a bit of a pain, but I will say that for the most part, whatever I have on the bottom, whether it's an acoustic piano, or clavinet or strings or whatever, I generally want it to be nice and clear (unless it's some crazy sound effect or something like that). So I really don't see this as a big problem..

Personally I think that having the organ on the lower part and the upper part being forced to go through the leslie sim is a bigger problem, at least for me. It's basically the same problem as when we LAYER an organ with some other sound.. if the leslie is on, the other sound goes through the leslie.. that's not good (however again I don't do this very often and I can probably get around it by using splits instead.

Craig MacDonald

I would be happy if I could at least save the basic drawbar organ sound so that it always defaults to my organ.. it would be nice to just press the organ button and have it be mine..! Having to select a specific registration to get my organ is a pain in the ass.

Anyone else have an issue with this.. or is it just me?

Idem for me.

I also would like to use the rightmost fader (called "level") to adjust the volume of the currently selected part, instead of having to use the dedicated pushbuttons. Unfortunately, this fader has been assigned to resonance...

61 keys just aren't enough for me to use piano/org splits too much. Have to compromise my playing when bass is holding the bottom, too. However, the N. Ac Bass and Finger Bass sound real good without effects on the VR. Piano on the bottom split with organ isn't too bad either. One odd patch I made for Marshall Tucker's "Can't You See" has N. Flute on the bottom octave transposed up 2 octaves and organ above that...works remarkably well.

On acoustic sounds I guess that it's no biggie to lose the effect capacity... I just wish that I could have the option to make it work on electric sounds too... But maybe that's an opportunity to experiment with my sound pallete a little bit too...

Bummer that i cant do that simultaneously (speaking of the sounds and how they are used, not the quality):

[video:youtube]

:)

Brenner, I agree with you completely! HammondDave has a lot of experience and a wealth of information that can be of great value to us all. HOWEVER, dropping in to shit on the VR-09 once again, or rant about everything that's wrong with corporate America is of no value to those of us who are trying to get the most out of our VR-09's and share hints and tips here.

I would like to respectfully request that people posting in this thread ask themselves "is what I am about to post going to be perceived as a legitimate question about VR-09 functionality, or a valuable tidbit of information that the users of the VR-09 will appreciate?".. if the answer is YES, then by all means post away.. if the answer is NO, then please refrain from posting whatever nonsense you were considering.

If you want to debate the virtues of joysticks vs modwheels, or drawbars vs drawfaders, go start your own thread..

Respectfully, Craig... You were the one who brought up the issue with the joystick. I just ran with it...

I am not here to shit upon the VR-09. I respect it for what it is. I also think its a great value to many people... Its just not for me. But I will comment on other issues that this thread and others bring up. Like the issues with joysticks controlling leslie speed.

Lately, a lot of people (you included) have posted about which keyboard sounds better, the VR-09 or the Hammond SK... Does not sound like a discussion of functionality, or "useful tidbits" to me. Are you shitting on the Hammond SK? Some may think so. Personally, I really don't care as I am not a defender of any product.

Regarding my rants... that's who I am... I am a crazy ranter sometimes. I will try to refrain on this particular thread as I know that it irritates some of you.

But I also want you guys and gals to know who I am, and understand that I really mean no harm or insult. So please don't take anything I say personally.

...and that means you too, Craig... (kiss, kiss)....