Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VR-09 Hints and Tips

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

(speaking of the sounds and how they are used, not the quality):

[video:youtube]

:)

+1 Great keyboard parts.... and a great band. Thanks for posting.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Brenner, I agree with you completely! HammondDave has a lot of experience and a wealth of information that can be of great value to us all. HOWEVER, dropping in to shit on the VR-09 once again, or rant about everything that's wrong with corporate America is of no value to those of us who are trying to get the most out of our VR-09's and share hints and tips here.

I would like to respectfully request that people posting in this thread ask themselves "is what I am about to post going to be perceived as a legitimate question about VR-09 functionality, or a valuable tidbit of information that the users of the VR-09 will appreciate?".. if the answer is YES, then by all means post away.. if the answer is NO, then please refrain from posting whatever nonsense you were considering.

If you want to debate the virtues of joysticks vs modwheels, or drawbars vs drawfaders, go start your own thread..

Respectfully, Craig... You were the one who brought up the issue with the joystick. I just ran with it...

I am not here to shit upon the VR-09. I respect it for what it is. I also think its a great value to many people... Its just not for me. But I will comment on other issues that this thread and others bring up. Like the issues with joysticks controlling leslie speed.

Lately, a lot of people (you included) have posted about which keyboard sounds better, the VR-09 or the Hammond SK... Does not sound like a discussion of functionality, or "useful tidbits" to me. Are you shitting on the Hammond SK? Some may think so. Personally, I really don't care as I am not a defender of any product.

Regarding my rants... that's who I am... I am a crazy ranter sometimes. I will try to refrain on this particular thread as I know that it irritates some of you.

But I also want you guys and gals to know who I am, and understand that I really mean no harm or insult. So please don't take anything I say personally.

...and that means you too, Craig... (kiss, kiss)....

HammondDave, because I make a comment about an issue about the VR-09 joystick that is resolved as part of the new OS, doesn't entitle you to go off on a tangent about how you hate joysticks..! Furthermore, don't compare your rants to me providing my input on which has better non-organ sounds the VR or the SK because I was asked this exact question by a forum member who's trying to decide whether to buy an SK or a VR and that is EXACTLY WHAT THIS THREAD IS ALL ABOUT!!!!

YES you go on tangents and you have some crazy rants, and some weird quirks, like all of us old guys do (myself included) but please let's keep that to a minimum on this thread.. I really want it to be a constructive discussion of the VR-09.

I don't take it personally at all, and I will happily kiss and make up (again), just please save your off topic rants for some other thread, or start your own thread..!!

And yes Dave you're still my pal.. say hi to the missus for me.. and tell her she has my sympathy..

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Well....that must have been the easiest firmware I have ever done on anything. Congrats, Roland.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

B3.. can you paste the link to this video.. I can't seem to get it to work.

Here's the link:

Love this live record/band.

Well, since wah-overdriven clav and organ are not possible at the same time on the VR without external tricks, at least this is doable, on a basic form, that is :)

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Yeah... Pretty good... But I prefer Mad Dogs and Englishmen...

Leon Russell and Chris Stainton...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

We better stop... Craig's head is about to explode because we are not talking about the functionality of the VR-09...

Well....that must have been the easiest firmware I have ever done on anything. Congrats, Roland.

WesG,

Mine went very smoothly too.. No problems whatsoever, and I have yet to hear of any.. I think that this has something to do with Rolands strategy about updates.. they take their time they are well thought out, and well tested, which results in fewer, if any, update issues. The SK1 hints and tips thread seems to have a number of upgrade related issues.. although the VR is brand new and we may yet have our fair share of issues.

Has anyone had any out of the box failures? Any DOA experiences.. how reliable is the VR-09..? My sense that there hasn't been any significant issues to speak of (I actually can't recall any issues at all?)

Comments.. has everyone done the upgrade and how has your reliability been so far? Some folks have expressed concerns about the built quality but I'm no seeing any issues.

(HammondDave, yes this question is intended to get us back on track).

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

We better stop... Craig's head is about to explode because we are not talking about the functionality of the VR-09...

Nothing wrong with the occasional thread derailment... :laugh:

Yup, I agree.. the key being OCCASIONAL!!!!

Craig MacDonald

Nothing wrong with the occasional thread derailment... :laugh:

Yup, I agree.. the key being OCCASIONAL!!!!

And who defines "occasional"?

One thing I'm surprised Roland doesn't mention is that it would probably be smart to have freshly-charged NiMh batteries inside while doing the firmware upgrade...that way you don't risk bricking your keyboard if the power goes out.

Of course, the risk may be exaggerated. I bet the bootloader etc doesn't get re-written during the upgrade, so in theory, you may be able to just reapply it if it gets interrupted.

Now all we need to do is to wait for the ability to share patches...

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Yeah, what WesG said!

I know it's weird for a child of the 80's to be so computer dense, especially one that plays electronic instruments, but I accidentally copied the wrong file to my thumb drive first try and had a scary 5 minutes of black-screen-of-death on my VR09. Thinking I was going to have to ship it off for maintenance, I powered down and restarted. Thankfully it reverted to version 1.00. WHEW! Guess I should slow down and actually READ THE INSTRUCTIONS before screwing with the firmware.

Yeah, what WesG said!

I know it's weird for a child of the 80's to be so computer dense, especially one that plays electronic instruments, but I accidentally copied the wrong file to my thumb drive first try and had a scary 5 minutes of black-screen-of-death on my VR09. Thinking I was going to have to ship it off for maintenance, I powered down and restarted. Thankfully it reverted to version 1.00. WHEW! Guess I should slow down and actually READ THE INSTRUCTIONS before screwing with the firmware.

Gees.. just as I was beginning to think that this upgrade was problem free.... this does however highlight two things..

1. Brenner13 needs to be more careful and follow the simple instructions ;-)

2. You can F@#$ up the install and it is possible to recover.

Nice recovery Brenner..!

Craig MacDonald

Anyone can make a mistake. I bricked a Juno D a few years back and I have a Computer Science degree and have been working with computer systems since 1980. A bit of my code is still used out there in the Linux / open source software world.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Good to know that it's possible and easy to recover if we screw up. Hope the next updates will maintain that too. Of course, hoping that there will be next updates. :)

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Comments.. has everyone done the upgrade and how has your reliability been so far? Some folks have expressed concerns about the built quality but I'm no seeing any issues.

The only issue i see with build quality is that i lost one of the drawbar knob ! It dropped while i was moving the board, but i did not hear it fall, so i was not able to recover it. Now i have a knob missing, and have a hard time moving this drawbar. The only way to replace it is to order it from roland...

Regarding the software, i have freezed the board multiple times or put it in an incoherent state when experimenting with sysex messages. But then, I was not supposed to try cracking the undocumented features of the midi implementation of this board !

Craig, another question for you. If one orders a new vr09, will it be shipped with all the new updates/fixes,etc., maybe even resolving that(organ) percussion processed through the vibrato and vibrato chorus issue, and the inclusion of a pedal wah function, for the clav? IMO, potential buyers, should ask away,(of the manufacturers), for the features,etc., that they want.

since the update is very new (less than 1 week old), i don't expect any keyboard to be shipped with the upgraded firmware soon... the current stock (which is factory programmed with the 1.0 firmware) has to be exhausted before a new batch becomes available, factory programmed with the latest firmware.

Craig, another question for you. If one orders a new vr09, will it be shipped with all the new updates/fixes,etc., maybe even resolving that(organ) percussion processed through the vibrato and vibrato chorus issue, and the inclusion of a pedal wah function, for the clav? IMO, potential buyers, should ask away,(of the manufacturers), for the features,etc., that they want.

Agitato,

I want to be clear here.. I have no affiliation with Roland and I have no idea what their factory process, or distribution process are.. I have no idea what OS level they're shipping at or anything like that. I can't tell you what fixes they will or won't include in the next update, and neither do I even know if there will be another update. I just happened to be the first guy to have one (that participates in this forum) and as a result I started answering questions (to the best of my ability).

I just wanted to level-set expectations here.. I'm not a product expert and I'm not a Roland rep or a sponsored artist (as much as I'd love to be somebody's sponsored artist)..

As someone else said most music retailers will routinely install OS updates if/when there are available (and they are aware of them).. Absolutely, pass your feedback on to your local music retailer because (hopefully), that feedback will get back to Roland via the retailer, to the Roland rep, and back to the designers. Also, use the Roland VR-09 blog to ask questions and provide feedback. That is exactly what I have done, and I have my Roland reps email and he follows up directly with me, and I have OV's ear on the Roland Blog. These guys love interacting and helping the end users (despite what some people might suggest) and I am quite impressed with the way my feedback has been handled by these guys. If Roland hears enough feedback that the end users want the ability to use the expression pedal as a wah wah, and the VR-09 has the capacity to do so, I expect we might see that.

Similarly, if they hear enough, I won't buy this because of "______", I expect they'll look to fix it.

Craig MacDonald

The only issue i see with build quality is that i lost one of the drawbar knob ! It dropped while i was moving the board, but i did not hear it fall, so i was not able to recover it. Now i have a knob missing, and have a hard time moving this drawbar. The only way to replace it is to order it from roland...

Regarding the software, i have freezed the board multiple times or put it in an incoherent state when experimenting with sysex messages. But then, I was not supposed to try cracking the undocumented features of the midi implementation of this board !

Rien,

I'll count the drawbar knob falling off your unit as the first defect I've heard of, and I'm not going to count the problems you've encountered when you're f-ing with sysex messages.. ;-)

That said did you discover anything interesting while you were messing around with sysex messages?

Craig MacDonald

Kevmo, I'm not an expert but I my wife has an ipad mini and I have her old iPad 2 and I'm not aware of any apps that are not compatible with both.. when she comes home tonight I could test this for sure. But I am 99% confident that it will work. Check the roland website, they may say whether or not this is the case.

I've been playing piano parts with a 61 key keyboard for most of my career.. sometimes I lower the octave. Disclaimer... I am not a piano player I'm an organ player!!

Craig MacDonald