Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

VR-09 Hints and Tips

So, ah, where does one get replacement drawbar knobs?
Generally, close to where you were last standing... on the floor. At least that's where I found three of mine after setup last night.

I am biting my tongue.......

HammondDave, thank you for your restraint!!

SK, how do you set up your rig... with a bulldozer?? ;-)

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So, ah, where does one get replacement drawbar knobs?
Generally, close to where you were last standing... on the floor. At least that's where I found three of mine after setup last night.

Hey, those were mine!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Worse than a bulldozer, maybe roadies!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

LOL, It's been so long that I had a roadie set up my stuff, I forgot all about that possibility!!

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

In my case, I am gentle with my rig and the VR-09 has never been anywhere other than a stand, a bag, or its box. I can't understand how I lost a knob.

I'm tempted to glue the rest of them on with hot glue.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Right, I have two very small roadies, each carrying one end of the VR-09... :laugh:

No, I was carrying it onto the stage (keyboard towards me) with my stand in the other hand - the keyboard brushed against me and the knobs came off. Kinda surprised they aren't glued on, but lesson learned: glue them on and always carry it with the keyboard away from me.

Outside of this incident, I'm having some fun with the VR-09. Maybe I'll add a paper bag to my arsenal (for those of you who remember the history on that.)

SK - don't glue them on with anything too strong, they likely need to come off when servicing the board.

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

I was carrying it onto the stage (keyboard towards me) with my stand in the other hand - the keyboard brushed against me and the knobs came off. Kinda surprised they aren't glued on, but lesson learned: glue them on and always carry it with the keyboard away from me.

Better lesson to be learned: Leave it in its case until you are ready to put it on the stand. Really, carrying any board one handed with no case is asking for trouble. It's too easy to bang it against something, have someone walk into it, whatever.

Scott, thanks for the thoughts - of course you're right. There's a bit more to the story but was too boring to describe: I was a guest performing with a big band, my DP and VR-09 on the floor to the side of the band. Then it was decided I should be in the middle on the stage, so I quickly moved the gear without packing it all up again.

Still, I don't think the drawbar knobs should come off that easily. Not a knock at the board - I'm having some fun with it and love the weight.

Then it was decided I should be in the middle on the stage, so I quickly moved the gear without packing it all up again.

Oh, it was one of those gigs!

I wasn't sure I'd made the right decision when I took delivery of the VR09 but after having played it for a few weeks I've got to say it's a great keyboard. The key pad isn't perfect for playing piano but play it enough and you can make it work well. Everything comes down to a compromise at the end of the day unless money's not an issue....With regards to sounds has anyone come up with a good, bright rock piano setting that'll cut through a guitar heavy mix? I've got tone down and compression up and it's sounding pretty good. Any other suggestions?
Nord Electro 4D, Roland VR09, Roland RD-300SX

Craig, would like to know how (on the 09)you deal with the 4 registration buttons having a "bank" and "next" button, but not a "back" button. Might that present a (minor)problem, at times?

See my post #2527623 on p. 17 of this thread for some possible solutions.

I wasn't sure I'd made the right decision when I took delivery of the VR09 but after having played it for a few weeks I've got to say it's a great keyboard. The key pad isn't perfect for playing piano but play it enough and you can make it work well. Everything comes down to a compromise at the end of the day unless money's not an issue....With regards to sounds has anyone come up with a good, bright rock piano setting that'll cut through a guitar heavy mix? I've got tone down and compression up and it's sounding pretty good. Any other suggestions?

There is a specified Rock Pno preset, but I find it a bit too bitey with my groups and really prefer the default Grand V, but tweaked with:

Tone to 1 o'clock

Compression at 10 o'clock

MFX with Chorus just barely on...about 7:30 (helps cover those sample loops when holding notes longer than a second)

Reverb set to Stage at 9:30.

Sometimes I use the second drawbar to adjust the Decay to 2, allowing it to ring a tad longer.

This one sits so well in the mix that admittedly, I've yet to try many of the others however, the plain Grand Pno is a little more distant and darker for those quieter passages.

Here's a little recording that I did recently with my daughter.. she loves this song so I told her I would create a back track for it and sing the parts that she didn't want to sing. All instrumentation sounds are from the VR09.

Jay

www.soundcloud.com/high-diving-act

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

OK, here's a tip for owners of the 09 so they don't make the same mistake I did..

When using a Ventilator and having the internal leslie OFF, I was hearing what I thought was a 'double leslie' sound most noticable when the Vent was on FAST.

I had created a Registration with the proper distortion, tone, etc. but had somehow added a little EFX which was the PITCH SHIFTER positioned around 9:00 which was just enough to give me that undesired double leslie effect..

Anyhow, thought I'd pass this on, and thanks Craig for your help on this.

HDA, thanks for posting! Sounds great!

It's good to have these kinds of examples for anyone considering an instrument like this to see/hear it in a real mix or recording. I've been saying this since day one that the VR-09 is an extremely capable instrument, and huge value for he money..

Sounds great, you guys have nice voices, and sing well together.. Nice tune, nice arrangement, nice recording, nice performances! Well done!

Craig MacDonald

HDA, thanks for posting! Sounds great!

It's good to have these kinds of examples for anyone considering an instrument like this to see/hear it in a real mix or recording. I've been saying this since day one that the VR-09 is an extremely capable instrument, and huge value for he money..

Sounds great, you guys have nice voices, and sing well together.. Nice tune, nice arrangement, nice recording, nice performances! Well done!

Thanks Craig. Yes... the VR does seem to record nicely. My daughter wants to do another one so.. I will use the VR solely again for sound generation... maybe use some more organic sounds and post that one. I appreciated when you posted your soundbites... so just following your lead. It would be cool if someone could post some audio and or video examples of the vr09 in a live application.

Jay

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

Nord Stage 3 Compact, Korg Krome EX, Novation Summit, Roland RD88 & Edge, Spectrasonic Keyscape

I also had a slider knob dissapear when carryng the vr09 one handed. Teyre sending me a new one. They come off wAy too easily. Im wondering how the update is. WS there any feedback on it?

I dont have a computer now so i havent done the update yet myself. Just wondering what im missing.

Whats the atalier solo mode????

Haven't had any problems with my drawbar buttons falling off.. I've been pretty careful with it though.. The OS update was great.. very easy to install and if fixed a number of different problems.. Don't know what atelier solo mode is (something from the atelier like of home organs.. don't care).. maybe someone can help you with that!

Craig MacDonald

Haven't had any problems with my drawbar buttons falling off.. I've been pretty careful with it though.. The OS update was great.. very easy to install and if fixed a number of different problems.. Don't know what atelier solo mode is (something from the atelier like of home organs.. don't care).. maybe someone can help you with that!

I still have no idea what atelier mode is either. Might be a question for the Roland blog.

Jay

www.yournewneighbors.com

www.mclovinmusic.com

The VR09 update is well worth buying a inexpensive thumb drive and finding someone that will let you borrow their computer for 5 or 10 minutes. The patch remain when switching sounds is much better than the previous clunky retrigger. Also the expression pedal assignability is great. Being able to turn off the modulation rotary off function is wonderful and octave switching for the organ is quite welcome.

I tried the Atelier option only briefly enough to find that it disables the effects knobs, so immediately reverted it back...still don't have a clue what it is supposed to do.

Please excuse a "pre-buy" query, but vr09 owners can prolly help me easily, if you would.

I wanna use this live as dedicated organ & using other sounds via MIDI/ controller. Will there be easy access to organ controls like CV on/off, perc. on/off, etc., or will there be some menu diving to get at them?

Thanx in advance. Dan

Professional musician = great source of poverty.

Dan, you have dedicated buttons for C/V on/off, and percussion on/off, but if you want to change 2nd percussion to 3rd or soft to normal percussion you have to edit.. however as you press the C/V off/on button, you are automatically presented with the screen that gives you the options you need.. same with Percussion.. So it's not that bad.. There's also a dedicated button for assigning drawbars to upper/lower parts.

It's quite workable, but it doesn't have dedicated buttons for every organ function like the real thing or some of the dedicated clones. Remember however that you have registrations that you can use to store different organ configurations.

Craig MacDonald