Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KingKorg opinions ?

If he doesn't like the Sledge because

he thinks it has an individual character then Nord has even more character. A A1 Rack may serve him well but it has a sound even with the M-ladder and Roland clone filters.

Live I think he is way over thinking it. I would get the best 61 key 3 oscillator poly VA interface and roll your own sounds. Otherwise software is the only feasible option at this price point. Maybe KeyLab 61.

Otherwise what he wants is the Origin.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

I plan on picking up one of the new Korg Electribes when they come available to see how it functions as a synth module. It basically contains the KK synth engine inside and can be used as a module driven by a MIDI keyboard.

As it relates to using it specifically with the Kronos, I want to see if:

a) a single USB cable can be used to send MIDI to the Electric with audio coming back into the Kronos. One cable would be slick.

b) it functions properly as a module allowing synth sounds to be edited, saved and then recalled via MIDI program change. Will it act transparently when triggered by the Kronos.

c) the pads can be used to trigger the Kronos pads.

I don't have a strong need for additional analog sounds as the Kronos is already strong in that regard, but the synth-specific filters is certainly appealing. If it does work well as a module, I could see it being a nice inexpensive ($399) add-on for those looking to add better VA to their setup.

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/1082765.jpg

Busch.

On paper, the KingKorg seems a lot more flexible, but somehow i find the A1 sound more "real", present,

organic. (OK, this is the subjective part, i'll spend some quality time next week end with both keyboards,

i hope).

Do a direct compare of the Korg and Nord with effects off on both. I don't know how much the effects are used in the Nord presets, but with Korg they tend to sound more production-ready rather than raw. I suspect you're not going to find a great deal of difference in the organic/realness between the two with effects off. Real analogs don't have effects (for the most part) and that raw sound we expect from an analog is related to that fact.

Busch.

How do you think this guy feels? He should sue them for sullying his reputation.

http://images.popmatters.com/news_art/k/king_kong_1933_still.jpg

You mean "his estate"... The Meenkie is dead...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Its a shame to see that too many manufacturers are apparently just not listening, in part because too many people apparently accept it, or worse yet, don't even know to complain when its called for. I've passed on a couple of buys over insultingly cheesy build quality, so I'm doing my part. Its part of why I've gone mostly softsynth. There's a standard for digital formats; there should be a minimum for keyboard builds that fit the $#@! job as well. Maybe if the CEOs saw me turn away in disgust after trying to play a cracker box mechanism, THEN they'd get it, but overall, commercial evidence indicates that they're the last people who will give a damn, or if they do, its not showing enough. That's an offensive shame with gear that often sounds so sweet. I bow with great respect towards Nord's tight yet fluid keys, on the Lead 2 and Wave I played. Now *there's* something akin to a pro gold standard.

Of course they accept it! Look at all the praise our colleagues throw upon the VR-09. One of the worse key beds I ever played. As long as people buy this crap, manufacturers will continue to produce it.

• Like 1

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I just read the review this morning. (pages 46-48 in the newest issue) The keyboard is mentioned in the CONS section. "Somewhat spongy keyboard doesn't sense aftertouch"

It seems to me the Mitchell Sigman's greatest concern how is the ligtweight plastic construction feels delicate. "I'd be extra cautious plugging cables in and out of the the dainty rear panel" But he likes the 15 pound weight.

Seems like Keyboard has lowered their standards because this is barely criticism.

Surprised? You guys and gals keep forgetting that Korg is a major advertiser for Keyboard Magazine... You have to read between the lines to pick up any real negative criticism.

I plan on picking up one of the new Korg Electribes when they come available to see how it functions as a synth module. It basically contains the KK synth engine inside and can be used as a module driven by a MIDI keyboard.

As it relates to using it specifically with the Kronos, I want to see if:

a) a single USB cable can be used to send MIDI to the Electric with audio coming back into the Kronos. One cable would be slick.

b) it functions properly as a module allowing synth sounds to be edited, saved and then recalled via MIDI program change. Will it act transparently when triggered by the Kronos.

c) the pads can be used to trigger the Kronos pads.

I don't have a strong need for additional analog sounds as the Kronos is already strong in that regard, but the synth-specific filters is certainly appealing. If it does work well as a module, I could see it being a nice inexpensive ($399) add-on for those looking to add better VA to their setup.

http://static.bhphoto.com/images/images500x500/1082765.jpg

Busch.

Will be interested in reading about your experiences with the new Electribe - as I'm also looking for a cost effective way to add synth-specific filters to my rig. The KK engine certainly seems to cover those bases well, and a tabletop module would be ideal.

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

• 2 weeks later...

I just snagged a used, mint King Korg, so I thought I would contribute a small review. One disclaimer is that I'm probably in a "Honeymoon" period with it.

PROs

Right off, in my humble opinion, I think the King Korg sounds awesome. Its warm, juicy, but not too juicy. From the demos I heard of the Radias, for example, it sounded a bit too "wet" to my ears. The KK has a nice balance of presence, crispness and grunge. The sound "pro" is obviously the most important factor when considering a synth; I loved the Roland Gaia's interface and looks, but I didn't keep it, because the sound was such a snooze.

The tube definitely brings something to the party. At first blush, I though the fact the grunge and EQ are global, and not save-able would be a negative, but actually, it makes some sense; the tube/EQ combo to customize YOUR general sound for the entire synth.

The variety of waves is really impressive. Obviously there aren't the thousands you might get in a Kurzweil, but sometimes having too many waves leads to being overwhelmed by choices. The source sounds were well curated. I'm a fan of digital sounds, so it's awesome they included a nice variety of those, in addition to the run of the mill analog waves.

The filters are superb. Without broaching the topic of authenticity, they just offer a variety of nice sounding filters. On some other synths, like my JV2080 for example, I feel like differences in filters are pretty subtle. On the KK, they definitely affect character.

Knobs! They make synthesizing a lot of fun. There are some compromises, like dual duty ADSRs, but on the whole the knobs make this synth a whole lot of fun to play and program.

In the grey area between pros and cons are the the keys. A lot of earlier posts on the matter express vitriol towards the keys. However, I think they are totally fine. Not great, but not bad either.

In fact, I had an Oberheim OB8 which sounded magical, but I grew to hate it because the keybed was so atrocious. I think the KK has a superior keybed to OB8, or even my Moog Little Phatty. But key beds are totally personal preference, so I can dig that some folks may hate it.

CONS

Knobs! Here are some of the compromises.

Personally, I think they should have included a real "mix" section with a level knob for each of the 3 oscillators. Currently, you have to "shift" and then turn "tune(level)" knob which requires two hands and can't really be done while playing.

Some menu diving is required, notably for setting up modulations. This is understandable. However, it's a minor annoyance to have to page through a dozen options, make the connection, then turn the "LFO rate" or some other knob, and then have the page change, and have to page through them all AGAIN. (that paragraph may not make any sense if you haven't actually done it, BTW.)

As noted elsewhere, the entire layout of the synth seems somehow backwards. This depends on which knobs you prefer to twist while playing.

My specific gripe though regards the placement of the mini-screens and their accompanying knobs. Let's say you want to try out each of the filters. If you're the average person, and you use your right hand to turn the "filter" knob, then your right hand will be blocking the "filter" mini display. To deal with this, you can use your left hand to turn the knob (-insert juvenile wisecrack here-) but this feels very strange ergonomically. This is really a very tiny grievance, but one worth mentioning.

As someone who owns a Little Phatty, I have some second hand embarrassment regarding the name. It's silly. I can dig "playful" but I can not dig "silly." Even the Fizmo is a better name. From a graphic design stand point, even, the fact that the word "korg" appears twice seems bizarre to me. If you're going to call it the King Korg, just call it the King Korg. Why's it have to be the KORG KingKorg. Ugh!

Big picture, I really like the King Korg. It really inspires me! It has a great, organic sound and a nice response when you lay hands on it. The King Korg also feels like a focused instrument, rather than a jack of all trades trying to do everything at once.

My live rig currently is principally organ + synth modules. I hope Korg releases a desktop or rack version, so I can integrate it into my live setup. If the new electribe can match the full KK sound wise, I'd be hip to that too.

Anyways, just thought I'd share my thoughts on the King Korg. Thanks!

• 1 year later...
  • 5 years later...

Just bought one used. I have been eyeing (earing?) it since it came out. I absolutely love the sound, and the keybed is fine, but there is a certain cheapness to it. I remember sitting down to a Fantom G7 (I think) in the store and that high end synth action keyboard felt just so smooth and professional. Neither my JUNO nor the KingKORG has that. I have to invent a justification for me buying something like that to boost my ego. Otherwise I love it!

Life is subtractive.
Genres: Jazz, funk, pop, Christian worship, BebHop
Wishlist: 80s-ish (synth)pop, symph pop, prog rock, fusion, musical theatre
Gear: NS2 + JUNO-G. KingKORG. SP6 at church.

2 hours ago, marczellm said:

Just bought one used. I have been eyeing (earing?) it since it came out. I absolutely love the sound, and the keybed is fine, but there is a certain cheapness to it. I remember sitting down to a Fantom G7 (I think) in the store and that high end synth action keyboard felt just so smooth and professional. Neither my JUNO nor the KingKORG has that. I have to invent a justification for me buying something like that to boost my ego. Otherwise I love it!

Semi-weighed synth action of Fantom S/X/G is the best one I played. 

Yamaha P-515, Korg SV-2 73, Kurzweil PC4-7