Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KingKorg opinions ?

What is the general feeling about the KingKorg ?

Is it getting interest around ?

[i haven't found a thread, but may be i haven't understood the

search page well :-> ]

Maurizio

Nord Wave 2, Nord Electro 6D 61,, Rameau upright,  Hammond Pro44H Melodica.

Too many Arturia, NI and AAS plugins

http://www.barbogio.org/

https://barbogio.bandcamp.com/follow_me

I only tried it out for 20 minutes at the local GC two weeks' ago. My feeling was that it will have a same kind of history like Yamaha's ANX1, cool VA synth, few understood it, people will pick it up cheaply later as used units.

It sounds great and I like the interface, but I'm with D-Bon on this one. The keys are really awful. Even my VR-09 has better keys than this! They are loose allowing sideways motion and the pivot point is set too far forward. I have seen toy keyboards from radio shack with better keys.

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Walked up to one at GC yesterday, played an Ab triad, and the only note that sounded was middle C. The Ab and Eb keys wouldn't play because the blacks are hinged so poorly.

It has absolutely the worst keybed I've ever played on an instrument costing over $1000. The King Korg is for all practical purposes unusable in any kind of professional setting.

Walked up to one at GC yesterday, played an Ab triad, and the only note that sounded was middle C. The Ab and Eb keys wouldn't play because the blacks are hinged so poorly.

Exactly right. And this is supposed to be a performance keyboard? Doesn't matter how good it sounds if you can't play it properly.

Inexcusable. Absolutely inexcusable. I've said it before: what is the point of a musical instrument if it is unpleasant to play? It betrays a lack of respect for the musician.

King schming. Bah humbug.

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

I was going to complain about the KingKorg key bed but didn't want to get the reputation to complain about every possible bad keyboard out there...

But I agree, if a keyboard costs over $900 and the key bed is crap, best avoid such products. Now, you could maybe get them cheap later and use them via another MIDI controller...

How do you think this guy feels? He should sue them for sullying his reputation.

http://images.popmatters.com/news_art/k/king_kong_1933_still.jpg

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Well this friggin sucks because I have been really liking some of the demo on a certain YouTube synth channel. For crying out loud price the thing $200-$300 more and put a keyboard on it.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Well this friggin sucks because I have been really liking some of the demo on a certain YouTube synth channel. For crying out loud price the thing $200-$300 more and put a keyboard on it.

Yeah that was my thought too, and I think another $100 would have done it. Aren't they marketing this synth to players? If not, then who?

Yes, if they aim for bedroom producers they are just confused about the layout and really want a real analog system. If they aim for the gigging keyboard player, the non-good key bed is a big minus. Sad as I liked the sounds, indeed.

So a guy opens a thread to ask for opinion on an instrument - then another guy slams *one* particular aspect of it (the keybed), and voilà, in a few posts it has become a "krappy product". Scary.

I've played the KingKorg for about an hour last week. I found it a very decent instrument with a solid feel. The keybed did feel amateurish to my fingers, but the overall construction felt very reliable, the knobs were precise and the layout seemed logical and clear.

The analog-style oscillators sound like a variation on the Radias sound to my ears, with some added beef and clarity. Having 3 oscs per voice certainly helps. The filters sound nice but not great, and the resonance adds character without thinning out the sound.

With its sampled waveforms and effects onboard, The KK could serve multiple purposes in a small rig, and not just the "analog" portion.

It sounds like a VA, a good one. Then you add all the modulations and extra waveforms, it's a nice little synthesizer. Not for me to be sure, but I wouldn't call it crappy by any means.

I just played the KingKorg again over at GC. I liked the sounds, the UI is cool. The key bed is not fun for a >$1k keyboard. Now, there were other keyboards at the GC store with worse key beds but I won't mention those products again.

I'd be interested in it for live work, but I won't even get as far as lifting a finger on the 'crappy' keys to try it. Just knowing it has a separate power supply is enough reason to ignore it

We'll all be back to sound modules soon. Use your favourite (probably older than 10 years) controllers, and away ye go..

Keyboards - Kurzweil PC3X, Korg Triton Extreme + Moss, Roland JX8P, Roland V-Synth. www.xyzband.info

So a guy opens a thread to ask for opinion on an instrument - then another guy slams *one* particular aspect of it (the keybed), and voilà, in a few posts it has become a "krappy product". Scary.

:rolleyes:

I stand by my statement:

Doesn't matter how good it sounds if you can't play it properly.

Just knowing it has a separate power supply is enough reason to ignore it

This is becoming less and less of an "exception" and more of the rule.

:facepalm:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

:rolleyes:

I stand by my statement:

Doesn't matter how good it sounds if you can't play it properly.

I stand by my statement too. The only way I could get the blacks to trigger properly (or at all at times) was to hit them on their very tips - which would mean (for me at least) that I would have to modify my playing style too radically to be comfortable playing it.

Exactly, its could have been a really great product. Like I wrote, the user interface and VA sounds are top notch. It's really sad that what could have been really something is saddled to those keys. The first time I played one I didn't notice it. I was just plunking away in C in a loud GC. When I finally sat down to play it days later, I came to the same realization you did Bill, only I was playing a song in B! It was like I was trying to play a chord on a monophonic board!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell