Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hammond B3 playing height

Steve Force

I have searched the intrawebz but get conflicting information; therefore, I would like to reach out here and get a response I can trust.

My question is: what is the distance, from the floor, to the top of the lower manual Keybed on a Hammond B-3?

Thanks.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve,

On mine it's 32 1/4" from the floor to the flat of the white keys on the lower manual.

Craig

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

Steve, I'll have to get my tape out to check, but one thing to note is that the bench is higher than a piano bench. It's not huge, but it's noticeable.

I'll post my A-100, bench, and piano bench heights later today (unless this thread falls off the first page and I forget ;) ).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

My A-105 is 32.25" from the floor to the top of the lower manual.

The bench (factory) is 23.75" tall.

It is 8.5" from the top of the bench to the top of the lower manual.

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

I measure the top of the front wooden rail 31 7/8", top of the keys 32 1/2".

My bench measures 24 3/4. Mine is padded, which may account for the difference.

My piano bench is set at 21 1/2, though the one that came with the piano is 19".

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Kinda sorta still on-point question for here:

Is there any possible harm in leaving an A-100 on the "carries" and in the up position for an extended period of time?

I don't mind the temporary lift while playing and it makes getting into the back so much easier when I work on it.

Not much to tell, an organ playing colleague of mine, the riverboat, Belle of Louisville and a sudden summer thunderstorm and high winds. The boat started rocking and his B3 went rolling. Luckily the band corralled it before it headed for the side. After hearing that, from that point on the wheels stayed secured on my rig when we did that gig regardless of what the weather forecast was.

The B3 in my living room is 32.5" from the floor to the top of the wooden front rail.

The B3 in my dining room is 32.25" from the floor to the top of the wooden front rail.

The B3 in my studio is 32.75" from the floor to the top of the wooden front rail.

Either my house is sinking or my tape measure is Ferkakta!

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

Not much to tell, an organ playing colleague of mine, the riverboat, Belle of Louisville and a sudden summer thunderstorm and high winds. The boat started rocking and his B3 went rolling. Luckily the band corralled it before it headed for the side. After hearing that, from that point on the wheels stayed secured on my rig when we did that gig regardless of what the weather forecast was.

My favorite riverboat story was nearly 40 years ago when we played a bar mitzvah on a cruise boat in Miami... We motored out to the middle of the intracoastal waterway. When we switched on the 200W Kustom PA, the whole boat shut down. Motor stopped, lights out.. Kerplunk!

The captain told the kids that they could either have a cruise with no music, or they would motor back in and we would power off the dock. Damn, those kids chose the music.

That was also the night that our singer was arrested for contributing to the delinquency of a minor.... but that's another story... (so much for a tip)

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

• 3 years later...
Anyone happen to know what the height of the upper manual keys is?

bump.

34 3/8" to top of white keys on top manual. :)

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

Archived