Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

This Just In......PX-5S

unclebyron

Tom Brislin's demo at the SXSW Casio event showcases the AP very well. You can hear/see the dynamic contrast and legato control capability of the PX-5s. I wanted to get the CP-5, but wanted to see what this Privia can do. Can't wait to try it. BTW, Mike can this stream get uploaded on You Tube? Thanks, for all your info, input, promos, etc. for this winner.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Correction. The first shipment went out last last Friday. More coming in later in the month.

By "went out" do you mean en route from Asia to the USA, or that they're here in the States en route to retailers?

The latter may mean that they will be available in a few days :)

That sounds REALLY nice! If this has been posited earlier in the thread and I missed it, please forgive me, but about the only question I have for Mr Martin would be, what does this thing (especially the APs) sound like in mono? I would be using it almost exclusively that way in live situations, and some of the other APs I've owned in the past have been somewhat disappointing in that area....

I think if you listen to the Ustream content it is all in mono. I'll try to get it moved over to Youtube as suggested above. Personally I think our pianos translate very well in mono.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Here is a video of Stephan with some better audio

I am so not worthy.

Time for some woodshedding!!

Seriously that was just fracking awesome. Mike, that one video out of all of them, makes this new flagship instrument sound more like a piano than any I've heard before.

I know everything is subjective, but to me, you have helped create a serious beast of a stage piano. I have been close to pulling the trigger on something else, but after playing a PX350 to get the feel of the keybed, and after hearing this, I think you and Stephan just sold another one.

David

Gig Rig:Depends on the day :thu:

I pre-ordered from Kraft on March 10 (with the "bonus pak"). They were predicting April 30, so this is a wonderful surprise.

And thanks for posting Stephan's video, Mike! I'm really looking forward to this for lots of reasons (not that I will ever sound like THAT, but hey, I can dream...)

Steve

Wow guys, I'm deeply humbled that you pre-ordered the PX-5S. I admit, I was surprised to find out that we shipped some out a week earlier than I expected.

As I mentioned a few pages back in this thread we have have a firmware update coming. There are some significant new features but this update also gives me the opportunity to go back over the 100 Stage Settings and make some revisions. We're doing things like tweaking knob/slider assignments and other improvements like using the new toggle footswitch feature for rotary speaker effects and more.

It may be sooner but my estimate is about a week before the update is posted. The PC/Mac editors will follow shortly after.

We will be posting Stage Settings and other tones regularly but these will require the 1.10 update. They're not backwards compatible to 1.00. Anything you create however will be forward compatible to 1.10.

I'll be posting tips and guides as often as possible over at http://priviapro.wordpress.com

especially over the next couple weeks.

Thanks,

-Mike Martin

Casio

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

Mike, your wonderful demos and informative posts have sold a PX-5S to this (ex)lurker. My order just shipped from Kraft this afternoon.

Kurzweil PC4, Expressive E Osmose, UNO Synth Pro, Hammond B-3X on iPad, Rhodes Mark II Stage 73, ART 710-A MK4s

A funny story: The split button on my Roland FP2 started getting hinky recently. Roland suggested sending it in for repair - not really an option for a gigging keyboard player - so I did a little research and discovered the PX3 would do what I need: split the keyboard but also allow me to use the internal sound for bass and pan it to a separate output. (I've been using an external midi module for bass all these years.) The PX3 will also allow me to turn off the sustain pedal for the bass zone, something the Roland does by default when you send midi to an external module. Great! I like supporting the local retailers, so after discovering Rainbow Guitars here in Tucson couldn't get Casio, I talked to a friendly GC employee and checked out their existing inventory. I went home, pondered, and then called him back to special order a PX3.

After waiting two days for a return phone call, I gave up and called another local independent retailer, the Chicago Store. The lady there was very helpful, said she'd talk to the Casio rep and see how quickly she could get me a PX3, since I had a gig coming up where I needed to play keybass (last weekend.) A few minutes later she called back and said the PX3's were out of stock because of the new PX-5s that was due out in a couple of weeks, and that I really should consider getting one, even though they're $200 more. I was skeptical, but then I found this forum and some YouTube videos. LOL. I ordered my PX-5s the next day.

The funny part is that if the GC employee had called me back and found me a PX3 at one of their other stores, I would have bought it.... and then kicked myself later when I heard about the PX5s. I'm not always lucky, but I was this time. (No word yet from the Chicago Store, but I'm not worried. I only had to press the split button on the FP2 five times to get it to work last weekend, and my next keybass gig is still two weeks away.)

Not sure if they have more than pre-ordered, but mine is shipping today from Sweetwater. :)

I am jumping up and down excitedly... mine has just been shipped!

Very nice! From what reseller? I'm bugging my Sweetwater rep for more info just now...

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

Mine showed up this morning! Sounds great, one wrinkle I've hit though. When I have a piano sound up and I press the sustain pedal I get an audible "knock" that sounds like the damper resonance kicking in..... it's not as noticable when I'm playing, but it's there. I initialized it, but it didn't fix it.....guess I'll try a few more things and if I can't get rid of it I guess it's customer service time :-(

So I've had a few hours to play around with this thing and I must say it really sounds NICE! Love the sound of the AP's and Rhodes especially....the AP samples are plenty long enough to make me happy when I'm playing a ballad. The only issue I'm having with the physical interface at this point is I think a shortcoming with my own technique, and as such I'm willing to call it operator error, but I'm having a hard time keeping random notes in runs from jumping out WAY loud, even with the heavy touch setting. I mostly notice it in the AP's. It seems like the keyboard is WAY more sensitive than my goto AP (P90) and I'm having to make an adjustment, but the sound is sure worth it!

The pianos are set by default for a very wide dynamic range (as are all Privia models).

You can reduce this pretty easily although we will have some patches available for download after the firmware update next week.

If you want to experiment with this yourself, press the EDIT button, select TONE. Go to the AMP page. Find velocity and reduce it from a value of +64 to around 40. You'll have to scroll back up to the stop of the AMP page and reduce the overall volume to compensate.

-Mike Martin

Casio

The only issue I'm having with the physical interface at this point is I think a shortcoming with my own technique, and as such I'm willing to call it operator error, but I'm having a hard time keeping random notes in runs from jumping out WAY loud

I had a similar issue when I checked out the PX-350, but in reverse. On fast runs, every now and then, some notes seemed to be way too quiet. We may be experiencing two sides of the same coin. Interestingly, when I used MIDI to trigger the piano sound in some other board from the Casio's keybed, it was no issue at all. So I thought maybe it had something to do with the high resolution velocity scaling that they do (to achieve more than the standard 127 levels). But I haven't seen people mentioning this as a common problem, and, at any rate, I expect that I usually will be triggering an outboard piano sound with it, so I'm not really concerned.

edit: just saw Mike's response, I'll be curious to play with those settings as well!

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Mike, is there any video of the PX5S going through some of the other various non-piano sounds in the PX5, such as brass, organ, etc? I have a chance to sell my PX3 and move you to the PX5, so I'm just curious about the other types of sounds. Thanks a bunch, Don
Yamaha MOXF8, MOXF6, Radial Key Largo, Yamaha DXR 10's

Don,

I have a ton of video that is being edited now which includes many of the other sounds. The organs are a BIG step up from the PX-3. Even things like the brass are better because the way you can stack them while in a single sound (Hex-Layer)

-Mike Martin

Casio

Archived