Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

What about those keys for pure organ playing? From the sonic state video, I see that it allows that quick fire setting, right? Compared to regular waterfall keys, do they allow for proper smears and other organ techniques easily?

Regarding the organ engine/leslie sim, how do it compares with some older clonewheel technology, like the NE2 or Korg CX3?

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

C'mon guys. If you can no longer lift a B3, then retire already. Make room for all those young players who want your gigs!

Retirement is nice. No more asshole club managers, no more asshole drummers, and most importantly, no more asshole guitar players.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

What about those keys for pure organ playing? From the sonic state video, I see that it allows that quick fire setting, right? Compared to regular waterfall keys, do they allow for proper smears and other organ techniques easily?

Regarding the organ engine/leslie sim, how do it compares with some older clonewheel technology, like the NE2 or Korg CX3?

ToB3

I didn't have enough time to really get a feel for the keyboard, I was really more concerned with the sound, and as far as the sound goes, I was hearing it through a very small near field monitors so I really couldn't judge too well. I did see the sonic state video and the mention of the "quick fire" setting and I expect that simply means the organ triggers on the upper contact/switch.. which is good, triggering on the lower was one of the initial complaints about the SK1 because it felt "stiff" to some (hammond has fixed this).

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

C'mon guys. If you can no longer lift a B3, then retire already. Make room for all those young players who want your gigs!

Retirement is nice. No more asshole club managers, no more asshole drummers, and most importantly, no more asshole guitar players.

Hmm, how many different ways might I respond to this..

1. I'd miss the groupies..

2. All these assholes are my only friends

3. My fiancee actually thinks I'm a rock star, I can't break her heart

4. I'd miss all the alcohol I get to consume

5. Lifing my organ is the only exercise I get (there's some truth to this one)

6. F the young guys and their dub-step crap

7. etc.

Something tells me that "why I can't retire from music" would be a very interesting thread..

Craig MacDonald

Hammond BV, Franken-B (A100 in a BV cabinet), Leslies 122/147/44W, Crumar Mojo, HX3 module, Korg Kronos, VR-09, Roland GAIA, Burn, Ventilator

I'm planning on gigging until my body goes stiff. No need for a B3 for gigs, exactly :-). Which is good, today's technologies have extended the life of anyone doing gigs into extremely old age.

As noted above, it's the same keybed as the Juno Di and Gi. I've played it in Guitar Center. I would describe the experience as somewhere between plunging your hands into boiling hot oil and playing pattycake with a cactus. Truly, it made me wonder whether this product can even be called a musical instrument, or whether truth-in-advertising would dictate that it be denominated a torture device -- something the CIA might deploy only in extreme situations where waterboarding can't get the job done. In the hope that such a dastardly device might nevertheless be put to some societal use, I asked the guy at GC whether he thought the keys could be melted down and recycled for use as, for instance, those grocery store bulk product bins you see in used for holding granola. I hardly need to tell you that, being a GC employee, he was completely unhelpful.

Seriously, when the day comes that I can't play good music on something like the VR-09 keyboard, then I'll retire.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

As noted above, it's the same keybed as the Juno Di and Gi. I've played it in Guitar Center. I would describe the experience as somewhere between plunging your hands into boiling hot oil and playing pattycake with a cactus. Truly, it made me wonder whether this product can even be called a musical instrument, or whether truth-in-advertising would dictate that it be denominated a torture device -- something the CIA might deploy only in extreme situations where waterboarding can't get the job done. In the hope that such a dastardly device might nevertheless be put to some societal use, I asked the guy at GC whether he thought the keys could be melted down and recycled for use as, for instance, those grocery store bulk product bins you see in used for holding granola. I hardly need to tell you that, being a GC employee, he was completely unhelpful.

Seriously, when the day comes that I can't play good music on something like the VR-09 keyboard, then I'll retire.

+1. Actually +10. Just now I'm rehearsing in the garage with an old Alesis keyboard MIDI:ed into Mainstage where the C-0 key mostly returns 127 velocity levels (even after cleaning up the keybed). I figured out last night why, C0 is mapped to MIDI drum kicks and I've pounded thousands of kick patterns with that keyboard in the studio. Still gets the job done for ad hoc practices. A VR-09 key bed will be Nirvana for me.

I'm planning on gigging until my body goes stiff. No need for a B3 for gigs, exactly :-). Which is good, today's technologies have extended the life of anyone doing gigs into extremely old age.

+1

Legend Soul 261, Leslie 251, Yamaha UX1, CP4, CK61, Hammond SK1, Ventilator, Privia PX3, Behringer 2600, Korg Triton LE, VB3M, B3X, various guitars and woodwinds, drum kits …

7. etc.

Something tells me that "why I can't retire from music" would be a very interesting thread..

Thanks Craig.... Very funny.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

So, did they decided on the final launch date yet?? Will we hear something new about it (any change on the OS or something like that) or is it a closed deal already just waiting to hit the streets?

Still curious about how the EP's and Clavs stand up compared to the samples present on the usual contenders of the category, given it has been said earlier that they are taken from Roland finest (the GX line or something)...

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

Hoping it does not change... and that it's present and available for our fellow forumites that will be at Messe (plugged and ready to be played, of course)...

7. etc.

A very resounding +1000

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

So, anybody attending Messe had the opportunity to play the VR-09 (if it's there, of course)? If so, what did you think of the organ sounds (comparing both with the latest clone generation and the older one) and especially: what about the EPs and clavs compared to the usual suspects (nord, kurz, sv1 and why not, roland GX line)? Are they really derived from the top Roland samples and contain extra elemnts (key off, noises, etc) or not?

Curiously it appears Roland did not even have the VR at Musikmesse (just assuming from the youtube stuff) opting to reveal the FP's, RC-505 looper, BK-9 arranger, and a couple of modeling accordions. This makes the VR old news yet it is still on preorder status?

I tend to think that it's "old news" at this point.. although we're still waiting for it to hit the stores.. (I have one on order)..

Craig MacDonald

Perhaps this type of instrument is not of interest to the Euro-demographics? Yep, I too have had one on order since early Feb, immediately after viewing Mr. Fortner's enthusiastic NAMM vid. I think most of the music is memorized from every youtube vid out there on the VR. Another couple-hundred views of musictrackjp's VR demo and I may acquire fluent Japanese, but only when talking about that keyboard. :/

This my first brand new synth purchase since a Korg MS2000r, before that was a floor demo Super JX in the late 80's. The delivery delay has provided plenty of time to research the other new stuff as well as combing ebay and Craig's list to quell my G.A.S. but the VR is nearly a perfect focus on my niche of a classic rock cover band and original hard rockin blues. The only other new thing that comes close to what I need is the new Casio privia but it is yet to be released as well.

My current clone wheel is an aged and fragile Rhodes VK-1000 but for as massive as the monster is, the sound is just not worth dragging it to a bar gig. A yamaha EX5 mostly covers piano and organ duties (rt-20 for rotory) and a Fantom X7 on top does everything else. Intentions are retiring the EX to the studio and have the VR atop the X7 for gigs. Highest bidders will likely get my VK1000 and RT-20 if the VR lives up to expectations.

Pity it wasn't at Messe... Guess 12 pounds was too much to Roland carry it it around.... :D

But seriously... Really hoping it hits the streets on the specified date... Really curious to see how the Organ, EPs and Clavs stand up to my NE2... and specially how is the player-to-keyboard connection on those sounds... and how is the ease of use live, splits, layers, on the fly manipulation, etc... If only Roland had a Dave Weiser or Mike Martin kind of representation around here...

Humm.. let's see... to be able to play it in person and see if it attends my personal needs as soon as possible, so I can move on to other options if it's not the case?

:idea:

I don't NEED to do that. Just want. Plain gas meets curiosity, with, okay, a little need. Just that, fair, no? Thanks. ;)

Really hoping it hits the streets on the specified date...

Why?

I fully understand why ToB3 wants a specific date.. without one, you're just anxiously waiting without any sense for when the waiting will end.. and this tends to drive some of us musicians (mostly GAS sufferers) to distraction.. having a date allows us all to file it away and focus on other things while we're waiting!! Makes perfect sense to me.

That said, I was told April with I ordered my VR-09 and we're now half way through April and I have no specific date yet.. I would prefer a date, even it's May, just give me a date so I can file away those "when's it coming" thoughts...

Craig MacDonald

Wow, that totally explains my recent high anxiety...the open ended wait. Thank you Mr. MacDonald, you should consider taking up psychotherapy for musicians. :crazy:

My sales rep answered an inquiry about eta with 04/29 but quickly added there is no tracking number yet, so it should be taken as only a rough estimate provided by Roland. At least that helps me focus on practice for the next gig with my current rig.