Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland V-Combo VR-09

Is there a substitute for the Roland Wireless USB that will work on the VR-09? I just dislike spending more than I have to and looks like I could buy a NETGear wireless USB for $15.00 verses $50

I want to use it with the iPad app.

get the Netgear N150, works fine with the VR09

I first apologize but I tried searching for this and had no luck.

Question

Is there a substitute for the Roland Wireless USB that will work on the VR-09? I just dislike spending more than I have to and looks like I could buy a NETGear wireless USB for $15.00 verses $50

I want to use it with the iPad app.

In shopping for that on Amazon, I discovered they are the same piece. Roland just took the Netgear and slapped their name on it.

Soul, R&B, Pop from Los Angeles

http://philipclark.com

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

By the way, I still can't get my VR to update. It just gives me a dark screen when I follow their instructions. Should I try a different USB stick, perhaps?

Cannonball Gerald Albright Signature Alto, Yamaha YC73, Fender Rhodes, Roland Juno-106, Yamaha MX61, Roland VR-09, MicroKorg XL, Maschine Mikro, Yamaha Reface CP, Roland MKS-50

Hi everyone, apologizing if this question has been asked before, I looked for the answer all over the net and here but no luck so far.

I recently bought this wonderful keyboard. I'm quite satisfied overall but there's one thing that bugs me, and its this: on some sounds (mostly some brass sounds such as sax), the pitch bend acts in some weird irregular way. Instead of bending the sound smoothly across the tone, it just "jumps" discretely from, lets say C to D. Only when I move the joystick uber-slow, it actually bends the pitch and not "switching" up a tone.

I just wish to verify with the friends here in the forum whether this phenomenon appears to happen also on their unit, or might it be that my unit is defective, or perhaps I'm just missing some really basic setting that controls this.

Many thanks to those who would bother and check it. I hate this feeling of buying a new product and finding out there's something odd about it. Thanks again!

Jove

My end goal is to create a registration-sharing website. For the curious, my source code is published here: https://code.google.com/p/vr09-tools

Wes

Goota love IT / Tech types. I can't really help you out but I wish you the best of luck. Such a website / databse would be invaluable for us users.

Nord Stage 2 Compact, Yamaha MODX8

By the way, I still can't get my VR to update. It just gives me a dark screen when I follow their instructions. Should I try a different USB stick, perhaps?

Ask Craig. :idea:

Dude. way too soon.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

Dr88s, you can help by saving your VR09's registrations (Media menu) onto a USB stick, putting the USB stick into your computer, and e-mailing me the files the VR09 saved on it. :D (I promise not to share data collected at this stage of the project...it will all be wiped before I open the general public).

I normally don't do "personal" IT projects because that's my full-time job...but this is exciting enough for me as an eventual end-user that I'm biting the bullet and gettin' 'er done. :)

Wes

Hammond: L111, M100, M3, BC, CV, Franken CV, A100, D152, C3, B3

Leslie: 710, 760, 51C, 147, 145, 122, 22H, 31H

Yamaha: CP4, DGX-620, DX7II-FD-E!, PF85, DX9

Roland: VR-09, RD-800

Ask Craig. :idea:

Dude. way too soon.

It's never too soon.

You guys are fucking hilarious.

Do you ever sort this? I've got exactly the same problem. I'm on my second VR09 (part exchanged the first one and regretted it immediately so I've just picked one up 2nd hand). When I did the update on my original board it was fine - this time round I just get a blank screen and have to abort.

Nord Electro 4D, Roland VR09, Roland RD-300SX

By the way, I still can't get my VR to update.

I've got exactly the same problem.

You guys should've bought a Hammond.

:whistle:

Yeah, and have compatibility issues with the USB stick you're trying to use to update it to take care of the compatibility issues you are having. Been there, done that but all is good now! :laugh:

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

ANYTHING else is a klone ..

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Gawd, this place has become really ugly. I don't condone Craig's actions resulting with his ban on this forum but I can begin to understand his reaction to the onslaught of incessent button presses and pokes.

Hammond (Suzuki) has a real good sounding Hammond CLONE. So does Nord. So does Korg in some opinions. Mojo and Numa as well. Roland has a bang-for-the-buck close approximation and some long-timers here gang up on someone passionate enough to defend a product for what it is just to get an entertaining rise from him frantically upholding his opinion.

Please leave well enough alone as DB requested in the other thread so those seeking advice on this wonderful musical tool (as some might see it) don't have to wade through such nasty muck.

Thank you.

Gawd, this place has become really ugly. I don't condone Craig's actions resulting with his ban on this forum but I can begin to understand his reaction to the onslaught of incessent button presses and pokes.

Hammond (Suzuki) had a real good sounding Hammond CLONE. So does Nord. So does Korg in some opinions. Mojo and Numa as well. Roland has a bang-for-the-buck close approximation and some long-timers here gang up on someone pasionate enough to defend a product for what it is just to get an entertaining rise from him frantically upholding his opinion.

Please leave well enough alone as DB requested in the other thread so those seeking advice on this wonderful musical tool (as some might see it) don't have to wade through such nasty muck.

Thank you.

And thank YOU!

To those wondering, I did resolve the update issue, by buying a new USB stick. Went off without a hitch.

To their credit, I did go to the Roland Support Forum, and they even offered to load the update on one of their USB keys and mail it to me. Say what you want about their boards, I'm already appreciating their forum moderators more than cranky old, condescending BadMister on the Motifator forums (just my opinion).

As I learn more about this board, I will do my best to pass my knowledge onto those of you that are actually here to STICK TO THE TOPIC, not giggle behind someone's back like a couple of kindergarteners.

Thank you Brenner & Dreamchild!

WesG: Your patch librarian project sounds very interesting. i look forward to hearing more about it. :) I would be happy to send you some relevant files but unfortunately I have not yet ventured into the deep editing bit yet.....

"Turn your fingers into a dust rag and keep them keys clean!" ;) Bluzeyone

To their credit, I did go to the Roland Support Forum, and they even offered to load the update on one of their USB keys and mail it to me. Say what you want about their boards, I'm already appreciating their forum moderators more than cranky old, condescending BadMister on the Motifator forums (just my opinion).

As I learn more about this board, I will do my best to pass my knowledge onto those of you that are actually here to STICK TO THE TOPIC, not giggle behind someone's back like a couple of kindergarteners.

BadMister is one of the most respected, talented, and decent human beings one could ever meet. He has done as much for the current keyboard industry as any individual could have done. In the 25 years I have known him his relentless energy has continued shaping Yamaha as an industry leader. He even registered and posted here once to help clarify some things when the CP4 was introduced. Your opinion on the Motifator forum is as off topic as any other off topic post on this thread. Anyway, enjoy you VR-09.

:nopity:

Yeah, and have compatibility issues with the USB stick you're trying to use to update it to take care of the compatibility issues you are having. Been there, done that but all is good now! :laugh:

Hope I didn't come across the wrong way this earlier post. I have three different clones (which I will include the VR-09 in that pack along with a ver2 digital Korg CX-3 with vent and the newer Hammond XK-1c that I have.) I actually bought the VR-09 because of Craig and his deep devotion in what he thought was a good product at the price point it was sitting at. Although I think the Hammond is the best of the three when it comes to the organ end of it, each has a place for someone to enjoy. The extra voices on the VR-09 are very good in my opinion and the organ section is really not bad at all. My poke was more towards the Hammond I own and not anything else. Every clone is going to have something that one can always pick at as not being up to snuff.

John Cassetty

"there is no dark side of the moon, really. As a matter of fact it's all dark"

BadMister is one of the most respected, talented, and decent human beings one could ever meet. He has done as much for the current keyboard industry as any individual could have done. In the 25 years I have known him his relentless energy has continued shaping Yamaha as an industry leader. He even registered and posted here once to help clarify some things when the CP4 was introduced. Your opinion on the Motifator forum is as off topic as any other off topic post on this thread. Anyway, enjoy you VR-09.

Not to belabor this, and this is the last I'll say about it: I've met Phil. And, while he is a nice enough guy, he does act holier-than-thou and condescending in the very forums he moderates. I'm not the only person to observe or mention it.

It's my OPINION that he has a much better handle dealing with an issue face-to-face than typing a response in a forum post. Some people just know how to communicate better in person than in text.

Case in point and just my personal experience here the Roland people went out of their way to be responsive and sensitive to my dilemma. Any dealings online I've had with Phil have been met with a sort of "your problem isn't really a problem and you're kind of stupid for even bringing it up here" manner.

It's not my intention to deride the character of the man. I'm just saying perhaps it would be wise for Yamaha to place more than just one Moderator in charge of such a valuable forum.

All I can say about BadMister, is that on the two occasions I contacted him with a problem, he was very gracious, helpful and patient, and solved my problems - one of which (in hindsight) was a stupid question.

I have nothing but praise for the guy.

SSM

Occasionally, do something nice for a total stranger. They'll wonder what the hell is going on!

Badmister isn't the forum moderator. he's a technical guru paid by Yamaha to monitor forum posts to answer technical questions the rest of the forum can't solve. Keyfax employees moderate the sites, their special relationship with Yamaha ... I do not understand.

He can be gruff at times and gracious at times, my observation is its a function of the user question, tone and criticism of Yamaha. I'll conceded he doesn't accept blanket Yamaha cricitism and he is a very able, loyal and fierce Yamaha defender

But I too have asked for his help several times and he has patiently helped me learn some intricacy which plagued my functionality each time. some of my questions were also borderline stupid (ignorant is a better term). I've never had a problem with him, he's helped me alot.

your case in point offered no case in point regarding BM, btw. really not my issue, just an observation.

I blame myself, for making a joke about Craig. sorry if that upset anyone. it was just a joke.

The baiting I do is purely for entertainment value. Please feel free to ignore it.

well ok anyway, back to what I thought was the roland vr-09 forum, I did learn that the sounds do stay as selected in the various categories where you left them.. And as Craig, who was definitely the most helpful person on this forum said, if you change the key, it stays in the key in the same registration. I am glad the update finally worked, I did check the version and have 1.02.. Looking forward to 1.03.. the vr-09 is a great little keyboard if your interest is in GIGGING.. if its in working in cubase then find something else.. if you like yamaha organs (good luck with that), find those yamaha forums! I did try an XF before getting the vr09.. The XF has many bells and whistles that will never come into a gigging situation. That made the decision on the vr-09 actually easy, and having used it now less than a week, its obvious to me that for what I need it for, it fits the bill.

I used my VR-09 with my classic rock band for the first time tonight. We decided to try playing The Cars' "Just What I Needed", which I've already designed registrations for on the VR-09.

Getting the VR-09 up and running was easy -- it's so small and light I just plunked it on top of my 88, and moved the audio cable from one to the other. I already had batteries in the VR-09, so no bother with the power cord...literally just picked it off the stand where I practice and plunked it on of my other board during the intro to the song.

And it sounded fan-freakin'-tastic. I have to figure out how to integrate that thing in my main rig now. I'm sure we'll be adding that song.

Wes

Can we maybe break the Craig BS out into a separate thread?

The one I got in the Roland packaging says, IIRC, "Netgear WNA-1100" on it. I have no knowledge w.r.t. COTS equivalents.

All - I am working on a VR-09 Patch Librarian web service. I am at the stage now where I could really use some data files to test with from a VR-09 that isn't mine, so that I can ensure that my reverse engineering of the data file format is correct.

If anybody has some files that you would be willing to share with me, I would really appreciate it. My personal email is wes at page dot ca. I could use both VR09_xxx.UPG and VRSYN001.DAT files from your USB storage. If you have any idea of what changes you've made to deep synth data, it would be helpful to include a note. The firmware version of the VR09 might be good to have, too.

My end goal is to create a registration-sharing website. For the curious, my source code is published here: https://code.google.com/p/vr09-tools

Wes

The Netgear N150 WNA1100 works like a champ... now we just need someone to peruse this thread for all the great changes you muso's have made!!!!

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com