Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Even the greats make mistakes -- video evidence

stepay

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man who don't make mistakes doesn't do a Hell of a lot.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Yes, we all make mistakes. It's a little gratifying to this wannabe chump to see one of his esteemed influences finish off a brilliant solo by stepping on his tool and driving the band into the swimming pool. Train wreck and all, I absolutely love it. It's live, it's real, it grooves deep, and there's lots of tasty stuff to lift from Joe. It's even a lesson in laughing at your clams and playing on.

[video:youtube]

--wmp

Saw a video Clapton playing "White Room" in concert. He's played it a million times, right? He starts his solo one fret too high. Looks back at Nathan East, rolls his eyes, laughs, and continues in the right key.

This performance was sublime, even with the little flub.

Amen to that. Love live music and what can happen. Part of the journey is figuring out how the musicians are going to get you from here to there while navigating some interesting terrain and maybe even some bumps along the way.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

It's a little gratifying to this wannabe chump to see one of his esteemed influences finish off a brilliant solo by stepping on his tool and driving the band into the swimming pool.

Thank you for this. For the last two days every time this colorful turn of phrase enters my mind I start to laugh uncontrollably. It's perfect.

It's a little gratifying to this wannabe chump to see one of his esteemed influences finish off a brilliant solo by stepping on his tool and driving the band into the swimming pool.

Brilliant. Oh the humanity! :D

The looks those guys were giving each other ... it's such a familiar feeling. :facepalm:

Loved the clip and the band. :thu:

I get what you're saying, but that was the format of the show, IIRC. Sanborn was part of the house band, and throwing a solo in like that was part of the gig.

Of course, I take it kanker's not a Sanborn fan... :)

Not in any way, shape or form. That said, it should still be about the song, not the ego.

What do you have against Sanborn?

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I get what you're saying, but that was the format of the show, IIRC. Sanborn was part of the house band, and throwing a solo in like that was part of the gig.

Of course, I take it kanker's not a Sanborn fan... :)

Not in any way, shape or form. That said, it should still be about the song, not the ego.

What do you have against Sanborn?

His tone, his approach, the effect he's had on alto players in the last 30 years (that thankfully Kenny Garrett has started to reverse), along with a general dislike of the alto saxophone and most RnB and blues sax playing. Sanborn is kinda the SRV of the sax - he basically ruined generations of musicians because of his influence.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I would rather have a tenor any day. I know sax players that hate the alto sax. Playing alto sax is like being 20 years old and not being old enough to drink. Your almost there but not quite.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

Curtis just displayed a rare gesture of grace and humility to let Sanborn continue. Vocalists should take notice and learn a good lesson from this.

Technical precision and digital editing have sterilized many recordings and live peformances.

Music should be organic. Mistakes are like hiccups that let us know it is a(live). :laugh::cool:

:thu:

Kurzweil PC4, NS3-88, Kronos 2-61, QSC K8.2's.

I think I see where kanker is coming from. A friend of mine always says she hate the sound of saxophone, but she's really thinking about the sound of alto sax played in the style of Sanborn. Its the context of that sound that she actually hates, which tends to be smooth jazz. There are so many alto sax players in that genre who copped Sanborn's sound, from the Rippington's alto sax player in the early 90s, to the Yellowjacket's alto sax player who was replaced by the much more interesting Bob Mintzer.

One time I took my friend to see Marshall Allen in concert and she actually loved his sound - far more aggressive than smooth jazz. :)

Ironically, I've heard edgier, more interesting stuff from Sanborn, outside of the Sanborn tracks smooth jazz stations love to play.

I did go through a period of avoiding the Sanborn sound by educating myself on the music and playing of Ornette, Eric Dolphy, John Zorn, etc. My current faves on that horn are Ned Rothenberg and Evan Parker (no relation to Charlie).

Archived