Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Even the greats make mistakes -- video evidence

stepay

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
are you talking about the "32nd note" lick right at 1:43? Stepped on the vocalist. He pulled up quick - Hardly noticeable and look how he repeated it right after - the jazz mistake rule - where the lick belonged in the first place. If that was it, it wasn't much of a mistake and it did not screw up the modulation. Nice to know I have this in common with the great David Sanborn; I make mistakes, too. and thanks for the post- our band needs to do this number tomorrow night. :)
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

are you talking about the "32nd note" lick right at 1:43?

Not quite. Both Mayfield and Sanborn started the verse at the same time. Mayfield dropped out. I'm assuming that the sax break should have been there, and Mayfield came in early for the 3rd verse.

I think the sax lick belonged where it was played, after the "sax blip" I thought Sanborn lightly stepped on the vocals - whether it was his mistake or Mayfields. IMO no saxophone needed to be where the blip was - that's why it started again right after. Sanborn was probably surprised. In my view, the sax should always defer to the singer, which is what Sanborn did. So I don't really hold Sanborn culpable. Just my take on it. And - it's Mayfield's tune - he can sing it any way he wants - so he's never early or late. Ahh the perils of backing up a singer :laugh:

are you talking about the "32nd note" lick right at 1:43?

Not quite. Both Mayfield and Sanborn started the verse at the same time. Mayfield dropped out. I'm assuming that the sax break should have been there, and Mayfield came in early for the 3rd verse.

Yep.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I think the sax lick belonged where it was played, after the "sax blip" I thought Sanborn lightly stepped on the vocals - whether it was his mistake or Mayfields. IMO no saxophone needed to be where the blip was - that's why it started again right after. Sanborn was probably surprised. In my view, the sax should always defer to the singer, which is what Sanborn did. So I don't really hold Sanborn culpable. Just my take on it. And - it's Mayfield's tune - he can sing it any way he wants - so he's never early or late. Ahh the perils of backing up a singer :laugh:

I'm assuming, since Sanborn was on the stage, that Sanborn was supposed to have a solo and that it was at that time when Mayfield began singing when he shouldn't have.

Anyway, I wish he were still here to make mistakes or not.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

I'd actually say Sanborn shoulda just laid back and let Curtis sing. It's ain't Sanborn's song after all....

I'm assuming that would have led to awkward silence. :laugh: It's like at the grocery store, when one does the left-right-left-right dance with an oncoming person. Someone's gotta just stand firm at some point. :laugh:

Speculating here ..

... seems to me Curtis completed his phrase and stepped back from the mic very intentionally after the "collision." Maybe Sanborn saw/sensed that.

In any case, it's a professional recovery. :thu:

"I'd actually say Sanborn shoulda just laid back and let Curtis sing. It's ain't Sanborn's song after all...." , said Kanker, above.

That is the point I tried to get across above. You have accompanied singers, I bet; Kanker, you are absolutely right.

I'd actually say Sanborn shoulda just laid back and let Curtis sing. It's ain't Sanborn's song after all....

I'm assuming that would have led to awkward silence. :laugh: It's like at the grocery store, when one does the left-right-left-right dance with an oncoming person. Someone's gotta just stand firm at some point. :laugh:

I meant to lay back entirely. Who needs to hear Sanborn's yakety sax when Curtis is singing? Had Curtis intended for there to be a sax solo in the song, there would have been one in the original ;)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I get what you're saying, but that was the format of the show, IIRC. Sanborn was part of the house band, and throwing a solo in like that was part of the gig.

Of course, I take it kanker's not a Sanborn fan... :)

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I get what you're saying, but that was the format of the show, IIRC. Sanborn was part of the house band, and throwing a solo in like that was part of the gig.

Not in any way, shape or form. That said, it should still be about the song, not the ego.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Not in any way, shape or form. That said, it should still be about the song, not the ego.

It should be about what happened in the rehearsal. :laugh: This was not a spontaneous act. There was a rehearsal, they got camera angles just like every other TV show. No matter their fame or who is who or whose song it is etc, there is only one constant: The singer screwed up. :laugh:

If Curtis was cool with the solo being there, so am I. :D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

It should be about what happened in the rehearsal. :laugh: This was not a spontaneous act. There was a rehearsal, they got camera angles just like every other TV show. No matter their fame or who is who or whose song it is etc, there is only one constant: The singer screwed up. :laugh:

Haha! Yeah, it seems pretty clear that Sanborn backed off after the collision and then quickly saw that Mayfield was backing off too. So he played his solo, probably as rehearsed. All in all, a good recovery. :)

It does sound like Sanborn paused but then continued when Curtis backed off. Funny though- I'm always preaching to my praise team: "singer's always right, even when they're wrong" and there have been MANY occasions where a singer has forgotten about a little instrumental break, and I look at the guitarist & shrug "sorry dude".

EVERYONE notices when a singer screws up (case in point- this thread). Almost no one notices when a musician screws up.

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

The worst is when there's a collision, and BOTH players back off, leaving a conspicuous hole where there should be a solo.

Recently, at a gig with inadequate monitors, I ended up playing a solo at the same time as the trombone. The trombonist was totally oblivious. It was definitely time for a keyboard solo, and I decided that I wasn't going to stop. I thought it was a hilarious good time. The bandleader, not so much. :)

It was a beautiful thing: people making music. No tape, no mimes, and a mishap here and there to keep everyone on their feet. It shows how utterly ridiculous lip-sync can be.

+1 :thu:

Technical precision and digital editing have sterilized many recordings and live peformances.

Music should be organic. Mistakes are like hiccups that let us know it is a(live). :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived