Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Dave's excellent Hammond midi controller debuts

Thanks everyone so much for the compliments! The group of people that I can share this with, and who actually appreciate it, is pretty small. My wife allows that it is "pretty" but I can hardly bore her with all the details.

To answer a few questions:

Right now, I am controlling VB-3 in my DAW. I have a Receptor, but I don't think that is a suitable host. The reason for that is that I am using over 90 CCs on Midi channel 1, and Receptor uses those for controlling the mixer screen. Besides, it's big and heavy. So I want to build a single board computer to run VB-3 live - the equivalent of what is in Mojo and Hamichord.

However, V-Machines are getting blown out right now, I should probably just pick one up to hold me over until I do something else.

I may decide to mount it in the controller itself to make it a true organ, or I may decide to build it into a 1U rack. However if I do that, there's room in there for more than one...

Someone else asked about how much I had invested. That's a tough question. I kept close track of expenses for about 3 years, but in this last year I just gave up.

It's definitely a one-off. Some of the extreme stuff I did to reduce weight just would never be practical in a production environment. For instance, there is over $300 in carbon fiber material alone in it. Building the first of anything is ridiculously expensive. I made mistakes with the custom circuit boards and had to throw them away more than once.

I would guess I am out of pocket between $2500 and $3000, probably somewhere in the middle of that range.

The flat top on the case was deliberate. In fact, I made the organ 1.5" deeper than it strictly needed to be, so that a Nord Stage would not hang too far off of it.

Moe

---

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks everyone so much for the compliments! The group of people that I can share this with, and who actually appreciate it, is pretty small. My wife allows that it is "pretty" but I can hardly bore her with all the details.

This.

I feel certain that, with all the comments you've received, you know that we appreciate the skills, Dave.

My wife tunes me out when I talk about topics such as this. And that's OK. I certainly understand.

So, keep posting! This is the kind of stuff we live for. :cool:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Thanks everyone so much for the compliments! The group of people that

However, V-Machines are getting blown out right now, I should probably just pick one up to hold me over until I do something else.

Looking at your stunning controller solution, I asked myself whether a standard blow out VMachine will run upcoming VB3-2 too or only VB3 1.4 at max.

Do you have any info from Guido on this ?

Can be we´d need the faster dual core ATOM to run VB3-2, but eventually not because it seems there are ressources free for Key-Performer 2 on the dual core ATOM bord used in Crumar MOJO.

A.C.

Looking at your stunning controller solution, I asked myself whether a standard blow out VMachine will run upcoming VB3-2 too or only VB3 1.4 at max.

Do you have any info from Guido on this ?

Can be we´d need the faster dual core ATOM to run VB3-2, but eventually not because it seems there are ressources free for Key-Performer 2 on the dual core ATOM bord used in Crumar MOJO.

A.C.

The only thing I have from Guido is a listing of the current Mojo SBC:

===================

The Hamichord/Mojo is currently based on a Intel D510MO mainboard with

1 Gb of RAM, a 1 or 2 Gb DOM and the Behringer UCA-202 USB soundcard

soon to be replaced by a custom made midi/audio interface.

===================

which is dual core, right?

Moe

---

The only thing I have from Guido is a listing of the current Mojo SBC:

===================

The Hamichord/Mojo is currently based on a Intel D510MO mainboard with

1 Gb of RAM, a 1 or 2 Gb DOM and the Behringer UCA-202 USB soundcard

soon to be replaced by a custom made midi/audio interface.

===================

which is dual core, right?

Yes ...

http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18357/eng/D510MO_ProductGuide01_English.pdf

It´s the same 1.66GHz Atom we see in Korg Kronos.

VB3 1.4 runs flawlessly on a 1GHz single core VMachine and Kronos runs a shitload of synth-engines and sample processing on the dual core 1.66 ATOM.

That´s why I wonder whether VB3-2 will run on a single core 1 GHz Atom (in a VMachine) too or what´s the necessity to use a dual core ATOM 1.66GHz to run VB3-2.

Maybe, it´s not only for the sound engine but to operate all the other controls and MIDI in MOJO/Hamichord too.

As far I understood, all the operation of controls and MIDI is already done inside your controller design, using other electronic components.

Only the computing device for the sound-engine (which shall/will be VB3-2) isn´t build in actually.

It might be out of interest for all the guys buying ready to play gear,- but not for the guys being interested to get their customized gear.

I googled a bit (end customer prices incl. VAT):

Intel D510MO = EUR 67.-

Behringer UCA 202 USB = EUR 24.- (Thomann)

1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM = EUR 10.-

2GB DOM (IDE or SATA),-

I was too lazy to google different prices,- at max. EUR 50.-

Software plugin in addition,- EUR 100.- ?

That´s all for just only ONE piece of engine.

I wonder whether we should organize a KC group buy for your controller incl. the engine or not.

Depends on availability of "Hammond" type parts like drawbars, rocker switches and C/V knob.

Keybed is another story.

What about a DIY set ?

Did you think about selling plans and instructions ?

A.C.

Beautiful work on the wood, and great attention to detail and professional fit and finish.

Will you build others? A "Moe Mark II" perhaps?

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

That is one of the nicest instruments I've ever seen, amazing!

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

Wow.... I cast my vote, as well, for a Keyboard article. Could easily see that single manual version driving VB3 in my rig. The design looks tight, nails the technology, and is classy. Great work ! :thu:

'Someday, we'll look back on these days and laugh; likely a maniacal laugh from our padded cells, but a laugh nonetheless' - Mr. Boffo.

We need a barfing cat emoticon!

My wife allows that it is "pretty" but I can hardly bore her with all the details.

That is a brilliant work of incredible beauty and inspiration. I cant even find words.

Please tell your wife that a guy on the internet named "Frogmonkey" said so-- that ought to convince her. :D

I followed your threads about this project with excitement, and it is very gratifying to see it finished! I would really love to see a video of it in action :)

YOU ARE DA MAN! From my view this is a very-nearly perfect Hammond-style performance controller! Only one set of crucial components missing, my brother. WHERE ARE THE START/RUN SWITCHES? Ok...I know they're not necessary for power-up/power-down, but the only authentic way I know of to trigger generator wind-down effects.

Alright...it's a stupid comment, and I am highly impressed with this thing! I WANT ONE!!!

Congratulations on this monumental achievement!

Best,

Fox