Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songs that fall flat when you try to play THEM

Outkaster

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*asshole reply*

Someday I want to be as perfect as you

You should want to get paid to be as perfect as I am, because that's the only reason I'm that perfect. :D

As perfect as the 2007 Patriots???

http://hailmaryjane.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/perfection-denied.jpg

Was dying to play Vanilla Fudge: Set Me Free Could never get it to sound right! The Band? several never made it out of rehearsal. Currently Bonny Rait's "Something to Talk About" may join that list as we just can't get the background vocals down, while I'm having no problem with the organ parts!

Hammonds:1959 M3,1961 A-101,Vent, 2 Leslies,VB3/Axiom,

Casio WK-7500,Yamaha P50m Module/DGX-300

Gig rig:Casio PX-5S/Roland VR-09/Spacestation V3

http://www.petty-larceny-band.com

*asshole reply*

Someday I want to be as perfect as you

You should want to get paid to be as perfect as I am, because that's the only reason I'm that perfect. :D

As perfect as the 2007 Patriots???

Hell no. Laying an egg like that would get me fired. ;)

Was dying to play Vanilla Fudge: Set Me Free Could never get it to sound right!

That's one we actually were able to get right. Really interesting when someone at the bar recognizes it as Vanilla Fudge.

There was a comment earlier about people overplaying. A former band, same one that did Vanilla Fudge, that I'm helping out this Saturday, has a guitar player that at times will not shut up. We'll be playing a groove related song like "Leave Your Hat On" or "Lovelight", and it's like he's playing lead through the entire song. Blows the groove. I've tried to comment to him about it, and damn near got my head ripped off. One of the reasons I left the band to begin with.

The band I was in right after that was the opposite. Everyone worked toward being in the pocket, and the music flowed. Many people considered us one of the best in the area for that very reason. But even with them, some songs fell flat. "Crossfire" by SRV on one. I dispised our version of it, because it was totally uncomfortable to play. "Changes" by SRV is another. Incredibly boring to play.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

Have you guys ever really liked a song, could not wait to get home to try to learn it, and then find out it is not how you thought it would go? Or you find out the key is a pain in the ass to play or just does not flow under your fingers? Its too bad sometimes because you have it in your head how you think it goes and it falls flat when you try to play it.

My last band did Use Me by Bill Withers, and man was it bad...not the keyboard part though of course. :) That song requires a singer that is super cool and soulful, and if you don't have that, you can't do that song. I said again and again that we shouldn't be doing that song, but it all fell on deaf ears.

As far as just me, I find that trying to play anything by Elvis Costello just doesn't work out too well.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

Most SRV is boring to play.
I'm glad he didn't think so. :freak:

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I really want to march into band rehearsal next week with my new MOX6 and start playing "Pretzel Logic", but somehow, I think it be be a fail...
Actually, that's an easy groove to nail. The tough part is getting the vocals right. Instead, I sing it. (I tried singing it at a KC hang once, only to find a frog in my throat. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

Good thing you didn't say "as perfect as me!" :-D Next thread, do we get a lesson on the subjunctive tense, or maybe a paean to the vanishing adverb?

One of our esteemed forumites gave me this advice long ago (paraphrased):

Pick tunes with a groove that are guaranteed to get the ladies dancing and everything else will fall into place.

There is a lot of truth to that, methinks. :idea:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I really want to march into band rehearsal next week with my new MOX6 and start playing "Pretzel Logic", but somehow, I think it be be a fail...
Actually, that's an easy groove to nail. The tough part is getting the vocals right. Instead, I sing it. (I tried singing it at a KC hang once, only to find a frog in my throat. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

:facepalm:

You must be joking, son...

(Where did you get those shoes?) :cool:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

If I never hear any SRV again, it'll be too soon
I love SRV (I did long before I moved to TX), but if I never hear any SRV wannabe guitar players again, it'll be too soon.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

- get the party started (black eyed peas)

- Outstanding (gap band) (I found, most gap band songs are hard to reproduce)

- Low Rider (war)

...more to come

My old funk band used to cover the live version of "Outstanding". I had covered the piano and horn parts.

Kronos 88 Platinum, Yamaha YC88, Subsequent 37, Korg CX3, Hydrasynth 49-key, Nord Electro 5D 73, QSC K8.2, Lester K

Me & The Boyz

Chris Beard Band

If I never hear any SRV again, it'll be too soon
I love SRV (I did long before I moved to TX), but if I never hear any SRV wannabe guitar players again, it'll be too soon.

If they are playing in the right (1/2 step flat) key and i get to pretend i'm Reese, then i don't mind playing some B3 backup.

If i'm stuck just listening to a Stevie Ray Clone, I make tracks.

FunMachine.

:facepalm:

You must be joking, son...

(Where did you get those shoes?) :cool:

:laugh:

One of our esteemed forumites gave me this advice long ago (paraphrased):

Pick tunes with a groove that are guaranteed to get the ladies dancing and everything else will fall into place.

There is a lot of truth to that, methinks. :idea:

Of course, it's even more fun when ladies dance and things fall out of place.

Periodically we'll learn a song that, although played well, just doesn't go over well with the crowd. Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Tonight was like that. I figured it'd be like a party anthem, but it cleared the dance floor. We played it well, it just didn't come off with the same energy, people just weren't into it, so we dropped it.

All in all, we've probably dropped dozens of songs for similar reasons. Some not officially. You gravitate towards the ones that work best and some inevitably fall off after a while. But some it's obvious after playing them out just a few times.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Periodically we'll learn a song that, although played well, just doesn't go over well with the crowd. Wang Chung - Everybody Have Fun Tonight was like that. I figured it'd be like a party anthem, but it cleared the dance floor. We played it well, it just didn't come off with the same energy, people just weren't into it, so we dropped it.

All in all, we've probably dropped dozens of songs for similar reasons. Some not officially. You gravitate towards the ones that work best and some inevitably fall off after a while. But some it's obvious after playing them out just a few times.

Sometimes the oppsite happens. I was in a band that added Dream On against my advice. I was sure that song would be a total drag. To my suprise it was quite popular with our crowd.

FunMachine.

Back in the days when I played in a pure cover band, we tried to play the Police' "Canary in a Coalmine". All good players and we played stuff that was much more difficult (at least on the surface.) But we could never get the groove for that one.

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

I had the exact same experience with that song, which is a shame, because I love the keyboard parts.

Archived