Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Songs that fall flat when you try to play THEM

Outkaster

Back in the days when I played in a pure cover band, we tried to play the Police' "Canary in a Coalmine". All good players and we played stuff that was much more difficult (at least on the surface.) But we could never get the groove for that one.

Did you have Stewart Copeland on drums? 'Nuff said.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
*asshole reply*

Someday I want to be as perfect as you

You should want to get paid to be as perfect as I am, because that's the only reason I'm that perfect. :D

As perfect as the 2007 Patriots???

< offensive image removed >

Dude, you've got to warn people before you post images this disturbing. :o Luckily, I knew enough to very quickly browse here:

http://eyebleach.com

I think I saved both eyes, but it was a close thing.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Pick tunes with a groove that are guaranteed to get the ladies dancing and everything else will fall into place.

REALLY hard to go wrong with that method.

It's probably why a Santana Tribute Band works as well as it does -- the congas always get the ladies dancing. Never fails.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

We worked on "Pour some sugar on me" but dropped it during rehearsal because it didn't seem right without the gated drums and the heavily processed layers upon layers of background vocals.

We probably did the world a favor.

That's where having an electric kit comes in nice. I sampled the "hey!"'s that I layer with us, plus we have 4 vocals, so it works.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

We worked on "Pour some sugar on me" but dropped it during rehearsal because it didn't seem right without the gated drums and the heavily processed layers upon layers of background vocals.

We probably did the world a favor.

That's where having an electric kit comes in nice. I sampled the "hey!"'s that I layer with us, plus we have 4 vocals, so it works.

Do you have any youtube vid's or recordings of your band's version?

Do you have any youtube vid's or recordings of your band's version?

No, maybe I'll try to get a board mix or something this weekend.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Back in the days when I played in a pure cover band, we tried to play the Police' "Canary in a Coalmine". All good players and we played stuff that was much more difficult (at least on the surface.) But we could never get the groove for that one.

Did you have Stewart Copeland on drums? 'Nuff said.

Yeah, I always thought Copeland was a monster.

It would be convenient to blame the drummer since he was my brother :cool: But I honestly always felt like it was the guitar player and I fighting each other on the back beat....and I'm guessing it was me that was the problem. While I have a good melodic and harmonic sense, my rhythm has always been suspect :blush:

Yamaha CK88, Arturia Keylab 61 MkII, Moog Sub 37, Yamaha U1 Upright, Casio CT-S500, Mac Logic/Mainstage, iPad Camelot, Spacestation V.3, QSC K10.2, JBL EON One Compact

www.stickmanor.com

There's a thin white line between fear and fury - Stickman

Most Duran Duran I find just doesn't come off. We tried 'Notorious' and 'Hungry...', and neither seemed to click into place.

In various bands, I've done Rio, hungry, is there something I should know, and this band started learning reflex, but never played it out (it was pretty tricky - we could do it if everyone was on top of their parts, but I dont think the commitment was there).

Rio used to go over really well in my past bands (this one hasn't done it) - but I played the sax solo (on a sax :cool:) which was a big part of it. This band doesn't do it, but we do hungry and it goes over well. Is there something I should know was hit or miss - the harmonies are pretty cool and are a must.

Dan

I'm more curious about songs that pack the dance floor one night and then crickets the next gig? I can't figure this out, ok ok. . .Play that Funky Music . .
Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

Archived