Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

The Release 8 OS update is available here:

SK Release 8 OS Update

Here is the Readme file:

HAMMOND SK1/2 Updator Release 8

Jan 20, 2014

Suzuki Musical Inst. Mfg. Co., Ltd

Updated Files:

- mainV1613.sys

- subV1024.sys

- sloadV1008.sys

- DSPV1008.sys

- presetV1206.sys

- presetV1207.sys

- LibAPianoPreLoad1400.sys

- LibEPianoPreLoad1200.sys

Updated Areas:

- A new parameter has been added to the Vibrato/Chorus menu entitled "MIX". This control allows the balance of Chorus/Vibrato and direct (or unaffected) sound. As Vintage mechanical Hammonds have aged, their "scanner's" effect has weakened. This has created a very distinctive characteristic much desired by Vintage Hammond aficionados. At the same time. In some Vintage Hammonds, the aging of the "scanner" has produced the exact opposite, a highly effected sound-also desired. Our Normal setting (which is what the factory tolerance was on the Original B-3) is 11V. As you rotate the value control COUNTER-CLOCKWISE (the "V" value diminishes, through "EVEN" and after that, "D" value Rises) the CHORUS sound will diminish. We recommend [D10] as a good starting point in recreating a Vintage Mechanical Hammond. As you rotate the value control CLOCKWISE, the Vibrato element deepens.

- A new parameter "VOLUME" has been added in the Drawbar - Foldback page. It controls the entire volume of the organ section at each patch. This allows better balance with the Extra Voice section.

- A new sounding mode "LAST" has been added in the Drawbar - Pedal - Mode page. It sounds last note when 2 or more keys are pressed.

- New functions "PROCHORD Open / Close" has been added in the Foot Switch "Tip". Prochord is now available for the Organ section. There are two voicings "Open Harmony" and "Closed Harmony". When the foot switch is depressed, the Prochord effect takes is applied.

- Added the new instrument "Stereo GP Pad3" in the [A.PIANO]. This is "Piano and Synth Strings".

- Added the new instrument "E.Piano FM Belly" in the [E.PIANO]. This is an "FM" Electronic Piano with pronounced "Bell" voicing.

- The message "Completed" is displayed when the Voice library or Whole file has loaded.

- The volume control of the music player has made smoother.

- Added the function that load and save a Custom Tonewheel individually.

- You may now save and load the Custom Tonewheel settings you create, or load Custom Tonewheel settings from others. There will also soon be Custom Tonewheel settings from Hammond Artists available from our website.

- Improved USB compatibility.

Looks like a "signature edition " Sk2 coming, don't see anything other than wooden end blocks on an Sk2, we'll have to wait and see

https://www.facebook.com/HammondOrganUsa

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I miss the new Leslie paramter from the Xk1c ????

Studio: Hammond XK5-XLK5,  Roland Fantom 8, Kurzweil PC3A6, Prophet 5, Moog Sub37, Neo Vent, HX3-Expander, LB Organ Grinder

Live: Yamaha CP88, Yamaha Motif Rack ES, Hammond SKX Pro, Hammond XB2-HX3,  Kurzweil PC3-61, Leslie 251, Roland SA1000, Neo Vent2

Very psyched about both the V/C depth mix control and the custom tonewheel saving/loading. Would love to see them improve the Wurly and Acoustic piano some more, and maybe add some mellotron sounds as well.

Moog The One, VV 64 EP, Wurlies 200A 140 7300, Forte 7, Mojo 61, OB-6, Prophet 6, Polaris, Hammond A100, Farfisa VIP, ,Young Chang 6', Voyager, E7 Clav, Midiboard, Linnstrument, Seaboard

I miss the new Leslie paramter from the Xk1c ????

It doesn't appear to be in the update.

Edit:

The coloration parameter isn't available in the SK update. The XK-1c can use the extra capacity available to do more digital Leslie processing because it doesn't have to process effects for the EVs. They both use the same DSP chip.

Someone hip me as to how to use new V/C mix effectively.

I think this is a tweak to taste type adjustment. Maybe someone can tweak theirs to match their own vintage Hammond and post the setting but whether or not that sounds good/right to someone else is still a judgement call.

Thanks for the heads-up JMcS... I just loaded the update with no problems. I'm looking forward to playing with the V/C mix as well as saving of some of my own custom tonewheel settings and downloading some from the website once they show up.

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

Off thread I know, but I'm guessing with that title this thread is a safe place to hide from Craig? ;):):wave:
Yamaha CP70B;Roland XP30/AXSynth/Fantom/FA76/XR;Hammond XK3C SK2; Korg Kronos 73;ProSoloist Rack+; ARP ProSoloist; Mellotron M4000D; GEM Promega2; Hohner Pianet N, Roland V-Grand,Voyager XL, RMI

Hi. Anyone hearing crackling or digital clipping on SK1 USA STANDARD - Vintage B-3?

Last week I updated my SK-1 to OS Release 7 and loaded the SK1 USA STANDARD setup voice library. What I am hearing is that using the Vintage B-3 preset, when I play two or more notes together in the top 1/2 octave of the keyboard (the highest F and G for example) I get a loud crackling sound mixed in with the notes. It sounds like "digital clipping" to me, where the D/A or some internal waveform calculation is going over its limit and clipping in a bad and loud way. This clipping stops if I disable the Overdrive effect (button), but with Overdrive enabled it still occurs, but not as much when the Overdrive is dialed down.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this a known issue? Would this possibly be due to a HW issue with the unit?

Thx.

If you reset the SK to default does the noise go away? If so, it is something in the settings in that setup file that is causing it.

Also, since Release 8 is out you might as well install it now.

Ok, I updated to OS/8 and reloaded the USA STANDARD setup and B-3 Vintage works fine now (no more hard clipping). Not sure what the problem was originally. I probably should have done a factory reset of OS/7 and then reloaded the USA STANDARD setup on top of it to see if that cleared up the issue (perhaps the USA STANDARD setup didn't load correctly the first time?).

Well, anyways, all seems to be fine now.

Thanks.

I have been experiencing that issue since way before v.8 - whenever I crank the Master EQ up too loud and combine it with Overdrive. I think you're right that it's from Just Too Much Signal Level.

I too am hoping for better Overdrive Algo's.

Hi. Anyone hearing crackling or digital clipping on SK1 USA STANDARD - Vintage B-3?

Last week I updated my SK-1 to OS Release 7 and loaded the SK1 USA STANDARD setup voice library. What I am hearing is that using the Vintage B-3 preset, when I play two or more notes together in the top 1/2 octave of the keyboard (the highest F and G for example) I get a loud crackling sound mixed in with the notes. It sounds like "digital clipping" to me, where the D/A or some internal waveform calculation is going over its limit and clipping in a bad and loud way. This clipping stops if I disable the Overdrive effect (button), but with Overdrive enabled it still occurs, but not as much when the Overdrive is dialed down.

Has anyone else encountered this? Is this a known issue? Would this possibly be due to a HW issue with the unit?

Thx.

Numa C2x, Reface YC, XK-3c, Mainstage/ReMOTE61SL, VR-09, X-50, JunoDS61, Montage 8, Karma, V-Synth, JD800, Jv80, XV-88, D-50's, TX-816, T8, Tempest, OB-6, DeepMind12, Prophet-X, SLEDGE, TS-10, MR-Rack, s70xs, B3/Leslie, Wurly, Piano, Mini-Korg, CS-2x, JP-8080, RA-50?

In Vincent Stephen-Ong's Blog he says you can load external samples in the sk1, is that true?

He must be confusing it for a Nord :cool:

Hammond: E311, Aurora Classic, SK1, XM2c

Yamaha: MOTIF XF7, MOX6, PSRA300

Kawai: MP11

KORG: SV1-76

Casio: PX5S

Alesis: Vortex

Novation: Impulse 61

AKAI: SynthStation 49, 25

Behringer: UMX610

What would be seriously cool is if Hammond gave us a basic sample editor/packager software so we could add our own samples to the SK1 just like Nord do with their sample playing keyboards.

Hammond: E311, Aurora Classic, SK1, XM2c

Yamaha: MOTIF XF7, MOX6, PSRA300

Kawai: MP11

KORG: SV1-76

Casio: PX5S

Alesis: Vortex

Novation: Impulse 61

AKAI: SynthStation 49, 25

Behringer: UMX610

I loaded Rel 8 last night without a hitch. V/C Mix is pretty nice. Trying to figure out how to save and load individual TW settings. Haven't really taken the time to dig into it yet.

Bill Zerbe

Albuquerque, NM

------------------------------------

Hammond C3, Hammond CV, Hammond SK2

Leslie 142, Leslie 760

There is now a left arrow indicator on the Custom Tonewheel menu (Pg. 87 #2). That arrow brings you to the tonewheel set menu - save, load and delete.

Cool. Thanks!

Bill Zerbe

Albuquerque, NM

------------------------------------

Hammond C3, Hammond CV, Hammond SK2

Leslie 142, Leslie 760

I've had an SK1 for a year and half and have routinely done all of the OS updates, including the last one, OS 8.

I just ordered an SK2 that should arrive at the end of next week. Assuming it's behind in its OS updates, will I have to sequentially do each OS update, or can I just update with the most recent OS 8 and it will incorporate all previous OS updates?

Gigs: Nord 5D 73, Kurz PC4-7 & SP4-7, Hammond SK1, Yamaha MX88 & P121, Numa Compact 2x, Casio CGP700, QSC K12, Yamaha DBR10, JBL515xt(2). Alto TS310(2)

You should be able to just install Rel. 8. Also, if you have setup files for your SK-1 that you like you can load them into the SK-2 as well. You might have to change a few settings afterward to account for the lower manual but all the patches etc. will be there. If you have libraries installed in the SK-1 that are needed for those patches save a Whole setup on the SK-1 and load that into the SK-2.

JMcS... As usual, many thanks for your prompt reply with the info. As has been said before, Hammond should hire you for product support.

Copied from another topic:

JMcS... You bring up an interesting related twist on your post for an Sk2 that probably belongs in the Sk1,Sk2 tips and tricks thread...

Is the Sk2 "intelligent" enough to simultaneously allocate a shallower trigger point to the upper manual for organ playing and a deeper trigger point to the lower manual piano playing?

Yes. There is a feature added in Rel. 6 that allows this - Sounding Point (Pg. 81 #25). When set to Deep both the organ and the EV triggers at the lower point. When set to Auto the organ triggers at the high point and the EV triggers at the low point unless they are layered in which case both trigger at the low point.

Edit:

With the SK-2 if the upper is organ and the lower is EV, the upper still triggers at the high point (or vice versa). With an SK-1 IIRC if a split is used both sides trigger at the low point if an EV is on.