Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

Spike, The 200 patches are split into 100 factory patches & 100 user defined patches. Initially (or upon factory reset)the user patches are copies of the factory patches.....alterable user patches U001 through U100 are identical to unalterable factory patch P001 through P100. You can select whatever you like from the 99 file capacity voice library, modify as desired, then save to a user patch location. You won't lose any sounds patches since the original user patch is still available as a factory preset patch. Pages 60-62 in the owner's manual describe how to save to a user patch location.

I haven't loaded the new sound library yet; maybe this week.

Dave

I loaded release 2 on my SK-1 today; no problems. All of my custom patches are still accessible as well as my 10 "favorites" button assignments. I assumed the process would include an automatic factory reset and clear my custom settings however that was not the case. The new extended voices are installed as noted in the update notes. This update to release 2 was a quick & easy process.

I have found some wrinkles in my update to SK12Release2:

I initially purchased a Centon 16GB USB3 (USB2 compatible) thumb drive, which the SK1 would not format. It seems to need a USB2 specific drive (1 GB or greater). No big deal.

After using an 8GB Sandisk Micro USB2 drive with the SK1 for some time (wave files, many setups, etc.) I loaded the new release into the System folder and tried to update to SK12Reaease2 - no go. I had to actually SK1 format a drive, turn off the SK1, load the SK12Release2 files into the System folder on my computer, and then do the update on the SK1.

Note that the update directions warn that the SK1 will indeed be reset, and mine was. Don't count on your settings being the same unless you reload a setup from the USB drive.

All is well with my updates.

Marty Baker

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

HELP!@! (I'm backed up, so it's not that.) I did the update, but now my SK-1 thinks it's an SK-2 (judging by the start-up splash screen phrase) - and SPLIT and Manual Bass don't work - probably related. I tried reinitializing by powering up and holding RECORD. Tried reloading my WHOLE setup. Nothing has changed this. I am now reloading the Japanese update zip file from your link, although I downloaded what appeared to be the correct release from the HammondOrgan.com Support link. HELP!

I tried reinitializing the USB (SansDisk) in the SK1 (which thinks it's an SK2.)

Another clue that it's got this identity crisis, is that instead of SET SPLIT POINT, it has LOWER to PEDAL in its place, which p108 of the Manual says is only SK2.

Numa C2x, Reface YC, XK-3c, Mainstage/ReMOTE61SL, VR-09, X-50, JunoDS61, Montage 8, Karma, V-Synth, JD800, Jv80, XV-88, D-50's, TX-816, T8, Tempest, OB-6, DeepMind12, Prophet-X, SLEDGE, TS-10, MR-Rack, s70xs, B3/Leslie, Wurly, Piano, Mini-Korg, CS-2x, JP-8080, RA-50?

Could another clue be the subV1012.sys file - which isn't mentioned in the ReadMe files - in the system folder for the update? Is that only a SK-2 file? Could that be what's brainwashed my poor SK-1 and taken away SPLIT and M/BASS ?

I don't mean to sound comic, I'm pretty frustrated by all this.

Thanks for any and all help! (even a link to a proven-to-work update .zip - though I've tried a bunch on Hammond and Suzuki sites.)

Numa C2x, Reface YC, XK-3c, Mainstage/ReMOTE61SL, VR-09, X-50, JunoDS61, Montage 8, Karma, V-Synth, JD800, Jv80, XV-88, D-50's, TX-816, T8, Tempest, OB-6, DeepMind12, Prophet-X, SLEDGE, TS-10, MR-Rack, s70xs, B3/Leslie, Wurly, Piano, Mini-Korg, CS-2x, JP-8080, RA-50?

Thanks for the suggestion, Moe. I called but they had just left for the weekend.

Another way of asking, is "Is there a deeper way of reinitializing an SK1 (so that it forgets about being an SK2) than just powering On with the RECORD button held down? (Or choosing DEFAULT...)

Thanks.

Hi guys,

When I received my new SK1 the display was showing SK2, (funny isn't it?)

So after contacting Hammond ( both USA and EU ) got the solution:

"The Instruments SK1 and SK2 are basically the same.   The model name is set by a software switch.

To get the correct setting please do as follows:

1. Switch OFF the instrument.

2. Switch ON the instrument while holding the [uPPER] and [PEDAL] of drawbar select."

As a funny note, the guys from Hammond USA wanted me to sent my unit back, seems like EU tech support are better prepared to support the SK's......

MOBI- Thank you SO Much!!!!

I must have started up with those keys pressed by mistake, sometime during my upgrade process. I am very very grateful for your solving this.

Thanks once again. Have a great weekend, Mobi.

Tommy

Hi guys,

When I received my new SK1 the display was showing SK2, (funny isn't it?)

So after contacting Hammond ( both USA and EU ) got the solution:

"The Instruments SK1 and SK2 are basically the same.   The model name is set by a software switch.

To get the correct setting please do as follows:

1. Switch OFF the instrument.

2. Switch ON the instrument while holding the [uPPER] and [PEDAL] of drawbar select."

As a funny note, the guys from Hammond USA wanted me to sent my unit back, seems like EU tech support are better prepared to support the SK's......

• 4 weeks later...

I've had my SK-1 for about a week now and am still learning about many of the features. Particularly regarding the Extra Voices. It is an impressive instrument.

I installed the ver. 2 software and it went pretty well. Either I didn't wait long enough or the 8 and 16Gb cards were too large. I found a 2Gb card and the update went quickly. When I copied the update files to the card I put all the Library files in the "Lib" folder and the program files in the "System" folder. Yesterday I tried to find some of the voices added to the new Libraries and couldn't. I copied the Library files to the System folder and reinstalled the update and they were installed properly. While the Libraries were in the Lib folder I saw them as libraries that could be loaded into the SK-1 as additional Libraries that could be accessed by the Library button.

The "Velocity Offset" parameter that has been added can be pretty useful. For those not used to whacking the keys when they play it can add some velocity to the speed the user presses the keys down. This can bring the velocity up high enough to trigger the attack harmonics and overtones more regularly and uniformly. I found I could use a lower velocity curve and get a wider range of tone from the EV's. With the Velocity Offset value turned up some I found I could just play with my fingers and didn't have to use my whole hand to put enough velocity into the key strike.

For piano players who may find it too easy to trigger the notes at full velocity too often (this may be the reason there have been comments about one of the instruments (the Wurli?) sounding too "Barky" as well), the VO parameter can be turned down so that some velocity is subtracted.

I did a lot of googling around to find the right bag since the Hammond one is so ridiculously over-priced. Most were either too big or too small but this one, Goldilocks, is just right: The Kaces Xpress 49 KB5. $40 and fits like a glove. Bought mine at the midi-store. CLONK Free shipping too. Wherever you find it, though, make sure it's the XPRESS series; Kaces makes another 49 KB5 that's a little too small. First time I've owned a Kaces. Seems pretty well-made, 3 nice sized pockets. Doesn't offer much protection. (It's a bag) I only use it locally and if I'm the only one touching it. But it keeps the weather out, makes it easy to carry, is light-weight, and gets big ups for bang for the buck.

Hammond SK1, Casio Privia PX5-S, SpaceStation V.3, Behringer B1200D, 2-EV ZxA1s

MacBook Air, Novation ReMOTE 37SL, Logic, Pianoteq 5 Stage, Scarbee Vintage Keys

The MIDI Gizmo Museum!

This may be obvious to those who regularly deal with sound libraries but I figured out that when doing the update the sound libraries in the update file package are considered System files. When I did the update I put the Libraries in the "Lib" folder and the three software files in the System folder. The System was updated properly but I didn't realize that the active libraries were the previous versions. I found this out a few days ago when I looked for a couple of the sounds that were added to the libraries in the new version. I moved the libraries to the System folder and re-installed the update and the new libraries were installed as the System libraries. While the libraries were in the "Lib" folder I could see them as available to be loaded as additional libraries.

It appears that the new version software took care of the issues I had with the USB drives as well. I've been using the 16Gb drive with no problems.

• 2 weeks later...

New SK1 OS update (release4)

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/support/downlod/sk12Release4.zip

New String Sounds (Chamber Strings)

http://www.suzuki-music.co.jp/dl/dl.php?dl=LibVL-SK005_100

HAMMOND SK1/2 Updator Release 4

Nov 29, 2011

Suzuki Musical Inst. Mfg. Co., Ltd

Updated Files:

- mainV1200.sys

- presetV1009.sys

Added Files:

- libBpianoPreLoadRel40.sys

Updated Areas:

- A new parameter, PATCH - P.LOAD - "ANI" has added to hold the state of the [LESLIE] and [VIBRATO] buttons when the Patch is selected.

- Two new instruments, "Upright Pf", "Honky Tonk Pf" has added as sub group "A.PIANO2" in the [A.PIANO] button.

- Fixed the mulfunction of MIDI - MAST REGI.

- Fixed the "Electric GP Pad".

-----------------------------------------------------------

HAMMOND SK1/2 Updator Release 3

Nov 14, 2011

Suzuki Musical Inst. Mfg. Co., Ltd

Updated Files:

- mainV1112.sys

Updated Areas:

- Adapted for reading large size of Voice Library (e.g. Chamber Strings).

- The operation of re-damper has improved.

I've been using Release 4 and the new Library for over a week now and it has been working perfectly. Release 3 had a little bug and was pulled shortly after release. This may be why Hammond US and EU are slow to post Release 4.

Release 4 also has an additional System A. Piano that loads and is coupled with the first one. It adds a few new pianos.

For those who play pedals or lhb, check the pedal through C/V setting (in the C/V menu). When the pedals go through C/V they are quite a bit louder than when they don't. I had my pedal drawbars set at ~2 - 3 and they sounded loud compared to the manuals. I took them out of the C/V and the volume dropped to what sounded normal. The new default setting is to have it off in the System setup file but in older setup files it may have been on by default.

I must buy an expression pedal to my Sk2.

Is it possible to use the same exp pedal to both NS 2 and SK2 with midi in the same live rig?

Is Exp 50 much better than yamaha fc-7 ?

NS2 88, Yamaha Cp300, Moog Little Phatty, Hammond Sk2, Roland Fantom X6, Ventilator, Nord C2D, Leslie 3300, Leslie 122

Yes, the SK2 will respond to Exp. MIDI data sent from another instrument. You just have to set the expression control parameter and make sure the MIDI in settings are correct. The easiest way is to select the appropriate MIDI template.

I don't know if the NS2 will respond to MIDI data if you want to send it in the other direction.

I just got an FC-7, thinking it would be better than my Roland EV5. It is. It has more travel and a better sweet spot. The FC-7 works ergonomically when sitting. For standing, the EV5 might be better. You have to switch settings on the SK from "normal" to "rev" when using either.

I'm thinking of getting the EXP 50 because neither pedal is really ideal as far as curve, they do not operate like a real Hammond pedal.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I'm thinking of getting the EXP 50 because neither pedal is really ideal as far as curve, they do not operate like a real Hammond pedal.

Had the chance to test the EXP50 and yeah, big difference,way smoother , just feels right compared with yamahas, roland and other pedals have tried with the SK1, the only downside the price....

The FC-7 works ergonomically when sitting. For standing, the EV5 might be better.

The FC-7 can be set up for standing playing. You unclip the top from the base, insert in a different slot, and the angle of the pedal is tilted backward to make it comfortable to use while standing. :thu:

Moe

---

I got the EXP50, and glad that I did. It behaves like a Hammond swell pedal. I was using the Roland EV5, which was not very good. Tried the FC7 and it was better, but still not quite there, so I returned it and sprung for Hammond's pedal. Is it worth spending $162 more than an FC7? Maybe not, because you can make do pretty well with an FC7. But it is significantly better.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

I posted this in another SK thread and copied it here since it is a tip.

I've had my SK-1 for close to a month now. It has worked flawlessly. With one caveat. I suggest using a USB drive no larger than 4 GB to install software updates. I've tried several different 8 and 16 Gb drives and I don't have confidence that the updates (or backdates) always finished correctly. A couple of times with the 16Gb drives either the formatting didn't seem to go correctly or the update continued long enough that I stopped it and once when it finished I had a few stuck notes after powering back on. I powered off and back on and it worked fine. Still, I reinstalled the OS using a smaller drive and it worked perfectly. Although with the 8Gb drives the update seemed to finish correctly I noticed something I couldn't duplicate so I re-installed the OS and IIRC, once the initial format in the SK-1 didn't finish. I've not had any trouble loading setup files to and retrieving them from the larger drives. I haven't tried music files in them yet.

The bottom line for me is use smaller USB drives for OS updates to be safe.