Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Keyboard stand fail

Josh Paxton

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ouch! I use X-Stands, not particularly fond of them, but I can't imagine how that could happen with the ones I use since there is a physical pin going through a hole. With weight on the stand, I can't even pull the pin out of the hole if I try. The keyboards have to be off.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

OSHA safety tip - always secure keyboards to the player with a standard guitar strap.

X-stand fail = instant keytar FTW

What if it's 2-tier?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Oh, man, that's a good one! Yeah, I use an x from time to time, too. It's videos like this one that keep me checking the pin every time I set it up.

It's happened more than once that I found the pin not quite locked, or the knob almost unscrewed (which I believe would allow the spring to eject the pin).

Thanks for the Public Service Announcement. :D

I can't imagine how that could happen with the ones I use since there is a physical pin going through a hole. With weight on the stand, I can't even pull the pin out of the hole if I try.

Same with me... never had a problem with an X stand.

My "V" stand, however, makes me cautions. Anyone ever have one of those give out?

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Sadly, been there, done that. I now use a safety strap with my X-stand, as recommended by a fellow forum member.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I can't imagine how that could happen with the ones I use since there is a physical pin going through a hole. With weight on the stand, I can't even pull the pin out of the hole if I try.

Same with me... never had a problem with an X stand.

My "V" stand, however, makes me cautions. Anyone ever have one of those give out?

I used a V before ever using an X. Used an Apex before that. Pin came out of one leg of the V, and lost it. Used a screwdriver and duck tape for a while before going to the X. Still have the broken V with 2nd tier and boom stand....make me an offer!

Dan

After reading all the posts in the "Dreaded X Stand" thread,I decided safety straps were in order for my X stands. If you're looking for material to make a safety strap for your X,a good place online to get woven strap,buckles,keepers,etc.is strapworks.com. I went with one inch woven poly strap,black,of course. It will keep the stand upright with the locking pin totally disengaged and my full weight bouncing up and down on the lower tier bars. I got enough materials to outfit four stands for about twenty bucks. The poster who told of the locking pin shearing on his stand really sold me on the idea of a redundant locking system.

I've been using a Proline quick release two tier double X stand, with two keyboards for about 6 or 7 years, with no problems. It has the quick release lever that actuates a pin into a selectable slot, that make the height adjustable. The only precaution is to make sure the pin actually clicks into the slot before putting any weight on it.

Just like anything, there are cheap, poorly constructed x stands, and there are better (more expensive) x stands.

As a person who has never had an X or any other stand fail, I am curious: Can the X stands fail even if properly assembled?

Using one with a light 'board in the home is usually okay, but for gigging, no way. All stands wear out in time, and X-stands are the flimsiest, most unreliable design.

The kind where the height is determined with a pin at the joint (example: Quik Lok QLX-11) can indeed fail if there's too much weight on them (which includes the pressure put on it by playing the 'board), especially if it's a single-brace.

The auto-latching kind are a little more reliable, but not much, since the mechanism can wear out with lots of use (i.e. constant setup and teardown

).

The ones with the two discs and interlocking teeth are WAY more reliable, like the Ultimate IQ-3000.

Besides, the problems of feet-irrecoverable scooting pedals and shin injuries are endemic to the X-stand design. Save yourself a lot of heartache and get a Z-stand.

....If you're looking for material to make a safety strap for your X,a good place online to get woven strap,buckles,keepers,etc.is strapworks.com.....

I opted for something a little more heavy-duty. Went to the hardware store and found a strap designed to secure luggage or a small boat/canoe to the roof of a car!

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

- George Bernard Shaw

I used a quik lock 2 tier keyboard stand for about 12 years. About a year ago some drunk woman fell, crashed into our lights which fell onto my stand and broke the arm. one of my keyboards landed in my lap. I decided to purchase another quik lock since the first one serviced me so well. 1 year of moderate use later one of the screws which holds up the 2nd tier is starting to strip out. I have to clamp the arm to ensure it remains firmly in place. Moral of this story: if you value your musical equipment don't buy a quik lock 2 tier stand; the new ones appear to be cheaply made.

57 Hammond B3; 69 Hammond L100P; 68 Leslie 122; Kurzweil Forte7 & PC3; M-Audio Code 61; Voce V5+; Neo Vent; EV ELX112P; GSI Gemini & Burn

Delaware Dave

Exit93band

I bought this X-Stand in 1998. I can't count the number of gigs and rehearsal I've done with it since (over 1200).

I've NEVER have it "fail" on me. EVER! Obviously, if you buy cheap single braces stands or even many of the double-braced stands I could see how they don't feel secure.

Try out the Ultimate (IQ-3000 not 2000) in a store. You'll just feel the difference. That stand is solid as a rock.

BTW, I still own it and still use it on occasion for quick rehearsal setups or to support my racks which are heavier than my keyboard.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I have been using an X stand for years, and came up with the idea to use a strap after watching a video on this forum of one falling apart. The issue as I see it, is that X stands have one point of failure, the middle. If the middle fails, then bye-bye stand. Now, if you put a tight strap across the top (or bottom) then if the middle fails, the stand will not fall. Unless of course the two sections of the stand actually come apart at the middle. Not sure how likely that is... However if you are concerned about that, putting a strap across the top AND the bottom will alleviate that issue. In fact with two straps configured that way, you technically don't even need to engage the pin in the middle (I DON'T RECOMMEND THIS THOUGH).

I started off by using an adjustable backpack strap, and now I use a strap designed to keep tent trailer awnings secure on windy days.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

http://www.hotrodmotm.com/images/ironingboard.jpg

http://www.cpapc.com/images/TA00086.jpg

:snax:

You know, I don't really get how these comparisons are supposed to be derogatory. I mean, posting these pictures only proves that this design is versatile and effective as a stand for setting flat things on top of them. ;)

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

You know, I don't really get how these comparisons are supposed to be derogatory. I mean, posting these pictures only proves that this design is versatile and effective as a stand for setting flat things on top of them. ;)

:thu:

When an eel hits your eye like a big pizza pie, that's a Moray.

Anyone here ever seen a Z-stand ironing board?

I rest my case.

Here for the gear.

:D To be fair, I should mention that now that I am playing a heavier-weighted keyboard and adjusted my playing accordingly, the X stand rocks back and forth pretty pendulously sometimes, LOL. When I'm playing montunos or any other two-fisted aggressive rhythmic figure, it gets pretty rockin'. Still, mine's a light-duty stand ... not all X stands are created equal and I am willing to bet my issue is because my stand is light. I will be replacing my stand, and I will be going to a tabletop stand but for multiple reasons ... fortunately none of them are failure of an X stand.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

"I am not certain how original my contribution to music is as I am obviously an amateur." Patti Smith

I wish the OP's video ran a bit longer. It appears that the band's original reaction was to stop playing and stare in wonderment. I get the sense that they had seen that happen before.
"I never knew that music like that was possible." - Mozart ( Amadeus movie)

:D To be fair, I should mention that now that I am playing a heavier-weighted keyboard and adjusted my playing accordingly, the X stand rocks back and forth pretty pendulously sometimes, LOL. When I'm playing montunos or any other two-fisted aggressive rhythmic figure, it gets pretty rockin'. Still, mine's a light-duty stand ... not all X stands are created equal and I am willing to bet my issue is because my stand is light. I will be replacing my stand, and I will be going to a tabletop stand but for multiple reasons ... fortunately none of them are failure of an X stand.

Hey Michelle - QwikLok WS550 is the only way to go!

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

Yeah, I was looking at that one, but it seems pretty heavy ...still, I need something that adjusts pretty low (below 26") for sitting, and these stands seem to be the only quick-setup ones that do.

Anyone have comments on QuikLok vs. OnStage stands? Really that much of a quality difference?

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

Like this Quik Lok. I have 2 of them. It comes with and without the 2nd tier. Only problem is the lowest position is 26.2" which is a little high for me. I compensated by buying a bench with more height adjustment so I now sit a little taller.

I can pickup up my Kawai slab and walk straight forward though the stand to my roadcase. I like that. The feet area is completely open and it is a single piece no set assembly needed the legs just swing out.

But at it's lowest setting I find it to be a hair too tall but I found a work around.

http://www.quiklok.com/catalog/?p=productsMore&iProduct=75&sName=M-92

http://www.musicgearreview.com/dbpix/monolith.jpg

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

Yeah, too tall ... I'm only 4'11" so I can only jack a bench up so high and still be ergonomically OK. I had a Z stand once and don't like the design in general, so that's out too ... plus the Z's I've seen have too high a fixed height.

Thanks for the input, Tony. Too bad, I haven't been able to locate any other brand of tabletop stand besides OnStage. I would like to find one that has a low enough height.

Original Latin Jazz

CD Baby

I really like my K&M 18880 stand - it goes down to 24"

http://www.musicstandsalone.com/product/MA-18880-000-55

Note - the 15 pound weight shown is SHIPPING weight in the box, the stand itself weighs about half what my Electro 3 weighs. I also have the 18881 second tier, usually have the Electro on top and a PC3 on bottom.

It was expensive, but very well made from aircraft grade aluminum, very good welding.

I have a couple of the OnStage platform stands, the K&M weighs about 1/4 of what they weigh. The two tier OnStage Z stand is very strong, but even heavier (I have 3 of them - great in the studio and at church, too bulky and heavy for gigging).

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Archived