Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SOT: Ending Gimme Some Lovin'

Garrafon

Our drummer wants to do Gimme Some Lovin. No problem, it's a pretty straight forward and easy tune. We have been trying to decide how to end the song. Most of the endings we have found on YouTube etc have been not my cup of tea (even excluding the many fade outs, which is about 98% of the endings out there). One band member suggested that we not end it, but go into another song. But we were having troubles coming up with a song with a similar feel that we can make a nice segue into. Any thoughts or suggestions?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
why not end it like it starts, one measure, except omit the chord on beat 4? No stinger , IOW.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

Go back to the 'So Glad you made it, 'So Glad you made it', part.

But instead sing Like a true nature's child, We were born, born to be wild, We can climb so high , I never wanna die. Then kickoff BTBW from the head.

I've played BTBW so much I got sort of sick of it but the transition works. :laugh:

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

why not end it like it starts, one measure, except omit the chord on beat 4? No stinger , IOW.

I like this. We always ended it WITH the stinger and it sounded lame.

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Go back to the 'So Glad you made it, 'So Glad you made it', part.

But instead sing Like a true nature's child, We were born, born to be wild, We can climb so high , I never wanna die. Then kickoff BTBW from the head.

I've played BTBW so much I got sort of sick of it but the transition works. :laugh:

As I sit here, it is a similar chord progression isnt it? Interesting...I might have to play with that a bit.

Played this for many years in cover bands, ending this way. Audience likes it.

Side note: no one should play this song unless they have a teenage Steve Winwood as a lead singer. Great song; bad cover.

I like this. We always ended it WITH the stinger and it sounded lame.

That is a very logical and workable ending for sure, and we may very well end up with it, but I was hoping for something a little more different and exciting....

As for the suggestion on "Im A Man", we decided not to do that song as we thought it might get a litle boring to play, esp if also doing Gimme Some Lovin,

Thank you all for the suggestions! It is much appreciated.

My band segues from this tune into "Soul Man" (same key) for a nice little Blues Brothers medley!

'57 Hammond B-3, '60 Hammond A100, Leslie 251, Leslie 330, Leslie 770, Leslie 145, Hammond PR-40

Trek II UC-1A

Alesis QSR

I think the best ending is from Welcome to the Canteen live album

You need to hear it. As I recall it kind of has a rim shot followed by a hot guitar lick done 2-3 times. Something a bit different.

regards,

Go into that (when played in G) G-Bb-C-Eb part as many times as necessary and end it on a big epic G chord.

Another option is to use a Gospel-flavoured ending like the one on Grand Funk's Footstomping Music. Or even better: play a medley of the two songs :D

My drawbars go to eleven.

Gear: Roland VR-09, Nord Electro 2 61, Korg CX-3. Hear my music: facebook.com/smokestoneband

medley with I'm a Man? tempos are a little different but not drastically.

We actually did it the other way around.. Start with I'm a Man then go into Lovin'... then back into I'm a Man... Pretty cool...

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I've been playing and singing this song forever it seems. The ending I try to talk the band into is going into a hard stop on the 1 after "Every Day" - then after a short drum riff repeat the chorus, ending once again on "Every Day" but holding the chord out until either I or the drummer cuts it.

I sang this for years in G but lately it's been "Take it down 1 guys". ;)

Lots of good suggestions. Thanks again.

I forgot about Welcome to the Canteen. Good album! That's precisely the problem with mp3s etc taking over the world...I sometimes forget about all my CDs sitting in a box in the basement.

We may end up with this ending, but I'm thinking a soul man segue could be fun/interesting...especially if people are up and dancing, it may keep them up and dancing.

yup My Sharona. And another way to get into Born to Be Wild is to use the turnaround drum lick at the head
"The Doomer allows the player to do things beyond which are possible without the accessory."

I saw the Grateful Dead perform Gimme Some Lovin' several times, including the first time they broke it out (at Berkeley Community Theater in 1984). Being the Dead, they usually (always?) segued into another song (or the famous "rhythm devils" two-man drums/percussion improvisation). This video cuts just before whatever the next song was, so it doesn't address the OP's question, but it does have some great footage of the late Brent Mydland on B3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHDId96yVPM

Deadheads being who they are, the complete list of shows where the Dead played this song, and links to recordings of the corresponding shows, may be found at:

http://www.setlists.net/?songs=gimme+some+lovin

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

My band loops the "gimme some lovin'" ending part for a while, the whole band abruptly stops and the singer sings solo "please, give me some lovin'... *I smear/growl the hammond from bottom up*... tonight". And the whole band kicks in at "tonight".

I don't think I explained it very well :D

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

My band loops the "gimme some lovin'" ending part for a while, the whole band abruptly stops and the singer sings solo "please, give me some lovin'... *I smear/growl the hammond from bottom up*... tonight". And the whole band kicks in at "tonight".

I get it. But somehow I'm left with an image of your wives and girlfriends in the crowd rolling their eyes and making barfing noises whenever you do it. ;)

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I get it. But somehow I'm left with an image of your wives and girlfriends in the crowd rolling their eyes and making barfing noises whenever you do it. ;)

I suppose rock gigs always contain a bit of elements wives and gfs wouldn't aprove. Maybe not every time, but from time to time certainly.

But my wife doesn't attend my gigs! ;)

Custom handmade clocks: www.etsy.com/shop/ClockLight

Archived