Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

gryphon

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'M THE GOD OF VELVEETA - BAY BEEEEE

Yeah. I have to play it from time to time. I also gig as a drummer, and they give me a solo. I get a lot of drum gigs now that so many gigs are classic rock with the bare minimum Guitar/ Bass / Drums.

I'VE A GOT A LIBIDO ... HONEY

(enough)

Sure, I was in a '60s tribute band and we played it just about every show. We skipped the drum solo. I took a nice organ solo... played the first 8 measures note-for-note, then had fun with it from there. Usually I played it on my NE2, although I would sometimes use my laptop with B4 to get a more authentic Vox sound. For a couple gigs, I actually hauled out my Super Continental. That was a blast.

The tune always went over well, especially if it was toward the end of the evening and the crowd was liquored up.

I played it a bunch. Great set filler. We usually did a truncated drum/keyboard solo and my approach was much like keyman 27--cop the opening of the solo, take off a bit, and come back for the God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen section back into the head. Huge fun.

K.

Yeah I've played it with my band; particularly after we'd get requests for it. Always loved it; been playing it since 1970 in some fashion. Loved Doug Engle's harmonies during the spacier parts of the song. And like Moe those baroque/classical bits he'd throw in. Classic!

"The devil take the poets who dare to sing the pleasures of an artist's life." - Gottschalk

Soundcloud

Aethellis

I don't think I ever listened to any of the other songs on that album until I bought an anniversary CD copy a few years ago.

If you had, you probably would have also been playing Are You Happy, another good Vox song and an underrated track.

I don't think I ever listened to any of the other songs on that album until I bought an anniversary CD copy a few years ago.

If you had, you probably would have also been playing Are You Happy, another good Vox song and an underrated track.

Listening to this song now I'd say it's too bad that IB never thought of hiring a vocalist. Doug Ingle was perfect for In a gadda da vida. I'm wondering if a vocalist might of propelled them to a another level.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElU6OJfX760

AvantGrand N2 | ES520 | Gallien-Krueger MK & MP | https://soundcloud.com/pete36251

Still love that song and still have my Vox Connie. I was in an R&B band and since I played left hand bass I could drive the band in interesting directions. One time, I modulated from another song into DaVida and everybody picked it up right away. Drummer knew the solo and had nailed it. The audience loved it and it became a staple ever since.

Once at a frat party in the late 60's, the biggest brother in the frat decided he wanted to hear Inna-Gadda-da-Vida for one whole set. We, in the band were in high school and there was nobody in the frat who wanted to argue with "Big Al." There was a time I once sort of liked the tune..I won't lie..after that, three drum solos and four organ solos later, I never wanted to hear it again.

The original album cut was comical to me - it was like after they did a couple choruses, they got so high they forgot the tape was still running, and they made a bunch of farting noises with their instruments for 14 minutes or so. Then the producer knocks on the window and says "uh, guys, can we finish the song?" and they jump back into the finale... :D

There was a lot of great experimentation in that era.........
Gear, Hammond XK3,Ventilator,Roland Piano use mixer with two self powered speakers.Favorite artists Jimmy Smith,Brian Auger,Kieth Emerson,Herbie Hancock,John Novello to name a few.Play most styles

There are those of you who commented that In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida is good set filler.

Boy...you guys must be playing for a totally different crowd than I am.

I guarantee that if we played that song, it would go over like a fart in a crowded elevator.

I was just a beginner guitarist when friends of mine played it rock bands back in 1969 or so, when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

I still sort of like it, especially the Bach inspired keyboard parts.

The joke name we had for it was "In A Grody Vanilla" - coined by a friend who said that the song was "greasy".

I was in high school when that came out and actually found a pretty good transcription of the intro in the public library which was freakishly unusual in those days. It was the first time I ever ran across the term "cadenza".

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

I've tried but failed to find a youTube excerpt from The Simpsons where Bart slips the sheet music for In-a-gadda-da-vida onto the the music rest of the church organ during Sunday Service. The Dear Little Old Lady battles through it, eyes squinted in fearce concentration, before collapsing exhausted onto the keyboard. Classic.
"I'm well acquainted with the touch of a velvet hand..."

"This sounds like rock and/or roll!"

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've tried but failed to find a youTube excerpt from The Simpsons where Bart slips the sheet music for In-a-gadda-da-vida onto the the music rest of the church organ during Sunday Service. The Dear Little Old Lady battles through it, eyes squinted in fearce concentration, before collapsing exhausted onto the keyboard. Classic.

See Dave Weiser's post (sixth post in this thread ;) )

I created a distorted Vox style preset for the PC3, using KB3 mode, but with saw waves instead of sine waves. Named it "Indagardenoveden" in tribute to Bart.

Had a blast rockin' out playing along with the recording!

:thu:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Archived