Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Vintage Vibe

dazzjazz

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes!~ I played then at NAMM several times.

The keys felt great. I have often thought the original Wurli action was a bit shallow, so it seems that they modified that a bit.

The sound was slightly differnt too but in a good way. There wasn't quite the same honk as a Wurli, it wa perhaps a bit sweeter. The lower notes seemed fatter somehow. It's hard to describe , but there was a differnce.

Would I buy one for 2800 dollars. Probably not. I am not that obsessed with analog vs. digital.Plus I have a good Wurli 200 already. If I was a rock star who has to have everything, maybe.

It's a great offering though and they have all my respect for pulling this off.

A little bit maybe. But of course it was leaning more toward Wurlie. They were set up right next to the new Rhodes at NAMM, and directly across from Hammond Suzuki.

The lower notes didn't honk out as hard on the Vintage Vibe as on a a stock Wurli. The tones were possibly a bit more useful throughout the entire range of the keyboard. It was very musical and impressive. And the price - double that of a good use Wurli - reflects all this I suppose.

A little bit maybe. But of course it was leaning more toward Wurlie. They were set up right next to the new Rhodes at NAMM, and directly across from Hammond Suzuki.

The lower notes didn't honk out as hard on the Vintage Vibe as on a a stock Wurli. The tones were possibly a bit more useful throughout the entire range of the keyboard. It was very musical and impressive. And the price - double that of a good use Wurli - reflects all this I suppose.

I thought the vintage vibe EPs were tine pianos not reed pianos?

-Greg

Motif XS8, MOXF8, Hammond XK1c, Vent

Rhodes Mark II 88 suitcase, Yamaha P255

Very cool. I'd like to play one before considering whether to buy, but even just watching someone hit a few chords on video conveys a crisp and dynamic action, and it sounds fabulous. Hmmm, that money I've been stashing away for a Stage 2 might be up for grabs now.

Gigging: Crumar Mojo 61, Hammond SKPro

Home: Vintage Vibe 64

tune in to Letterman tonight on CBS to see a Bright Eyes performance featuring a Vintage Vibe piano!

Original tweet

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

You know I bet you start seeing this things a lot more on TV and at larger shows. As a stage prop, more or less. I'm talking about those singers who accompany themselves with a few chords. A digital keyboard just doesn't present the right image. I've seen Wurlies used in that way.

The video is one of Vintage Vibes rebuilds of a 1996 Sparkletop. That chrome plate and the sparkletop just can't be beat.

[video:youtube]

I'm really interested in how they got the weight down so much. Rhodes spent a ton of time/effort getting the Mark V down to 100 lbs. The new Rhodes shaves a little off that, but these guys have a 73 down to ~60 lbs. That's very impressive.

BTW, the real price for the 64 with legs, pedal and stereo vibrato is $3355 and $3455 for the 73.

Busch.

I played one at NAMM and really liked it. It was very expressive and sounded great.

'55 and '59 B3's; Leslies 147, 122, 21H; MODX 7+; NUMA Piano X 88; Motif XS7; Mellotrons M300 and M400’s; Wurlitzer 206; Gibson G101; Vox Continental; Mojo 61; Launchkey 88 Mk III; Korg Module; B3X; Model D6; Moog Model D

I jammed on one at the NAMM.

Great Rhodes sound!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench; a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. ............ There's also a negative side"

I played a couple of them at NAMM too and I liked it a lot. The action felt fast, perhaps a little loose, and a lot of fun. I'd love to have one. I preferred the way the Vintage Vibe played over Rhodes-branded Rhodes pianos next door.

From the looks I thought it was a Wurly copy too, but before I started to play it one of the owners told me that no it was their version of a tine piano, not a Wurly.

Then I played it and was impressed. Rhodes sounding, but a bit different. The keys seems a bit smaller than a normal rhodes, but although it looks heavy, it is really light and portable. It is a nice piece of kit.

Kurzweil PC3x, Nord Electro 3, Nord C-1, Casio Privia PX-3, Yamaha DX-7, Korg Polysix, Moog Taurus 3, Yamaha Motif XS (rack),Ventilator, QSC K12, K10

They seem like a pretty hip company. Check out this Wurlitzer 120 they restored (see the YouTube page for the full description of what they did!).

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• 1 month later...

I saw this video from the Vintage Vibe stall at NAMM. I've heard nothing but good things about action as well as sound regarding the Vintage Vibe, so I was quite surprised to see a key that remained depressed until the sustain pedal was lifted - check bottom C at 1.15. Is this a problem that can sometimes occur on even the best Rhodes, or does this imply action problems?

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, I keep hoping that one will pop up used, but it might be a while for that...

I was just thinking how I have three rhodes at home (a 73 and two 54's), one of which is too heavy for me to gig with, and the other two are still darn heavy and about the minimum range. All three are great instruments, but the thought of putting all three + some cash toward one full-range board that I could gig is starting to sound appealing :)

Archived