Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Black music and White people

zephonic

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I guess I am not whiteits news to me. If you saw me dance, you would swear I was white.

But I can unequivocally say that

1: I would much rather watch TV than listen to jazz;

2: I dont like wine;

3: Ive never worn a fedoraor a porkpie hat;

4: Ive seen The Wackness, but this article is more wackness than that movie.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

That article is racist.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

The article is much too simple. The great divergence was Rap and the divergence is between musicians and DJs and dance audiences.

Musicians don't play rap. They don't got to school to play rap. They play Reggae, Jazz, Gospel, Blues, Country, Funk, and Folk and just about anything but rap.

What's more the classic canon for those genres are based on pre-1982 recordings.

The article is much too simple. The great divergence was Rap and the divergence is between musicians and DJs and dance audiences.

Musicians don't play rap. They don't got to school to play rap. They play Reggae, Jazz, Gospel, Blues, Country, Funk, and Folk and just about anything but rap.

What's more the classic canon for those genres are based on pre-1982 recordings.

I've played hip-hop gigs. Guess I'm not a musician...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I'll let you know the next time I see the local music schools like HARTT have a rap/hip hop night for their jazz heavy instructed students to stretch their chops.

Martin Medeski Woods type of experimentation? Hip hop and samples and collage as backing tracks? Another story entirely.

I hope Im pointing out the obvious: this is just an Onion-wanna-be story, written by an Onion-wanna-be writer. Right? I mean, a website titled Stuff White People Like???? Really?!!!
Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Musicians don't play rap.

Oh man, guess I'm not a musician anymore. Damn. I'll let Dr. Dre know he's not one either. And for some reason, they put ?uestlove of the Roots on the cover of a drumming magazine recently... he's obviously not a musician!

Thanks for the clarification, Rich & White Guy. :rolleyes:

I don't think that article is trying to be funny. It has a damn serious tone to my ears. And while some of its historic bases are true, it's so full of cliches and stereotyped thinking to result idiotic. Jazz, whisky and fireplaces? Yeah, sure. And the French stink, Scots are stingy, Italians are noisy, and the Dutch are, um, strange. :D How many cliches can you stuff into one paragraph?

Stupidity can kill.

Disco was white people trying to play funk.

Rock-n-roll was white people trying to play rhythm-n-blues.

Pop music was white people trying to play soul.

I'm white and I'm always tracing back genres. It always end at a music style that was not started by white people.

I take a color blind approach. I look for the feel, not the skin color.

Thus endeth the self-deprecating soapbox.

So is rap black people trying to do poetry?

Whups, there's the phone, gotta go! :laugh:

Botch

In Wine there is Wisdom

In Beer there is Freedom

In Water there is bacteria

I've played hip-hop gigs. Guess I'm not a musician...

Me too! Also, most of my studio session work has been for hip-hop artists.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Is it time for the always inappropriate riffing of black stereotypes on "I Wanna Be Black" by Lou Reed?

"Don't want to be a fucked up middle class college student no more....I wanna be black, have natural rhythm and shoot 10 feet of jizm like Malcolm X and curse the Jews and Kennedy too"

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kUVk2Otrnw

As someone pointed out the article is almost wanna be Onion stuff and smells like 30 year old parody of white musicians.

Dude, you packed more completely wrong information in those three sentence than I can possibly begin to approach....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Whoa, I just thought it was funny, and I recognized [ahem] bits of myself in there. I figure it should not be taken too seriously.

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

:D... Yup. I already said this.

But it bearz repeating.

http://www.oneinchpunch.net/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/12/karate-bears.jpg

bearz... Aha :)

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I'm white and I'm always tracing back genres. It always end at a music style that was not started by white people.

Try tracing:

Bluegrass

Polka

Classical Music

Klezmer

Celtic

Country & Western

Folk

Opera

Chinese Opera

Han (Chinese Folk)

Oh you mean your white and trace back American genres! Every ethnic group has its own original music. Blacks have contributed to American music, because they are American and contributed to its culture! That's why we are a 'melting pot'!

Boards: Kurzweil SP-6, Roland FA-08, VR-09, DeepMind 12

Modules: Korg Radias, Roland D-05, Bk7-m & Sonic Cell

Archived