Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Five Guys

Dave Bryce

In Southern Cal. my all time favorite is Burger Barn in Camarillo, their Ortega burger is incredible, it will turn vegetarians back into meat-loving carnivores! (dB you have GOT to try this place, my treat, you name the date!)

Thanks, brother Dan! I'm going on a quick tour of Northern Asia next week, but when I get back, I'm in.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Love poutines. Quick story. When I was about 13 I went on a school field trip to Quebec city. I was one of very few kids who spoke french on the trip and I wanted to show off a bit. So I went to order a poutine, and did the whole thing in french. However I pronounced it wrong. I ordered a putain. For those of you that speak french, you are probably laughing right now, imagining the look I got. For those that don't speak french, a putain is a slang french swear word that translates loosely to hooker.

LOL Phred! At the last Francophone Youth Parliament of Alberta (PJA), we passed a law on poutine. That's right. We are fed up with people passing off grated mozza as ok. If this actually happened, there would be a poutine patrol controlling the quality of fries, gravy and cheese curds, plus fines and sanctions for those who do not comply.

As for vegetarianism, I don't really miss meat at all. My mom's a great cook and, seeing as she isn't too hot on meat and two of my brothers were already vegetarians, the transition was a no-brainer for me. Substitutes abound and they don't taste like sawdust as some people remember from the seventies. I eat pretty healthily, I'd say and I feel like I'm in pretty good shape. As I said, my transition was very gradual, so I can't say I really noticed a physiological change. However, it is pretty easy to do. I can tell you that I was the biggest meat fanboy ever for a long time, though. Believe me, I was all-meat, all the time. The first time I ate ribs, I ended up finishing them later that night, even though they were cold (I was camping). So you can tell it's not that long as you're eating quality stuff. My brother is vegan and kind of swings between garbage and fantastic food. To tell you the truth, my biggest moments of weakness come when I've got the munchies. Oh boy. It can be tough. But I always survive.

Sorry guys, I just realized I've made three Simpsons jokes in this one thread. I won't say something else here you may expect, but I will :facepalm:

(But hey, I did get some of you thinking I was a Level 5 Vegan! :D )

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Sorry guys, I just realized I've made three Simpsons jokes in this one thread. I won't say something else here you may expect, but I will :facepalm:

(But hey, I did get some of you thinking I was a Level 5 Vegan! :D )

I see your Simpsons and raise you a Notting Hill:

Keziah: No thanks, I'm a fruitarian.

Max: I didn't realize that.

William: And, ahm: what exactly is a fruitarian?

Keziah: We believe that fruits and vegetables have feeling so we think cooking is cruel. We only eat things that have actually fallen off a tree or bush - that are, in fact, dead already.

William: Right. Right. Interesting stuff. So, these carrots...

Keziah: Have been murdered, yes.

William: Murdered? Poor carrots. How beastly!

In Southern Cal. my all time favorite is Burger Barn in Camarillo, their Ortega burger is incredible, it will turn vegetarians back into meat-loving carnivores! (dB you have GOT to try this place, my treat, you name the date!) In & Out and Five guys are tied for second (I love In & Out fries "animal-style") In Wisconsin, I go for Culvers Butter-burgers and Kopps burgers every chance I get.
Culver's has expanded pretty far out of Wisconsin now. GREAT burger :thu:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Back on topic - I tried the 5 guys in Charlottesville, and it was a pretty solid burger with tasty fries.

We got two here locally - one in Madison Heights, which was terrible, and went out of business quickly, the other on the south side of L-burg, which is mediocre, and I haven't been there in a year or more because I just wasn't very impressed.

Chain restaurants come here to die. The chains are never as good here as in other cities, and we have a TON of them, so the representative sample is huge - O'Charley's, Logan's, Applebees, Outback, TGI Friday's, the list goes on and on, and they are all inferior to versions I've visited in metro areas like DC, Richmond, etc.

I can't decide if it's shitty workers with shitty work ethics, or shitty management with no clue how to handle quality control. Probably a combination of both, to be honest.

Back on topic -

The burger is irrelevant unless ya know what to put on it:

1. Mustard, and lots of it. That's right, mustard.

2. Lot's O' onions. And then more.

3. A little Catsup.

4. A touch of tabasco sauce. Not the insanity kind, just enough for a kick.

5. One slice of tomato.

6. Cheddar, baby, cheddar.

What to avoid:

1.Lettuce or anything "healthy". Lettuce on a burger is like giving a towel to a Playboy playmate. :laugh: A little chopped up lettuce is ok if used sparingly.

2. Pickles. They are pure evil. :laugh:

Back on topic -

Epic, serious fail. Mustard is for pastrami, ham and hot dogs, not for burgers. :eek::facepalm::poke:

What to avoid:

1.Lettuce or anything "healthy".

But tomatoes are okay? :confused::D

A little chopped up lettuce is ok if used sparingly.

Win.

I actually like pickles, but nowhere near burgers.

My way - shredded lettuce (easy), grilled onions, bacon, cheese, light mayo and ketchup. I also love the Western burger - BBQ sauce, cheddar, bacon and an onion ring. :love:

dB

Epic, serious fail. Mustard is for pastrami, ham and hot dogs, not for burgers. :eek:

You West-coasters are nuttin but a bunch of granola-eating SISSIES! :laugh: Mustard goes on EVERYTHING. :laugh: Soup, ice cream, fruit, peanut butter and jelly, it's God's perfect condiment. :D

Epic, serious fail. Mustard is for pastrami, ham and hot dogs, not for burgers. :eek:

You West-coasters are nuttin but a bunch of granola-eating SISSIES! :laugh:

Dude...I'm from Philly... :idea::poke:

...but yes, I do think good granola rawks. :rawk:

Mustard goes on EVERYTHING. :laugh: Soup, ice cream, fruit, peanut butter and jelly, it's God's perfect condiment. :D

Don't forget breakfast cereal... :D

You'd probably put mustard on a cheesesteak right? Yeeesh. :eek::rolleyes::facepalm:

dB

You'd probably put mustard on a cheesesteak right? Yeeesh. :eek::rolleyes::facepalm:

dB

The golden rule: if it was once alive, you put mustard on it. :rawk:

Actually, my bigger crime is tabasco or crushed red peppers. I go through it like it's water. I learned the art of hot sauce while livin in New Orleans.

Back on topic -

2. Lot's O' onions. And then more.

3. A little Catsup.

4. A touch of tabasco sauce. Not the insanity kind, just enough for a kick.

5. One slice of tomato.

6. Cheddar, baby, cheddar.

What to avoid:

1.Lettuce or anything "healthy". Lettuce on a burger is like giving a towel to a Playboy playmate. :laugh: A little chopped up lettuce is ok if used sparingly.

Mustard on a burger is verboten in New York. I've heard that New York is the only place in the country where McDonald's burgers don't come with mustard.

Personally, I'm a purist. All I like on my burger is cheese (either cheddar or american) and ketchup. Period. And the better the burger is, the less need there should be for anything else!

I agree you with you... never lettuce or pickle. I'd also say never tomato.

On occasion, I'll add a little mayonnaise, though.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

Tomato? Most fast-food tomatoes are awful. Flavorless, under ripe, worthless. I'm all for a slice of nicely ripe, in season beefsteak tomato on a burger. And a single leaf of lettuce, ketchup, grilled onions if available. Pickle on the side.

No mustard on a burger. In fact, no mustard on anything ever if your idea of mustard is bright yellow, mostly turmeric French's or equivalent.

The most overlooked part of burger construction is the roll. Needs enough texture and flavor to be good enough to eat plain but not so much as to play "scene stealer" to the burger. Should to be thick enough for pleasing bread-burger-bread proportion. White bread package of 8 supermarket rolls need not apply but whole grain is equally wrong here.

Tomato? Most fast-food tomatoes are awful. Flavorless, under ripe, worthless. I'm all for a slice of nicely ripe, in season beefsteak tomato on a burger. And a single leaf of lettuce, ketchup, grilled onions if available. Pickle on the side.

I don't like tomatoes or lettuce or pickle, on a burger or off.

However, I agree with you about the importance of the bun. That's another reason I like Fuddrucker's... the buns are fresh-baked on site.

Maybe this is the best place for a shameless plug! Our now not-so-new new video at https://youtu.be/3ZRC3b4p4EI is a 40 minute adaptation of T. S. Eliot's "Prufrock" - check it out! And hopefully I'll have something new here this year. ;-)

I don't like tomatoes or lettuce or pickle, on a burger or off.

However, I agree with you about the importance of the bun. That's another reason I like Fuddrucker's... the buns are fresh-baked on site.

Boy, you guys would really disappoint Jimmy Buffet (whose restaurants also make a pretty good burger). Pickles were born to live on a burger.

Dijon mustard, real mayo, lettuce, tomatoes, avocados, hummus, guacamole, onions of all colours, several different cheeses, and anything else that's good in the fridge. That's just at home, but I like to experiment. However, I don't like ketchup that much.

You forgot olives (but you did include Bleu cheese, sort of). :love:

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Why are pickles considered evil by some people? Is it because the cucumber had to give up its life before its time? Maybe it was just fulfilling its destiny.

They say, "animals have feelings, too" but no one seems to care about vegetable feelings.

But after all, "this is the dawning of the Age of Asparagus".

Hey, pickles and I are close. We go way back to my childhood when my mother would buy small fresh picked cukes by the bushel to make pickles every summer. Gallon size Mason jars would line basement shelves. Dill, garlic, half sour, some pickles with hot peppers added in. Never cared for pickled green tomatoes but we had those, too. I simply prefer having pickles (whole, if possible) on the side rather than sliced on the burger.

Tomato? Most fast-food tomatoes are awful. Flavorless, under ripe, worthless.

Ditto for store bought tomatoes. I learned this many years ago after eating a ripe tomato fresh from the garden.

Granted, I still buy tomatoes from the grocery store and use them in salads but I definitely know the difference. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Tomato? Most fast-food tomatoes are awful. Flavorless, under ripe, worthless.

Ditto for store bought tomatoes. I learned this many years ago after eating a ripe tomato fresh from the garden.

Granted, I still buy tomatoes from the grocery store and use them in salads but I definitely know the difference. :cool:

We grow our own.

Tomatoes, that is.

Oh, regarding Five Guys burgers-- not bad at all. Several locations in Metro Detroit.

However, if you ever find yourself in Flint, Michigan, make sure you try a Halo Burger at Bill Thomas'.

EDIT: Five Guy's in the current Detroit News

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Ok, I'll play..

Well siince the Five Guys craze is a few years old to most of the country now, most people in the country have decided they love there burgers "kicked up a notch". Now, here in Atlanta area, we have Farmburger. There, you can sip white wine with your gourmet burger with pimento cheese and garlic fries. I must say it's a real competition out there, cause to be honest with you, I love Five Guys, but Farmburgers are the shiz!

Check out the options on this Farmburger menu

A few customer reviews yelp reviews and pics

TROLL . . . ish.

Personally, I'm a purist. All I like on my burger is cheese (either cheddar or american) and ketchup. Period. And the better the burger is, the less need there should be for anything else!

Thank you! I once wished there were more people like me who don't want all that crap on their burger, and it's slowly starting to come true :D

Archived