Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Five Guys

Dave Bryce

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Regarding the earlier discussion about Fuddrucker's, they've been going through some major stuff, closed a lot of their stores, and went thru a bankruptcy. They've now been bought by Luby's.

http://austin.bizjournals.com/austin/stories/2010/07/26/daily21.html

I've never been to Luby's nor have I had much interest, but the Pappas family owns some *very* good restaurants IMNSHO. I didn't know they were involved with the Luby's chain, so I might try it now. Hopefully this will mean good things for Fuddrucker's.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

had much interest, but the Pappas family owns some *very* good restaurants IMNSHO. I didn't know they were involved with the Luby's chain, so I might try it now.

Ive been to them, including the infamous one in Kileen where the guy drove through the front and shot 20+ people. :( It's decent for a cafeteria place.

I also am not hesitant about sending a steak back that is not executed to my specification. If you ordered it MR and it comes out R, politely ask the waiter if the kitchen could just hit it again for another minute or two. If you're nice about it, that sentiment will get back to the kitchen, assuredly.

Yeah and maybe they won't even spit on it before sending it back out.

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Through this entire thread there's been 5 guys, Fuddruckers, Wendi's, Burger King etc. etc. etc. I was looking for my personal favorite which no one mentioned. Ruby Tuesdays. Now that's a burger!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

Stepay: :facepalm:

Yeah yeah. I don't think Eva Longoria is attractive. I know most guys would disagree.

Yeah, come on guys. Stepay's trying to retire early - if he's out there publicly talking about digging Eva, that could make for a LONG retirement.... :laugh:
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I also am not hesitant about sending a steak back that is not executed to my specification. If you ordered it MR and it comes out R, politely ask the waiter if the kitchen could just hit it again for another minute or two. If you're nice about it, that sentiment will get back to the kitchen, assuredly.

Yeah and maybe they won't even spit on it before sending it back out.

I worked back there in several steakhouses. The way the waiter indicated the customer was behaving had a lot to do with what sort of unspeakables I would commit against their steak.

Most grill cooks aren't evil by nature, only by provocation. ;)

Through this entire thread there's been 5 guys, Fuddruckers, Wendi's, Burger King etc. etc. etc. I was looking for my personal favorite which no one mentioned. Ruby Tuesdays. Now that's a burger!

Their little prime minis were ok, but for the most part I was never super-impressed with their food.

Granted, I've never been to a RT outside of this area, so see my previous post regarding chain restaurants coming here to die a painful death.

Man, this thread is making me hungry! Fortunately, here in the NW, we have Burgerville. They went to all local sourcing for their meat, and as much of the rest of their produce as possible all few years ago, and they do make a really consistently good burger. Also, their Walla Walla sweet onion rings are in season right now, and these things are killer. Literally. So good, so greasy.

Turn up the speaker

Hop, flop, squawk

It's a keeper

-Captain Beefheart, Ice Cream for Crow

I saw a guy with an In-N-Out t-shirt today. I kid you not. I was so impressed.

For lunch, I lightly toasted a third of a baguette, spread some mayo and some NC Bone Suckin' Sauce and added a veggie burger with some nice melted Gruyère. Mm-mm!

I work at a lemonade stand which goes around various festivals and events all summer. Last week was Capital Ex, the big fair/ride/carnival/trade show/piece of crap. However, when Mitch's Monster Burgers serves up their signature Monster Burger, it's an event in itself. For $40, one person can attempt to eat in one hour and receive a full refund. They easily cover their costs, because the Monster Burger consist of one pound of beef, half a pound of bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato and red onion on a bun about the sive of four usual buns. Now that's a mouthful.

However, when Mitch's Monster Burgers serves up their signature Monster Burger, it's an event in itself. For $40, one person can attempt to eat in one hour and receive a full refund. They easily cover their costs, because the Monster Burger consist of one pound of beef, half a pound of bacon, cheese, lettuce, tomato and red onion on a bun about the sive of four usual buns. Now that's a mouthful.

That would be an appetizer on "Man vs Food". 1.5lbs worth of burger sounds like a challenge that could be handled by many especially if the 1lb of beef is the precooked weight. With typical ground beef, that would yield around 12oz cooked.

Archived