Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Official NFL 2010-2011 Thread

Geoff Grace

Kevin, that game was even difficult to see on television. Not an enjoyable Super Bowl to watch. I was happy the Colts won though. I can appreciate what many of you are saying about the ability to play in cold snowy weather and such, that's football. From what I read in Peter King's column this week, players are not liking NJ/NY for a SB location. He said that many of them feel that going to the Super Bowl should be a reward for that achievement. Somehow staying in a hotel in New Jersey for a week doesn't quite feel like a reward. Imagine that. :sick:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This much is true - there isn't much worse than going to New Jersey.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Except maybe living there.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Okay, this is taking the OT OT, this NJ talk makes me think of this SNL sketch.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/72445/saturday-night-live-update-gov-paterson-and-spitzer

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

This much is true - there isn't much worse than going to New Jersey.

How about Cleveland or Flint Michigan?

Jersey is whack, but it also contains a couple of the richest towns in the country.. Remember, Jack Lalanne & Tony Soprano live there! ;)

TROLL . . . ish.

I don't believe teams have a weather advantage especially when players come and go.

Now, if Green Bay and Buffalo have a special part of training camp where they condition players by dropping the temperature and/or cover the field in snow, that would be news to me. :laugh:

I wouldn't have a problem with a frigid and/or snow covered field during the SB. Since I'm not fond of cold weather, I just wouldn't attend it. :D:cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I heard today that the temp was 0 degrees in East Rutherford, NJ last Superbowl Sunday. That's interesting. And damn cold!

Despite that, here a few reasons why a NY/NJ Superbowl might work...

-Football is played in the elements.

-Less corporate slugs in the stands, more real football fans!

-The week up the game remains fun, lively and unaffected. Take the wife to Bobby Flay's for dinner, or a Broadway play, and all the cold is forgiven!

-It's called The Lombardi Trophy folks! What climate did he coach in?

-NY, locale = the biggest backdrop for any event in the world!

-Football is played in the elements!

-Great weather doesn't guarantee a great game!! Have we forgotten all those terrible SB's of the past? How about the 80's?? When 2 out of 10 games were any good.

TROLL . . . ish.

I agree with Jeff Klopmeyer on this one Meccajay. I believe the Super Bowl should be on a neutral field. Now it is true that in poor weather BOTH teams have to play in the same conditions, but could you imagine San Diego or Miami trying to play Green Bay in the Super Bowl? Take a wild guess at who would have the advantage, not to mention the better cheese. :D

Mike T.

I dunno - that Cali white cheddar is to die for! :D

I dunno, when I think about going on a "vacation" somehow....... New Jersey never enters the picture. I think of sippin' frozen drinks served to me under a sun umbrella on the beach watching all the young girls walk by in what is almost a bikini.

Back before the Super Bowl turned into a national holiday, and WAS the NFL Championship, teams like Green Bay EARNED the right to host the Championship game......AT HOME. Those days, along with the Packers dominating teams of yesteryear, are long gone. (Peter King picked Green Bay to be the number one NFL team this season, but last year he picked New Orleans at #24) Corporate executives don't watch football games from the stands like us peasants, they rent/lease sky boxes.

New York can be a "Fun" place for rich people. Its not so great for poor people. Eastern Jersey is not the Bahamas.

Even San Francisco is more charming, sometimes. Its probably even MORE expensive, but at least you can get good fish. :snax:

The debate goes on.

Mike T.

Well, your points aren't wrong Mike..

I'm just saying it's only one year. One game. We can live with that. While were "living with" NY, were also enjoying some of the greatest restaurants, entertainment, museums & superbowl parties ever known to man. In the Apple!

Then onto Tampa, Miami or San Diego.

TROLL . . . ish.

Meccajay:

True dat. My sister lived in NYC for about 15 or 16 years, and despite being a RAT RACE, there certainly are GREAT restaurants, entertainment, museums, and private parties. I spent quite a bit of time in NYC partying with my sister and her friends and we always had a good time. So your points are on target too.

I use to have a lot more $$ back in those days, but I grew up in PA so city life never appealed to me. It was the old "its a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there" thing.

And by the way, I was taking some shots at New Jersey for the fun of it, but I can tell you that some friends of mine that worked in eastern Jersey owned a house about 30 miles from the PA border and it was just like the Poconos, minus the mountains. So all of NJ is not a land fill. Just pokin' fun.

Cheers,

Mike T.

I love visiting NYC. It's an amazing city. I just think there are going to be problems inherent to hosting a Super Bowl there that might end up making it a worse experience for both stadium and TV viewers.

We'll see in some 3-1/2 years, I guess. :)

I was taking some shots at New Jersey for the fun of it, but I can tell you that some friends of mine that worked in eastern Jersey owned a house about 30 miles from the PA border and it was just like the Poconos, minus the mountains. So all of NJ is not a land fill. Just pokin' fun.

Yeah I've seen some of that.. Back in college I used to date a girl who went to school in northern most NJ(north of NYC), and we'd visit with her friends up around Budd Lake, and the Delaware Water Gap(?), and it was like a postcard from Sweden or someplace. I couldn't believe where I was! Anywho, it should be a fun superbowl, which I'm sure I'll watch at home on TV. :)

TROLL . . . ish.

Basically here is the thing I havent liked: Pro football, for the most part, has lost the weather. And thats terrible. Im not saying football is a cold-weather sport Im saying its an all-weather sport. And they have more or less legislated snow and rain and ice and mud out of the game. Oh, its still there in places in Green Bay and Chicago and Boston and Kansas City and so on but these days its not just possible but quite likely that at least one team will make it to the Super Bowl without facing the weather at all. Last year, Indianapolis and New Orleans made it to the Super Bowl without playing outdoors once in the playoffs and then they played the game itself in a Miami suburb.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writers/joe_posnanski/05/25/super.bowl.ny/index.html

It's a great article, but the big hole to poke in the argument is what happens after the game. If weather does become a factor, for how many months after the game are we going to hear about how so-and-so would have obviously won if not for the snow, blah blah blah blah...

I love the "all weather" aspect of football too. It just gets to a point that for the final championship game, don't you want to see an evenly matched situation both both teams regardless of where they play for most of the year?

And not that I care one iota about this aspect, but the halftime show will prove interesting as well.

Another example of how weather can give an edge to a team...One team has a great passing game, and the other a strong running game. If the game is played on an icy, snowy, slippery field, the team that runs the ball will have an edge. Quarterback to receiver are dependent on timing and rhythm, running the football is less about those things and more about bulling your way for 3 or 4 yards at a time and moving the chains. Can you spell BORING boys and girls? We use to call that grind them out football games. The reason that many of the rules were changed over the last 10 years is that fans want to see more points scored. The 6-3 football games of yesterday don't sell tickets.

Living in the Northeast most of my life and growing up playing football I know why many people want to see football the old fashion way. But the "better" team doesn't always win in grind them out football games. Usually the stronger team wins.

I like championship games in Sunny San Diego, or in a dome. Everyone is equal. No wind to blow passes and field goal tries off target. More points. More accurate Vegas lines and a better chance to win MONEY betting the game. :/

I like that.

Cheers,

Mike T.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty harsh. USC is seen as a repeat offender, so they are coming down on them hard. With Pete and company gone, it sure has taken the NCAA a long time to punish USC. The Reggie Bush thing was 2003 to 2005, fast forward to 2010 and NOW they are going to punish USC?

Mike T.

Taking away scholarships of new players, 21 I believe. Two years without being eligible for a BCS Bowl Game. I understand that the Heisman Trust may take away Reggie Bush's Trophy, declare him ineligible. Also, the BCS National Title in 2004 may be taken away too. I was listening to Jim Rome's program and he said that big time universities know that the BCS National Title is mythical. What really counts is the AP Coaches poll. USC was number one in 2003 and 2004, according to the AP Poll. The AP won't change that. USC won the 2004 title game 55-19, everyone knows that. The BCS can't take that away. It wasn't a game, it was a rout. Can't change history. And besides, USC has better looking cheerleaders. :D

Mike T.

Well the AD is still there, forget his name. Pete knew when to get out of town while the gettin' was good. :cop: I guess he's not just another pretty face after all. :idk

Mike T.

Well the AD is still there, forget his name. Pete knew when to get out of town while the gettin' was good. :cop: I guess he's not just another pretty face after all. :idk

Mike T.

I guess the AD hasn't had luck finding another school that will hire him. Or he has the ego to believe that he can actually rebuild USC's program once the penalties expire. In the meantime, they can look forward to at least two years of getting their heads kicked in by Colorado and other non-doormat newcomers (Texas perhaps?) to the PAC.

Agreed. They're punishing a new group of players and coaches for the misdeeds of people who are gone.

Best,

Geoff

I guess they think they're punishing Pete Carroll's bosses for allowing Pete and Co. to do what they did.

That seems right to me, but why act so late and with such a broad brush?

This reminds me of the NFL penalizing future Patriots teams for the videotaping that happened during the 2007 season while doing nothing to the team at the time. It makes no sense to me.

Can you imagine if games were officiated that way?

"Roughing the passer. The penalty will be assessed in the first game of 2014."

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I agree Geoff, the NCAA is VERY tardy.

"Roughing the passer. The penalty will be assessed in the first game of 2014."

:D

Pistol Pete had to know what was coming down and bailed in time to get a new, high paying job in the NFL. USC is left holding the bag.

Mike T.

I knew signing Haynesworth was a risky proposition. Nowadays, it's hard to guarantee $41M and expect a guy to play his heart out.

The NFL has created a mess. Players are either trying to secure a big payday or are well fed, er, paid and no longer hungry.

The problem is handing out huge chunks of money to cats that made a great plays individually but haven't won anything. Haynesworth is an example. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived