Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

suggest song with easy lead vocal?

harmonizer

I would like to help our bass player, who has a marginal voice, fulfill his desire to sing a lead vocal, and still have the result sound good for our band.

I play in a weekend warriors covers band, and we have a good lead vocalist and two decent backup singers (I'm one of them). He has already sang the lead on The Monkees' "I'm a Believer" at a couple of gigs (we put it in the last set, when fewer people would be there). We record gigs and sometimes rehearsals, so we have all heard the "iffy" results. His voice is not awful, but IMO he has not helped himself as much as he might to create a serviceable result by thinking more carefully about his approach. Anyway....

I think the type of song that would work best would have these traits:

a) be smack dab in the middle of a male baritone range (F-Bb perhaps?),

b) would have mostly small jumps in pitch (mostly whole steps and 3rds),

c) would have some 3-part vocal harmonies with his "lead" note on the bottom, and

d) have a simple enough bass part part so someone else could play the bass line (perhaps me on keyboard). He cannot really sing and play the bass at the same time.

In case it matters, here is some info about our band: we have a woman lead singer, a rhythm guitarist, a lead guitarist, my simple keyboard playing (sax is my main instrument), and a drummer. Here are the groups we cover the most: Fleetwood Mac, Doobies, Beatles, CCR, Bonnie Raitt, Huey Lewis, Eagles, Ronstadt, Joni Mitchell, Bon Jovi, Cars, Monkees, Led Zep, Pretenders, Stones.

Our bass player has a "weakness" for songs of the 1980s, but the song for him to sing does not have to come from that decade.

I have tried to think of songs that match the above criteria, but I have come up empty. If anyone has any suggestions it will be greatly appreciated - thanks.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd suggest the early 80's tune by The Nails, 88 Lines about 44 Women. Simple repetitive base line, nearly monotone vocal line and awesome lyrics!
Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Why let someone sing who can't sing? Especially if he can't play his instrument at the same time?

Some people weren't meant to be singers. Your bass player sounds like he's one of them.

Your desire to do a nice thing for your bandmate is absolutely to be commended. Think, however, of the not-so-nice thing that you're doing for everyone your audience by indulging his desire for a 4-minute "star turn"?

Noah

Why let someone sing who can't sing? Especially if he can't play his instrument at the same time?

Some people weren't meant to be singers. Your bass player sounds like he's one of them.

Your desire to do a nice thing for your bandmate is absolutely to be commended. Think, however, of the not-so-nice thing that you're doing for everyone your audience by indulging his desire for a 4-minute "star turn"?

Noah

Word.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Give him the Autotune and Vocoder treatment on The Cars 'Moving in Stereo'? Spare no expense.

The Nails meisenhower? I still love that cheezy organ on 'Hotel for Women'.

The Jim Carrol song 'People that Died' kind of works as its been redone a couple times with louder guitars and more gutteral vocals and the Death Metal 'Cookie Monster' vocal.

"Running Down A Dream" - Tom Petty.

"I'm A Believer" actually isn't all that easy to sing, although it's a simple song. Fast moving triads, like the one that opens the chorus, can be difficult to nail on picth.

Thanks to everyone for the great song suggestions.

I have listened to each song suggested, imagined our bass player singing them, considered what the rest of the band would play, and the styles all our band members like (our band is relatively democratic about song choices). So far I think the two that would work best are "I Wanna Be Sedated" and "Nobody But Me".

As far as why let him sing? - it's about fun, and it's about learning. I never sang in a covers band until I was 32 (16 years ago), and I still recall getting an elbow in my ribs once that year when I tried to sing a falsetto harmony I had not properly prepared for. That was part of my learning, and now I have a discipline about using falsetto that keeps me out of trouble. Back to our band's bass player, I do believe we can make the song work for the audience with him singing if we pick the right piece, and I am hoping this might help him improve his mental approach.

Dire Straits - Walk of Life

Good call! Actually anything by Mark Knoffler would probably work.

Money for nothing

+1 on Money For Nothing. Great vocal harmonies (the sting parts), easy keyboard parts, much of it is talky-singy, well known, and hey - 1980s.

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

I am very curious, why do the many of the people of this forum type out a saying someone else has said and then leave the rest of the area blank?

Is this the very best you can do? It's as though some of you can't think for yourselves and I know this is not the case.

I do not get this odd thing many of you do.

Enjoy life.

I am very curious, why do the many of the people of this forum type out a saying someone else has said and then leave the rest of the area blank?

Is this the very best you can do? It's as though some of you can't think for yourselves and I know this is not the case.

Enjoy life.

Enjoy life.

Enjoy life.

Seriously, other than the two posts right after you saying this, where is this done in this thread. There are a few quotes, but always with additional comments...

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

Enjoy life.

Given that you responded to Bill@WelcomeHomeStudios' post, I'm going to guess that you're referring to the space below the line that reads:

Steve Martin

...if so, it's because the forum software pads blank lines below a person's post so that their avatar (picture under their name on the left) isn't clipped.

If that's not what you're talking about, then I'm not sure what you mean, and I'm with the rest of the folks above wondering what you mean. ;)

Good call Sven, I think that might be it. jymB might not be aware that they posters are not typing out this saying, but in fact it is an autoappended sig file.

Archived