Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

QSC K12 - Review

Well, they came in... A pretty pair of K12's. Clean lines, clean power, clean tone. Plenty of headroom, light weight.

Comparisons to prior stuff I've used:

JBL Eon G2's: These are much better sounding (smoother, more accurate, easy on the ears...and eyes), and even though they only have 12's, they go just as low as the JBL's.

Mackie: no comparison

Accugrooves + QSC power: Very similar sounding at less weight, less hassle, and much less cost.

Motion Sound 500: Way better sounding and almost as convenient, plus a pair of K12's is only $300 bucks more than the MS..

Only "con": The "1,000 watt" spec just ain't so. I think that we now know that superlight weight Class D amps juist don't have the balls out headroom of older heavier gear. That said, these are plenty loud...just not 1,000 watts of loud

Conclusion: Hi Fi sound, small package, good price - A WDL "BEST BUY" ****

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IMO, 12" with horn speakers will become standard tops. Low end extension will be provided by a sub.

15" boxes will survive as sidefills and monitors. ;)

I would consider the new QSC K series if I wasn't in business already.

Enjoy the new boxes Bill. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Thanks for the review. On my list of "wants" - I'd like to have for my primary system, and use my EON 15G2s at the church to replace the bass amps.

Having to replace the home heat pump, so "wants" funds not healthy enough right now.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

I'm GASsing for the K8s very badly right now! The wider dispersion as compared to the K10s/K12s will be better for projecting to more of the room on my jazz gigs where there is rarely FOH sound.

hmmmm, what about that? I would think the 12's with the narrower dispersion would project the sound into the room more than the 8's which would be better for covering the stage. I'm seriously considering a pair for my duo gigs with singer up to the 5 piece band we do for weddings and concerts. I was all set to get the EV sxa360 when these came out. Has anybody been able to do a comparison?

John

Well, they came in... A pretty pair of K12's. Clean lines, clean power, clean tone. Plenty of headroom, light weight.

Comparisons to prior stuff I've used:

JBL Eon G2's: These are much better sounding (smoother, more accurate, easy on the ears...and eyes), and even though they only have 12's, they go just as low as the JBL's.

Mackie: no comparison

Accugrooves + QSC power: Very similar sounding at less weight, less hassle, and much less cost.

Motion Sound 500: Way better sounding and almost as convenient, plus a pair of K12's is only $300 bucks more than the MS..

Only "con": The "1,000 watt" spec just ain't so. I think that we now know that superlight weight Class D amps juist don't have the balls out headroom of older heavier gear. That said, these are plenty loud...just not 1,000 watts of loud

Conclusion: Hi Fi sound, small package, good price - A WDL "BEST BUY" ****

Thanks for posting your insights!

Been looking at replacing my JBL JRX100's (along with amp and eq) to a pair of K10's. Would be less gear and weight along with an improvement in sonics.

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

I was all set to get the EV sxa360 when these came out. Has anybody been able to do a comparison?

that is a very good question. Anyone?

D6 Clav

I'm GASsing for the K8s very badly right now! The wider dispersion as compared to the K10s/K12s will be better for projecting to more of the room on my jazz gigs where there is rarely FOH sound.

hmmmm, what about that? I would think the 12's with the narrower dispersion would project the sound into the room more than the 8's which would be better for covering the stage. I'm seriously considering a pair for my duo gigs with singer up to the 5 piece band we do for weddings and concerts. I was all set to get the EV sxa360 when these came out. Has anybody been able to do a comparison?

John

When people get off-axis from my FBTs, they can never hear me. With the K8s, it is much harder to get off-axis. The drummer in my quartet always complains about not being able to hear me as well.

The K10's are proving to be very, very pleasing. Love the size too. Almost went with the 8's but I really wanted the wedge position choice. These 10's are everything the JBL PRX512m's were without the noise gate issue.

This QSC line is really proving to be a winner for keys.

by wdl:

The watts of power rating is the most abused "spec" in MI Marketing. My tech told me to look for the "Continuous Sine Wave" rating if you want to get a picture of how many watts an amp or system really has. Peak performance ratings are a nebulous bit of blowing smoke and a few mirrors thrown in for good measure. :bor: QSC is not alone in this endeavor.

All and all, QSC makes quality products, so not to worry. :thu:

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

wdl,

Would be interested in hearing a more detailed comparison to your ACGs - bass extension, midrange detail, ability to maintain tone when loud, etc.

Well, the K12's have more throw - since they have a horn. That is better if you need them to project FOH. Tilted on side in monitor position, though, the throw is perfect for playing.

Bass extension is great on the K12's , but the birch cabs on the ACG's is simply tighter, better sounding (and heavier).

Same is true for midrange. all told, they are so much lighter, smaller, and easier to set up, that I'm afraid the K12's win over the ACG's.

The QSC HPR122i probably sound better still....

D6 Clav

Has anyone tried out the 8s with a DP? I'm honestly thinking that a pair of these could be enough for my band gigs, as the bass player always runs through his Acoustic Image and we don't mic drums. So it'd only be handling keys and vocals. Currently running two Mackie 450s and it does feel a bit like overkill! Certainly be fine for solo stuff, I'd think.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

remote gain seems silly. System goes into standby anyway after 10 minutes of silence. And gain on powered speakers is usually "set and forget" - adjustments are made via the mixer of direct input. - I guess you would only use remote gain if you plugged a mic into the back of the K12, and needed to change the volume from the stage....

D6 Clav

I actually tried out the K8 with a Nord Stage (early 2.x version) in the store. I wound it up pretty good. They were the only amp Ive plugged into that made the Stage piano sound good on its own with no assist. One would NOT be enough, but I liked the sound. The bass bottomed out pretty quick (of course), which is why I went with the 12s (and hitting Taurus bass pedal sounds through these cabs sound great!).

All in all, if you were only needing them for onstage monitoring, the K8s would be enough. If you were powering your rig with no FOH assist, you would absolutely need to do what Sven did, putting them on poles. I would still wonder if you could get away without a subwoofer though.

The K12s are nice and light, and small, not that much more money, and definitely have more headroom.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

remote gain seems silly. System goes into standby anyway after 10 minutes of silence. And gain on powered speakers is usually "set and forget" - adjustments are made via the mixer of direct input. - I guess you would only use remote gain if you plugged a mic into the back of the K12, and needed to change the volume from the stage....

I guess I was thinking that since the back of the K series has a albeit crude mixer, I'd be able to control the output of the cabinet especially if I was just using one keyboard. Bringing a mixer to a gig is just one more thing I'd like to get rid of too.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

Just did my 2d gig with the QSC K12's This time as a small PA, running acoustic guitar, vocals, and my Nord Stage. Folks at the gig commented how much clearer and warmer they were than my old Eon G2's. And plenty loud when needed.

At $799.00 (same price as the pretty awful new Eon 515). Oh YEAH

D6 Clav

wdl,

Thanks for the original info and updates. I, like several others, am thinking of upgrading (from my G2 Eons), and all the info you can provide based on real world experience in appreciated.

I'm most interested in how acoustic piano (DP) sounds through them, since that, to me, is the most difficult sound to accurately reproduce through speakers. Any thoughts on the ac piano sound through the K12's??

Yamaha C2, Yamaha MODX7, Hammond SK1, Hammond XK-5 Heritage Pro System, Korg Kronos 2 61, Yamaha CP4, Kurzweil PC4-7, Nord Stage 3 73, Nord Wave 2, QSC 8.2, Motion Sound KP 210S,  Key Largo, etc…yeah I have too much…

For me, the K12's amplify acoustic piano beautifylly...even the somewhat finicky Nord sounds excellent. Warm, clear and articulate.

D6 Clav

As for the "oomph" factor, they pack plenty of punch, without the splitting propensities... They clearly do not suffer from the new Eon 515's lack of testosterone...

D6 Clav

I was able to compare the QSC K12 with the JBL PRX512M this week in a side-by-side comparison at a big box music store. I wasn't able to hook them up to a piano / keyboard. I was only able to listen using a CD as source material. So I chose the piano intro to Elton John's "Levon" and turned it way up, to see how it handled the grand piano. Admittedly, the source-signal is much more compressed than would be a played piano, but it was the best I could get at the time. Note: I left the "Deep" switch on the QSC K12 not engaged, so as to be "flat".

This is what I heard:

The JBL had fuller bottom-end, and had more sibilance (the 8kHz "ssssst"). But the addition of the bottom-end and sibilance made the piano sound unnaturally enhanced. I found I actually liked the piano sound better through the QSC K12. Amazing...you see, I am a born-and-raised, died-in-the-wool JBL man. I grew up on JBL! Now, for vocals, I might choose JBL, for I suspect that the monitor has that signature JBL sound, which I am very partial to for "rock" volume.

But I was auditioning the QSC K12 for a piano/keyboard monitor, and it sounded better (at a loud volume, too.)

Certainly, plugging in a piano would be the real test. But I was able to get an acceptable answer to my query--these would work well. So I ordered a pair (at a lot less than $799 each.)

For what it's worth...

Archived