Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Know Any Singers Like This?

raddtunes

Thurs nite I subbed on a gig with a singer who was cool in way that I've never known - -

Just me on Roland RD-700GX and her on vocals in a posh private club - - kind of a parlor with bar atmostphere.

She said she likes having me because I get her to do new songs that she likes. (I can do most of the standards, but I'm tired of them - - and so are LOTS of the people).

So she asked me to call most of the tunes - - I called mostly pop tunes - 70's thru now - that I felt would work with her style, and our context - - piano/voice performing for that particular audience, on that particular night.

After almost every time I'd call one, she'd go - "ooo, I love that one. . . let's do that." She didn't know any of the lyrics to the songs - - so she'd google them on her iphone and read the lyrics. And sang BEAUTIFULLY on everything.

I also came up with slightly different - - and hopefully cool - - grooves or feels to each of the songs. Just enough to keep them fresh. She would say "I never thought that song could go like that."

We were doing Breathe (Faith Hill) - - and at the end, I slided into "Every Breath You Take" for a second - - she picked right up on it and did a couple of phrases "every smile you fake, every claim you stake - - i'll be watching you" - - or something like that.

At one point, we started a tune - she tried the first part off the mic to get the key - - and said "that might be a little low . . . .ah, but let's try it there - it might be cool."

HUH?????? How cool is that!!!

I must admit that I'm VERY cautious about accepting work that involves singers. Basically I will deal with them for the right price.

But this gig was just a total joy - - and a life adjustment for me. I found out all over again that I REALLY love accompanying, and I think I'm pretty good at it.

Know any singers like this?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a long-term working relationship with a singer like that. She was among the few singers I've worked with who truly thought and worked like a musician, with her voice as her instrument. Duo gigs were our specialty, and we could follow each other anywhere. Had some really nice moments.

It's a rare treat, so enjoy it!

I was lucky enough that the first singer I worked with professionally was also that kind of person. Unfortunately, because of her family situation, she had to return to Canada a couple of years ago. With Kari, I really felt that musical connection that went beyond the normal understanding of "accompaniment".

This recording of Both Sides Now was done in a hurry and the piano is a fairly crude-sounding Roland RD150 but it's still one of my favourite things that I've done. You can hear Kari's voice break with emotion on the final few words but I felt it was such an honest take I decided to keep it and we got lots of work on the back of this demo.

Yamaha: P515, CP88, Genos 1, HX1

No dream! - It happened. If I took one of those psychological tests and was asked to describe "the ideal gig with a singer" - - I'm not sure I would have thought of anything half as good as last Thursday night.

Aidan - thanks for posting that track - it's beautiful. Took me back to last Thursday, actually.

and at the end, I slided into "Every Breath You Take" for a second - - she picked right up on it and did a couple of phrases "every smile you fake, every claim you stake - - i'll be watching you" - - or something like that.

Check out this awesome reharmonization/arrangement:

I particularly love that C altered chord to tonicise the F minor. Also the reharm in the bridge really opens up the song in a way I wouldn't think possible with just piano/voice.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I've worked with a total of 4 female singers as bandmembers (excluding one-off accompaniment things).

The first was sour and pissed off at the world.

The second snuck off in the middle of the night from our hotel, deserting us on the road. We had to frantically call the booking agent for a replacement. She later showed up at a gig 2 states away, and was surprised that we were upset with her.

The third joined us as a way to escape the small town life she was living. She quit just as soon as she found a man.

The fourth was professional, had a wonderful voice, and personality wise was "one of the guys".

So they are out there.

Moe

---

professional, had a wonderful voice, and personality wise was "one of the guys".

So they are out there.

This describes our female singer perfectly. That is one reason why we have been "dating" for 9 years. In September I'm going to take Rocket Man's advice and marry her!

Jim Wells

Tallahassee, FL

www.pureplatinumband.com

Seriously when you meet a singer like that and the musical relationship is so incredible, it is a powerful powerful thing and you can't help but think 'man I wish I was married to this woman'. I had a girl like that in college where we had an incredible connection like that. We were in awe of what the other was doing. This is one of the feelings that those who don't play music could never understand, and for those of us that DO play music, it washes away the dust of hundreds of crappy gigs and lame rehearsals and loud guitar players, and reminds us why we do this.

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

This describes our female singer perfectly. That is one reason why we have been "dating" for 9 years.

Keyguy,

Nine years of "dating"? And you're still together! Sounds to me like a case of "Eyes Wide Open". There can't be much you don't know about each other, and you still apparently want to be with each other. Go for it! Life is shorter than we think. Live it.

I've been gigging with the same band on & off (mostly on) for the last 11 or 12 years. The 1st time I heard the vocalist, I knew she was really good right away, but after having been in oh so many bands with chick singers I was ever so cautious. Then I found out she was married... happily. Yeh! 1st band I've been in with a female vocalist that hasn't ended up sleeping with at least one person in the band.... which is why after so many years, we're all still together.

She's a total musical type, sees her voice as an instrument & is a total joy to gig with. But I certainly have no desire to marry her.... it would be kinda like marrying my sister.. eeewwww! :eek:

Custom Music, Audio Post Production, Location Audio

www.gmma.biz

https://www.facebook.com/gmmamusic/

Yep. Working with an excellent singer who can go with the flow is a blast.

It is unfortunate when a good singer or musician carries more suitcases than a SUV will allow.

Definitely enjoy the musical partnership and performance moments. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

This recording of Both Sides Now was done in a hurry and the piano is a fairly crude-sounding Roland RD150 but it's still one of my favourite things that I've done. You can hear Kari's voice break with emotion on the final few words but I felt it was such an honest take I decided to keep it and we got lots of work on the back of this demo.

Thanks liked this a lot. I've always found this song incredible. And the singer was very tasteful in not over-embellishing. Your playing too was very beautiful.

JP

1935 Mason & Hamlin Model A

Korg Kronos 2 73

Nord Electro 6D 61

Yam S90ES

Rhodes Stage 73 (1972)

Know any singers like this?

No. The singers I work with are very closed minded about adding new repertoire. I'll suggest a tune and I often get "that's not my style." But I belive a good tune is a good tune and a skilled singer can put their own unique touch on a song. So few singers want to take risks and try something out of their confort zone. Anyways I'm glad you found a singer that you like working with raddtunes, and may you and her continue to make joyful music together.

Aidan- thanks for sharing your recording. Very nice.

No. The singers I work with are very closed minded about adding new repertoire. I'll suggest a tune and I often get "that's not my style." But I belive a good tune is a good tune and a skilled singer can put their own unique touch on a song. So few singers want to take risks and try something out of their confort zone. Anyways I'm glad you found a singer that you like working with raddtunes, and may you and her continue to make joyful music together.

Funny you should say that. When writing our last song, our guitarist came up with a sweet funky lick for the chorus. The melody was already down. Our singer insisted that it didn't fit. It did. He then said that it wasn't in key with the melody. We proved it to him. He said it wasn't comfortable to sing. We all sang it, even the guitarist, while playing the lick at the same time. So he said it just wasn't comfortable and he couldn't sing it. We said "Up yours, sing it." He sang. Jeez, they can be tough sometimes!

Archived