Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

KC NAMM dinner!

Dave Bryce

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Everybody cool with that? If not, lemme know...

dB

Cool! Thank you very much for organizing this. I really greatly appreciate it and am looking forward to hanging out with you and everyone!!!!!!

Any more discussion of going to see Joey D at Steamers tonight, after NAMM Dinner? Markyboard and I talked about it and would be into going if others want to check it out. I remember last year that place was PACKED and it was difficult to get seats.

Great, I'm sick -- too sick to drive and too sick to go to the show or the dinner tonight. Since I started attending Winter NAMM in 1988, this will be the first one I've missed because of illness. I'm really bummed! :mad:

Have fun, everyone!

Best,

Geoff

this is sad news...feel better soon Geoff, really wish we could have seen you

What a great dinner...thanks everybody and Dave of course. Was so great to meet some of you. I even saw one of my favorite musicians-Yngwie's drummer Patrick and got to say hi from across the room and have him flash the famed Dio horns sign at me!

Surprise guest was none other than Carlo Mezzanotte, aka marino.

There is a great story about this. I'm gonna grab some coffee, start dumping down pictures from my camera and then get some posted from the dinner. It was a great time.

Surprise guest was none other than Carlo Mezzanotte, aka marino.

D*mn, I need to start playing the Lotto immediately. I just had a feeling Marino would be the surprise guest. That is simply fantastic. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Great, I'm sick -- too sick to drive and too sick to go to the show or the dinner tonight. Since I started attending Winter NAMM in 1988, this will be the first one I've missed because of illness. I'm really bummed! :mad:

Wow....I'm so sorry you got sick, brother Geoff - you were definitely missed!

Thanks to Mike Martin and Casio for grabbing a large chunk of the tab, thanks to Steve Fortner and Ernie Rideout from Keyboard for joining us, and most special thanks to everyone who took time out of their schedules to attend the dinner.

I'd love to tell you guys that we didn't sit around after dinner having drinks watching Marino, Steve LeBlanc and Zephonic trading licks 'til one in the morning... :cool::thu::rawk:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

'k it's been five minutes.

where are the pictures?

You be patient now, Tom!

Ok, I think I have a few to offer, along with a little narrative. The 2009 KC NAMM hang was coordinated and facilitated by our beloved moderator, dB. We all met at Buca di Beppo for a 7:30 dinner and then many of us proceeded to a local hotel for additional drinks and fun around a lobby piano. As mentioned before, we had a "secret" guest all the way from Rome. Mr. Mezzanotte. dB actually took care of getting marino all the way to L.A. via generous offer of his frequent flyer miles. While in L.A., Steve LeBlanc has been providing room and board for marino. This is amazing brotherhood on the forum that marino was given this opportunity to travel around the world and hang out at NAMM.

Getting to the pictures. I know Tom is starting to go crazy. :D

For all these pictures, I will try to list names from left to right. In a few cases, there are one or two unknowns that I did not get to meet explicitly. So I'll depend on others to fill in these blanks.

Here's a few folks waiting outside Buca. Neil (nmcq), Bobby (Bobadoshe), Markyboard, Dave Pierce, Dave's brother Mitch.

IMG_0505.jpg

Eric and Carlo (marino) outside

IMG_0507.jpg

Inside Buca, ~30 people situated at tables. Very tight quarters, but great conversations. I won't try to name everyone in this photo, but you'll pick up clues from other pics

IMG_0528.jpg

Byron (steadyb), Carlo, Gus Lozada, Gearmike, KenElevenShadows, Dave Pierce, Mitch Pierce, Markyboard, Steve LeBlanc, dB's office manager (Christine), Marzzz

IMG_0527.jpg

CJ's colleague, CJ Lewis, Mike Martin, George Hamilton (geosync), Jamie Finstad (jfinstad), Neil McQueen (nmcq), Dan G (StillLearning), JohnH, unknown

IMG_0526.jpg

Eric, Jason Stanfield, JohnH, behind us are Gus and Carlo

IMG_0525.jpg

Mike Martin proposes a toast. Also in photo are Stephen Fortner, zephonix, CJ Lewis & unknown (forget name, but colleague of CJ)

IMG_0531.jpg

Stephen Fortner, Ernie Rideout, George Hamilton, zephonix

IMG_0535.jpg

Eric and Gus

IMG_0543.jpg

I think I maxed out the number of images uploaded in my previous post. Here is a bit of the post party with lots of talent around the piano. Utterly amazing to listen to Carlo, Zephonic, Steve LeBlanc - these guys had UNBELIEVABLE CHOPS. A few of us were so humbled that we did not have much to offer on the piano. Props to dB for singing and playing several tunes - the man can entertain.

I do have some video clips and will try to get those uploaded - I keep having issues with the videos getting timed out during upload, however.

IMG_0565.jpg

I AM SO BUMMED I HAD TO BAIL TO DRIVE ALL THE WAY TO NOTHRIDGE FOR A REHEARSAL and missed the post party!!!!

The dinner, at least the part that I was there for, was awesome, and it was great to make the acquaintance of some of my fellow forumites. Thanks to dB and Mike Martin for picking up the tab, and props to dB for orchestrating the bringing out of the great Carlo!!

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

About the only negative I can think of for Carlo is that he had to be subjected to American Italian food :laugh:

Now THAT's funny! :laugh:

Man, one of these years, I really wanna make the pilgrimmage west to NAMM and one of these dinners! Sounds a truly great time was had by all this year!

Noah

P.S. Eric: Didn't get a video. Just a pic of Carlo at the piano.

Yeah, I'm glad I came. Good fun to meet some of the guys on this forum, and Steve LeBlanc and Marino were the icing on an already very tasty cake :-) Dave "Banninator" Bryce is an accomplished singer/pianist, too and an all-around party dude! Thanks for hooking it up DB, and thanks to Mike Martin for footing much of the bill. Mike hinted at big things to come from Casio, but of course, I'm not supposed to talk about it :-)

@Eric: No vid there, buddy just a still of Carlo at the piano.

@Linwood: you should have been there! People tell me it's only a 4 hour drive from Vegas :wave:

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

Wow....I'm so sorry you got sick, brother Geoff - you were definitely missed!

Thanks to Mike Martin and Casio for grabbing a large chunk of the tab, thanks to Steve Fortner and Ernie Rideout from Keyboard for joining us, and most special thanks to everyone who took time out of their schedules to attend the dinner.

I'd love to tell you guys that we didn't sit around after dinner having drinks watching Marino, Steve LeBlanc and Zephonic trading licks 'til one in the morning... :cool::thu::rawk:

dB

*sigh*

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

I never thought I'd be telling my wife this morning that I was glad NOT to go see Joey D. last night. The after dinner event was an unbelievable experience for me and made this NAMM the most memorable to date. And thats with a show that equipment wise was less than spectacular (but understandable).

It was mind blowing to watch Carlo do one of his originals off the CD I bought (can't recall the name of the piece) followed by Zephonic laying down awesome Cuban rhythms and Steve LeBlanc joining in with his awesome jazz chops. And then as if this wasn't enough here comes Carlo joining in on top. And then these guys without missing a beat switch positions as if they rehearsed this for months.

Then when they're done, dB says sits down saying I just play pop music and I'm thinking OK maybe something more in line with my level. Only dB kicks ass in his own right doing Elton, Billy Joel and I do believe I heard a couple of Genesis riffs. I gotta go home and start learning some songs. :sick:

Great meeting everyone, thanks Ernie, Steve and dB for providing this unbelievable forum/community and event and I forgot last night but super thanks so much to Mike Martin and dB for footin the dinner and bar tab.

Archived