Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

In memory of LeRoi Moore

SK

Dave Matthews' saxophonist LeRoi Moore died a little while ago, from complications from an accident on his Charlottesville farm.

http://www.charlottesvillenewsplex.tv/home/headlines/27158924.html

LeRoi was a wonderful guy and totally organic jazz player. He used to be a very clean cut, humble and unassuming guy who conservatively wore sport coats. His eyesight was damaged from contacts, so he couldn't drive. His life changed completely when that band hit the big time, and he suddenly found himself owning two homes and unlimited financial success.

He, drummer Carter (a top notch player) and I played gigs right up until they went on the road with Dave for the first time - I still have tapes of some gigs. LeRoi even had Dave contact me about playing with them. There were many nights on the stand, playing chess on the breaks, and telling funny stories. One of a kind - I'll miss him.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow! I thought he was on the mend. Really sad. Dave Matthews Band's mix of jazz/folk "jams" has been a bright light in the rock dominated arena. When they added Butch on keys the group was even more special. RIP LeRoi

SK - could you share any of those jams and stories with LeRoi and Carter?

SK thanks for sharing that about Leroi.

I am a huge DMB fan and have been for the past 11 or so years since my sister first exposed me to them in High School. For a long time it was my dream gig to have Butch Taylor's spot touring with those guys. I always scratched my head at Butch's role in the band, kind of like the 5th Beatle who was never a part of the 'band' in press shots but was an undeniable member on stage.

Some of Leroi's flute playing on tracks like 'Say Goodbye' was just sweet and wonderful.

How sad and what an undeniable blow to the DMB camp.

:(

Kawai C-60 Grand Piano : Hammond A-100 : Hammond SK2 : Yamaha CP4 : Yamaha Montage 7 : Moog Sub 37

My latest album: Funky organ, huge horn section

https://bobbycressey.bandcamp.com/album/cali-native

Just read about LeRoi's passing a little while ago. He really was an integral part of the DMB sound. RIP. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Wow, I'm really saddened about this. I never actually played *with* DMB, but shared the stage with them numerous times over the years since they are from my neck of the woods. I first started seeing them in the early '90s when they played regular FREE shows on Tues nights at Trax in Charlottesville and Wed night at The Flood Zone in Richmond.

LeRoi was a good guy, impressive musician and he will be missed.

For a long time it was my dream gig to have Butch Taylor's spot touring with those guys. I always scratched my head at Butch's role in the band, kind of like the 5th Beatle who was never a part of the 'band' in press shots but was an undeniable member on stage.

Butch was interviewed in Roland Users Group magazine and revealed that DM wanted him to be a regular member during the early years of the band. He decline because of family concerns and his busy sessions schedule.

Apparently the band played the show they had scheduled last night. Gee, wouldn't want to take time to mourn their "dear friend" and lose all that money... Shameful.

From my understanding, LeRoi had been off the tour recovering from the accident. And some mourn best through playing - certainly, for me, that's how I coped best at times.

RIP LeRoi.

My Site

Nord Electro 5D, Novation Launchkey 61, Logic Pro X, Mainstage 3, lots of plugins, fingers, pencil, paper.

I think it's classless and doesn't show the grace that Bruce Springteen's band had. Danny had been out of the band for six months when he died. In racing if your teammate gets killed in practice/qualifying, the team withdraws for the weekend. And that's a sport that profiles as cold, unfeeling hard people, not musicians, who are supposed to be more sensitive. I always thought this band sucked and were jackasses anyway and now they've proved it.

John

Racing teams don't always pull the team, and in that case, it's often because the driver died at the track. That's very different from a friend/bandmate dying while they are away.

It's an individual/band decision.

Did you see the thread about canceling gigs, and one guy noted a band mate didn't tell the band until after the gig that his 12 year old daughter died that morning? Was he a jackass?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Did you see the thread about canceling gigs, and one guy noted a band mate didn't tell the band until after the gig that his 12 year old daughter died that morning? Was he a jackass?
Really. Playing music together is about community. Ever been to a musicians funeral? There's almost always a jam session afterwards. If there isn't, there should be. We celebrate each other's life by making some noise. Going on and playing the same day would seem a tribute to me, and perhaps the best way any band could cope with the news of a friend and member's death, and in my mind demonstrates pure class. I should add that I am in no way a fan of DMB music.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Apparently the band played the show they had scheduled last night. Gee, wouldn't want to take time to mourn their "dear friend" and lose all that money... Shameful.

From my understanding, LeRoi had been off the tour recovering from the accident. And some mourn best through playing - certainly, for me, that's how I coped best at times.

RIP LeRoi.

That's right. He was recuperating and had been absent from their current tour. I find no fault with the band playing that night. It was about paying tribute.

I was a big DMB fan. That's sad news.

Well, Carter Beauford (drummer) was LeRoi's oldest friend - like brothers. He would never have disrespected LeRoi for anything in the world. LeRoi would definitely have wanted them to play the gig, and I'm sure they probably would rather have not. I'm sure they did it for him as a tribute, and for the obligation of the gig - both.

About the DMB: not exactly my taste, but they have a unique energy beyond most rock bands, mostly because of Carter's explosive playing. It wasn't a vehicle to showcase LeRoi's playing, but I think he was finding a new musical identity and had accepted his role as writer/arranger above soloist. He playing was honest, so he never tried to play the songs in a traditional rock/jazz fusion way.

Really. Playing music together is about community. Ever been to a musicians funeral? There's almost always a jam session afterwards. If there isn't, there should be. We celebrate each other's life by making some noise. Going on and playing the same day would seem a tribute to me, and perhaps the best way any band could cope with the news of a friend and member's death, and in my mind demonstrates pure class. I should add that I am in no way a fan of DMB music.

+1

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

It sounds to me like SK, B96, Kanker and others have it right. If he had been on the tour that would have been different, but he wasn't and I think it is a good way to send a friend to the next place.

RIP LeRoi

Jimmy

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others. Groucho

NEW BAND CHECK THEM OUT

www.steveowensandsummertime.com

www.jimmyweaver.com

Archived