Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

taking Jazz too seriously

delirium

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Have a good weekend guys. I'm driving younger daughter up to Interlochen. Wish her the best as she chases the bliss we all started chasing years ago.

Larry.

Wave as you round Lake Michigan; I'll be waving back. :wave:

What a wonderful experience for your daughter. All the best to her!

I had just noticed in your old avitar photo of yourself that you had the general look of a gentleman of leisure, so I was just basing it on that! So I guess YEAH!

Lennie Tristano was a big proponent of acid BTW. I'm not necessarily a proponent of that now and would never suggest anyone take it for any reason. I have partaken a few times but mostely mesc..

I think you'd be surprise how many older jazz musicians were into that. Like Maynard Furgson, he and his wife lived in that Victorian Mansion upstate in 63' with Leary as documented in the Electric Koolaid Acid Test.

Strange days indeed! Anyway I don't want to hijack this thread!

Griff, now you look like a man that can appreciate this, ya know! Yes back in da-day, in the 'olden times', that was a common translation of the title in da sub-cultA!

I've done my fair share of "25" in my day, if that's what you're asking... :D

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

nice, as we see jazzers don't want to be rich...

Initially, jazz musicians were more interested in pushing the limits of improvisational music.

At a time when folks were more open-minded musically i.e. 50s-70s, things started taking off as evidenced by the recorded material in jazz and other genres.

From the 70s to present, some jazz musicians have managed to get rich too. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

From the 70s to present, some jazz musicians have managed to get rich too. :cool:

only by accident :cool: but that's ok, money is all devil thing. It's very noble to aspire higher values in life :thu:

♫♫♫ motif XS6, RD700GX

Somehow, I knew rich jazz musician would conjure up that image. :D

Even that particular cat didn't get rich by accident. Many folks who proclaim to like jazz cite his music as the object of their affection. :sick:

Guess he managed to write a few hits. :laugh:

There are fewer rich musicians within any genre compared to those aspiring just to be heard. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Kenny G caught the peak of the "$mooth jazz" wave. Smooth jazz would be better named "pop jazz". It usually has a commercial R&B style funk beat,a pop song format, and a minimum of improvisation. I like Joe Sample's and Jeff Lorber's smooth jazz work.

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Congratulations to young jazz pianist Taylor Eigsti who had the most played straight ahead jazz album last week.

Have a listen:

http://www.tayjazz.com/

Find 675 of my jazz piano arrangements of standards for educational purposes and tutorials at www.Patreon.com/HarryLikas Harry was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's "The Jazz Theory Book" and helped develop "The Jazz Piano Book."

Shouldn't a musician understand music more than a listener? If not, why do they pay us to play?

+1

http://img514.imageshack.us/img514/1662/gladhe7.gif

Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam.

I have a catapult. Give me all the money, or I will fling an enormous rock at your head.

:)

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Kenny G caught the peak of the "$mooth jazz" wave. Smooth jazz would be better named "pop jazz". It usually has a commercial R&B style funk beat,a pop song format, and a minimum of improvisation. I like Joe Sample's and Jeff Lorber's smooth jazz work.

I was invited to a reception at the Smooth Jazz Festival in Southfield, MI last week. The headliners:

Friday-Average White Band,

Saturday-Kenny G,

Sunday-Ohio Players.

I could choose any night to attend. Which would you have picked??

"Oh yeah, I've got two hands here." (Viv Savage)

"Mr. Blu... Mr. Blutarsky: Zero POINT zero." (Dean Vernon Wormer)

I was invited to a reception at the Smooth Jazz Festival in Southfield, MI last week. The headliners:

Friday-Average White Band,

Saturday-Kenny G,

Sunday-Ohio Players.

I could choose any night to attend. Which would you have picked??

I grew up loving AWB. It could have had something to do with the album cover :blush: ...

http://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/s17313.jpg

I heard them recently. Can't remember who they were in concert with - maybe Hall & Oates. Anyway, I enjoyed them.

But the Ohio Players may be a better performance. Maybe.

I've got a secret love for funk. :cool:

Of course, if you're judging by album covers, the Players definitely have something to offer...

http://www.musline.com/news/9-3-08/honey-ohio-players.jpg

If it came down to attending a Kenny G concert... or getting caught holding my wife's purse,

Ummmmmmmmmm, so how 'bout those VIKINGS, huh? :D

:rawk:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

I grew up loving AWB. It could have had something to do with the album cover :blush: ...

:):thu:

Yeah, I used to like AWB and Ohio Players, back in the day. If I caught them on the tube or something, I'd watch and enjoy. Not sure if I'd spend money to go to a concert, though.

I opened for AWB twice with KKB, they (AWB) are basically two Scottish brothers who's name escapes me right now which kinda caught me off guard like watching The Simpsons or something. 2 bottles of Dewars must have been in the riders because they were in the green rooms both times! I hear they like Dewars!

2 Scottish brothers, it's really like The Commitments! They surround themselves with great young players now! Not sure who else was in the original band!

Funny, it's was like a cartoon when I found out about that and I applied it as I listened/watched their set!

I imagined them drunk on Dewars actually!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Archived