Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

Wow - a bit of homework to do!

7note, it's very flattering and instructive to hear my stuff played by someone else, especially if that someone has your talent and ability. Thank you for your perspective - in fact, I almost started to record a new version... but life is too short. :D

Dave, I absolutely love your "Who can I turn to". Your approach to the character of the song doesn't seem too different from mine, even though the changes are totally different. 7note, also, is amazing on this song, if with a totally different kind of concentration and intensity. Thank you.

"Close your eyes", though not particularly adventurous (who said one needs to be all the time?), is exceptionally well played, and very pleasant to the ear.

Steve's version of "As time goes by" is outstanding. In fact, with this arrangement, the melody itself sounds much better. Actually, I'm not sure if this song deserves such noble harmonization.. :D Richard's version is very elegant, in a more traditional sense maybe, but quite sophisticated, I'd see it in some kind of film soundtrack. :)

I also listened to "Almost being in love", but I can only say that I found it nice and pleasant, because I'm not very familiar with that song. Electric piano for a change!

Same goes for Linwood's contribution. Yeah, I'm just ignorant! Where can I hear some representative versions of those songs?

BTW Linwood, your arrangement reminded me that in that old thread, I posted a reharm of Ipanema quite suitable for a funk/fusion treatment. Time to do some search (God help me...)

I'll be back real soon with some music! :)

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And, 'Almost Like Being in Love' is one of those standards recorded by almost every singer in the 50's and 60's that sang standards - Frank, Ella, Nat Cole, Sarah Vaughan, I'm pretty sure they all recorded it. It's usually in major key, not minor. My version takes it to a totally different place than usual, I'd say.

Here's Judy Garland singing it on youtube (in a medley with This Can't Be Love):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vhXoNgX6w74

Thanks Linwood and Richard - now I can really appreciate the spirit of your versions! :D

In fact, I realized I was familiar with "Almost being in love", I just forgot the title... and I didn't recognize it by listening. :D

OK, so there isn't any excuse for this one, other than enjoying a ride at breakneck speed (about 300 bpm). The changes are rather standard hard bop, except the bridge, which I conceived as modal/tyneresque... until I realized that it would have been too much of a break from the other sections. So there you have, tyneresque changes with swing feel. :freak:

The whole point, really, was to attempt a very humble homage to Oscar Peterson. So I tried this kind of, um Petersonic Speed?! :D

(Oscar forgive me, because my left hand sucks big time...)

It's all right with me - sheet

It's all right with me - audio

Yeah, Carlo, 'it's all right with me' sounded like a modernized piano roll - great chops there. Great job on it - fun to listen to!

Actually, I agree that "As Time Goes By" doesn't deserve much of a treatment, which is why I played it in such a non-committal fashion. Richard had a consistent concept for it, but I didn't really know what to do with it, which is why I played that funny dissonant Bb chord on the last 'A' to say "whatever!"

"Home on the Range" was cool, Linwood. A great bari player (Gary Smulyan) and I used to play an arrangement of "I'm An Old Cowhand" which swung the bridge up tempo. Kinda funny - I'd forgotten about that.

BTW, Carlo, I want to remember to ask you about an Italian song I halfway know. A tango. Don't know the name of it, but I like it and would like to reharm it. You might know it, so I'll try to give my impression of it soon to see if you recognize it.

Yeah Richard, very creative, intriguing, with some great voicings in there. Changing the mood was a good idea, because that's possibly the most effective way to put your stamp on a standard.

Great job, and thanks for doing it. I have an idea for a version too, but then it might seem like too much of one thing.

Yeah Richard, very creative, intriguing, with some great voicings in there. Changing the mood was a good idea, because that's possibly the most effective way to put your stamp on a standard.

Great job, and thanks for doing it. I have an idea for a version too, but then it might seem like too much of one thing.

Thank you Steve.

Don't let me stop you! I for one wouldn't mind hearing another version from you, if you feel like it

Steve, This is your most well formulated version of WCITT. Each one of your successive versions has gone deeper. There is a calmness to this version that I particularly like.

Marino, thanks for the kind words on Easy to Love. I have looked at your arrangement of it, which is a tour de force of reharmonization. Great stuff.

Here is a quick submission of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. This is not performance level playing, but just sharing some ideas of where I might want to take it when I get serious about rethinking this song - I have never tried to reharm it before. I guess I have avoided it because it is so common.

http://www.divshare.com/download/4175284-81b

No, not ANOTHER Who Can I Turn To. :deadhorse:

http://www.divshare.com/download/4215707-312

Very nice, Steve. You've taken it to outer space and back! But, like Tom said, with a calmness... That's one heck of an intro - beautiful!

I'm curious about your creative process - is some of that free-improvised in the moment, and some is charted? How much of each?

"Almost Like Bein In Luv"

Floyd, the groove on this reharm is happening. I dig it. :thu::cool:

Muchos gracias, Professor D.

Tom, nice work on SOTR. Looking forward to the finished version. Reharming common, over-done tunes is a challenge. But if you can make it your own, then you've really done something. Plus, you have the advantage that just about everyone knows the song. Look at what Coltrane did with Summertime. I love his arrangement.

One day I'll be good enough to Re-Harm, for now I guess I'll just have to Harm (hopefully only myself)!

Now what is that chord again!

Actually I've been going through some of the lead sheets very slowly. The ones that aren't notated in 2 clefs as Linwood's Blue Freakin Bossa (which I really liked) and are really lead sheets, I'm having some problems with. I'm not sure how to voice the chords exactly. I'm obviously not skilled enough yet to figure out how to voice it all. Like Floyd's (Richard's) 'Girl From Ipanema' but I got alittle ways with that in spite of myself! I need to bone up on my voicing knowledge, not getting a whole lot of that from my guy, but I am getting alot of other stuff from him! Line and rhythm work.

Anyway, great thread!

lb :thu:

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Thanks to everybody for the supportive words.

Legatoboy - It's a pleasure having you check in on us with this thread. If you believe you're 'not ready for reharm' just know this is about discovery - it could be just one different chord you find on a song that you like - that would be a reharm to me.

I'm curious about your creative process - is some of that free-improvised in the moment, and some is charted? How much of each?

Richard, when I compose something I'll write it out for other musicians I play with, but I don't chart anything for myself on these reharms. (If it was charted, I'd have played it better.) I do have some general ideas of what I want to do before I record it - I just improvise to try to make those ideas cohesive. Like on this WCITT, my intro was to deconstruct expectation so it can go anywhere from there.

One rough idea here was to avoid some of the major 7 chords by resolving to an alternative minor chord, since that was the 'sound' I wanted. Like I used Dm instead of Ab major 7 in spots. That change automatically lead to other sets of progressions while I played. I'm an ear player all the way so I have to take chances, with the one consolation that anything can happen if it's played with a proper attitude and stays in character with the concept.

The main thing here was to focus on the emotion (reharming to enhance emotion), since emotion can be a casualty sometimes when throwing in various different chords. I don't want a chord or a progression to take precedence to the overall piece. And my last plan was to keep it loose, so I'd have a chance of making it work. Unacademic explanation translation is just "Duh."

Tom, Rainbow was nice - love the way you took liberties with the melody and voicings, especially on the first two A sections, which gave it a slight 'out' quality. Very cool.

Hey Dave, were you singing while you played that? I can't even talk while I play unless it's in time with the music.

you know I've been boiling this down like whale but I think Re-Harm is in alot of ways how alot of piano players really hear, you know like in their ear's heart like some kind of sanctum. truly weird and wonderful!

SK I like how you solved the harmonic thing and emotion through using a chord resolution to the alternative minor. I must admit I get bored harmonically also and your right, a bit emotionally beat up feeling by that now that you mention it. I guess sometimes it's just a matter of really trying to get to the stage of just hearing and then it works itself alittle more.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

you know I've been boiling this down like whale but I think RE-Harm is in alot of ways how alot of piano players really hear, you know like in their ear's heart.

Yes LB, when reharmonizing music, there's theory and different systems to understand, but it finally comes down to ear/heart choices for everybody. Just because some progression or chord can be applied to a tune doesn't mean it should be. If someone uses too much logic, it'll be cold and won't sound right.

BTW, you're an insightful 'dude' LB; you get to the heart of matters, which is probably in your playing too.

SK,

BTW, you're an insightful 'dude' LB; you get to the heart of matters, which is probably in your playing too.

Thanks SK! I like to believe there is a directness in my playing yeah! I wouldn't admit it to myself until very recently either for some reason talk about emotional concerns. And I do like insight yes! It helps! There are really alot of aspects to playing people don't consider but I can't think of any better place for door's to be dicovered in over a lifetime than in music, infinate. It really has something for anyone and it comes to them when they are ready! Best not to prioritize too much!

I like to hear and see insight's application in the world! like an insight junky yeah!

:blah:

If someone uses too much logic, it'll be cold and won't sound right.

..and the thread grinds to a halt. :) Kidding

Agreed! I'd love to hear you, lb. There's no reason you couldn't put up a tune that you've already recorded. Your style is your own.

Hey Dave. I thought you put that tune together just for me. :D At least on my file you're playing and singing at the same time. ;) And it occurred to me while listening to you, that this thread must really be bending my ear. All your substitutions ["sounded right", the way they should.]

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Qanqsu,

A good goal would be for me to put something up freshly recorded. Though I am a fairly serious player and still study at the ripe old age of 53, I work a day job (Systems Analyst/Software Developer)! So I'll try to record something new and maybe take a minor stab at re-harmonizing a part of it. But there is this, I haven't really recorded anything lately. It's from a Bossa groove and changes I found in Band-in-a-Box 2007 with Real Drums. It's a JV880 Acoustic bass patch and my CP300. Some of the chords are altered but not really re-harmonized. There is some drop out a few minutes in. I hit the record button accidentally on mix down on the Tascam. It's alittle smooth Jazz-e sounding, the BB tends to lend itself to that!

Cat's Cradle

(bring the volume up, the record levels were low)

They just cut my hours at work down by 20% which is scary and wonderful all at the same time! I'm already scheming to try and pick up some new piano students for Fridays and get a solo piano gig or two for the summer. I play with some local Blues and Swing outfits also. One plays some big shows actually usually as an opener and does some minor touring. I still enjoy playing the electric stuff but as I get older I find it less appealing as a pianist.

lb :D

Agreed! I'd love to hear you, lb. There's no reason you couldn't put up a tune that you've already recorded. Your style is your own.