Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Right SK, it kinda of happens at the same time as playing and in response to it. Feeling or a present sentiment, yeah!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Thanks Dave. Maybe you can 'remodel' Misty too, to add to the collection we started a page back. :deadhorse:

The one chorus somewhere around 2:something almost sounded like you were using Major instead of minor. Could be my ears are just tired but it had an interesting effect.

Haha, you're right... coming out of the gate on my solo, I heard a C major and just played it, because it seemed to sound right. I didn't know where the solo was going, but from a major chord it had to go somewhere, hopefully up from there.

Good luck on the kitchen. :)

Interesting chords on your Wine & Roses, vicsant.

I wrote a sick alternate melody to that song once. Maybe if I get the nerve sometime, I'll post it.

Thanks for listening SK. Btw, DD was amazing. Wish I could come up with something like that!

Here's Wine & Roses. I wrote this different melody years ago for a quartet. We played it maybe 3 times, and not since.

It's an eccentric piece, in different time signatures and keys. I wanted to remove the sophistication of the song, so I made it tongue in cheek, part Western and part bop. Much in the style of Richie Powell, who wrote Clifford Brown's witty arrangements of things like "Love Is A Many Splendored Thing" and "I Get A Kick Out Of You.

A rough track here - guitar and flute added afterwards. I played the trumpet patch for melody and solo in the right hand while I played the split bass lines, and no click track, one time through. So time is precarious, but it's only a quick sketch of this thing.

http://stashbox.org/511762/Days%20Of%20Wine%20%26%20Wagons.mov

Oops, should have gone under compositions - oh well.

SK -

Well you've done it again - taken a perfectly good song into your laboratory of diabolical and twisted harmonic and melodic genius and transmogrified it into a masterpiece!

The cow, crickets and rooster start things off perfectly and your combination of instruments for the melody and improv lines is terrific. I can't believe your playing this "freestyle" - your timing is impeccable. The switch to 6/8 is very cool indeed. Bass line is once again killin'.

You are constantly full of surprises. Keep it up! :thu:

Hey thanks, it's just another academic clash of the concepts.

I forgot about Proud Mary! That was the first song parody I ever tried. "Killer" version it was - to kill off an overly popular song by making people sit through it as an instrumental. High energy, extended vamp, drops into a soft baroque style flute/bass melody, followed by loud, dissonant guitar/moog solos. :rawk::sick:

Yesterday, I went through one of Henry's scores and was reminded of how well he could write melodies, like wine and roses, that would stick with me for so long. I must have first heard it when I was a kid and it's a wonderful melody to me. I figured I'll give him my props , too.

Really nice linwood. I'd like to hear a version without the tremolo, though. I guess it's a cool effect and everything, but I find it a bit distracting, esp. with headphones, it feels like my brain is being shaken. No offense meant, I have nothing but respect for your musical skills.

No offense taken, believe me. Sorry it distracts you. I've been playing one so long, I guess that's what a rhodes sounds like to me. Next time I'll do it with Ivory, but that doesn't feel like a piano to me...go figure. That rhodes is the scarbee and plays like the real thing. Really easy to play.

Linwood, you just succeeded in making "Wine and Roses" a listenable experience for me, and that's not an easy task. I've always *hated* that song. But your version sounds so deep and warm, I now almost love it! In fact, I want the whole song, not just the second half! :D

And almost forgot to mention Steve's version, driven by his usual crazy and irreverent genius. Before listening to Linwood's version, I would have said, "That's the right way to treat this song!" :D

Thanks, Steve. Yea, I love the scarbee. It's one of my fav VI's. A must have.

Yes, Richard. The scarbee comes with no efx. The efx are extra. You can dial in just about every type of rhodes you'll ever need with the efx package. I did a couple of the presets for the efx package. That's one of them there on W&R's. I guess I'm guilty of always using the tremolo or chorus in a rhodes. I don't use it straight off the harp much, for some reason. Chick always did and he sounds great. Me...I need something to take your ear away from my slop.

Thanks Carlo.

I can't stand "Days of wine and roses", always hated it, like Carlo. But Steve, that's sick! And Linwood, that was sweet. I was forced to do a polite arrangement of this song for singer Nina Ebbenhout, and this is what I came up with.

http://www.divshare.com/download/7374311-b4d

local: Korg Nautilus 73 | Yamaha MODX8

away: GigPerformer

home: Kawai RX-2 | Korg D1 | Roland Fantom X7

It's amazing that both SK and Linwood treated W&R as I would have expected. Zephonic, the check must have enabled doing a great job in arranging a tune you hate. Stellar job cats. :thu::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Very nice,Z! I think W&R is one of those tunes like Ipanema. I've had to play each of them so many times, back in the day, that I can easily hate 'em, but when I go back to the basic melody, they still work. Ipanema....I'm not sure who's I like better-Rit's, Eliane's, or Johnny Bowtie Barstow's. His is a classic.

Not exactly a reharm, but most definitely a harm: Hear what we were capable to reduce "Solar" to, at a recent gig with the quartet. After 5 minutes or so of more or less 'normal' solos, the sax player went nuts and launched the poor song into Chaos Zone.

Unfortunately, the piano is a vague buzz in the background... it was recorded with a camera's built-in mic. aaarrgghh.

Solar live

What a gorgeous version of Wine & Roses, Carlo! :thu:

(kidding) Nooo... I knew it was Solar :D but for a second my brain was still expecting to hear W&R. :laugh:

The sax player has a lot of Eric Dolphy influence. He's really assimilated a lot from him and other players - good chops.

That was fun to hear, although I wish I could have heard you better. And it's almost nostalgic... I've done quite a bit of that type of intense free playing over the years. Thanks for letting us hear it. :)

What a gorgeous version of Wine & Roses, Carlo! :thu:

(kidding) Nooo... I knew it was Solar :D but for a second my brain was still expecting to hear W&R. :laugh:

OK... you asked for it. :D

The Days of Wine and Roses

Performance is very sloppy, as I tried to improvise everything on the fly, as I went along.

The sax player has a lot of Eric Dolphy influence. He's really assimilated a lot from him and other players - good chops.

Sandro is great. If you had heard the first part of his solo, it's like he was another player. Perfect post-bop elegant melodic phrasing... :freak:

Well, I didn't actually ask for another W&R, but I'm glad you did it! That's one of my favorite things you've done, Carlo. Very original.

The concept works perfectly, the harmonic ideas are all over the place, and I really liked it.

Favorite chord again: may have been the G maj9 at the top of an A section, followed by descending whole tone voicings, which made the melody poignant. Also an Amaj7 under the Db melody note, ordinarily a Bbm or Eb7 chord.

If it was sloppy, I couldn't tell. When the concept is right, nothing else much matters. The one chord I sort of expected to hear slightly differently was the chord on the last highest E melody note - which I imagined might be an extreme unresolved voicing (possibly whole tones) as a climax to all that went before it. Not a criticism at all, but it just led my ear there.

Beautiful. :thu: I listened to it once, but I'll listen again.

Marino,

Debussy would be proud (W & R)!

lb

o hear W&R. :laugh:

OK... you asked for it. :D

The Days of Wine and Roses

Performance is very sloppy, as I tried to improvise everything on the fly, as I went along.

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Linwood,

Lush as usual, beautiful re-harm! I love that melody!

lb

Yesterday, I went through one of Henry's scores and was reminded of how well he could write melodies, like wine and roses, that would stick with me for so long. I must have first heard it when I was a kid and it's a wonderful melody to me. I figured I'll give him my props , too.