Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Reharm Room

hold on, whats up with this thing!

I don't know what's up with eSnips, but I can't hear your file. (gotta run!-

Sorry about that, lb!

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sue,

Try this now, 1st time on DS, so! The volume comes across lower than it was on ESNIPS (my original low record level), you'll have to raise it!

Cat's Cradle

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Tony! This is great. Love that easy groove. No, not so easy :D but just that whole feel of letting the music come to you rather than chasing it.

This thread has introduced me to a lot of new tunes. I was half expecting Harry Chapin. Duhhh.

Thank you! A keeper.

"........! Try to make It..REAL! compared to what? ! ! ! " - BOPBEEPER

Thanks Sue, as with all of us, our music is a work in progress and I'm a lif-er! The real keeper is the music itself, were lucky we have it, but thank you again!

Nice posture on that guy. Wonder if he'd pass the fly-away wrist test.

Hey Floyd! I thought that was an interesting question you posed to SK:

"I'm curious about your creative process - is some of that free-improvised in the moment, and some is charted? How much of each?"

If we could stay on topic and keep the dialogue going.. What's your process?

I've always considered reharmonization to be synonymous with improvisation; committing to paper more of a compositional effort.

Can You Tell I'm Confused. :D

I like the idea of no particular destination.

My question to SK was basically 'how much of it was made up on the spot versus composed ahead of time'. Listening to it, it sounded to me like Steve had free-improvised some of it, I wanted to know how much.

I can't speak for everyone, but I would imagine that most of the reharms done in this thread were pre-composed. At least, the basic framework - form, chord changes, melody. I would think most guys wrote out a lead sheet, or at least scribbled some chords on a piece of paper - in a lot of the posts in this thread, guys had links to lead sheets and charts, in addition to audio. If they have good memories, maybe they kept it in their heads, but it still would have been thought out ahead of time.

I've always considered reharmonization to be synonymous with improvisation; committing to paper more of a compositional effort.

I think reharmonization is more synonymous with composition than improvisation. I would say, it's usually composed, and optionally, put on paper. The actual execution of it, the playing, can be improvised. Or, it could be written out note-for-note. There's no rule. Some people can make everything up entirely on the spot, free-improvised. I can do that, but the results are usually not very good. I like to improvise from a framework.

If you're playing alone, it's easier to totally free-improvise. If other musicians are involved, it becomes very hard to not have any structure. I guess that's self-evident.

In this thread, we've been doing mostly jazz-style reharms of standards, but it doesn't have to be that. You could reharmonize a hymn, and write it out note-for-note, if you wanted, for example.

I do reharmonize hymns all the time - I view the hymn book as an outline. Beautiful in it's simplicity for one reflective verse maybe. It becomes an issue when there are note readers who don't listen beyond their own voice. I've tried scoring and get bogged down with too much time and too many choices.

This I suppose is directly related to the idea of what makes a jazz pianist. I'm almost afraid to have the "secret unveiled"... it's a beautiful thing to hear a trio seemingly think with one mind.

Appreciate your response.

You're welcome.

I do reharmonize hymns all the time - I view the hymn book as an outline. Beautiful in it's simplicity for one reflective verse maybe. It becomes an issue when there are note readers who don't listen beyond their own voice. I've tried scoring and get bogged down with too much time and too many choices.

I don't understand what that means. Come again?

You're welcome.

I don't understand what that means. Come again?

haha, what part don't you get? I'm not usually the only one in church. Attendance is bad, but not that bad.

Oh. Ok, I don't "reharmonize", I improvise.

In fact, the activity was unknown to me pre-forum.

SK,

Thanks!

I think I'm starting to get with Re-Harm a little bit. I've been playing around with 'These Foolish Things' and I cracked open the Levine book again. Good inspiration in this thread!

lb

Good to hear you, LB. You said this one's not quite a reharm, still, you have an authentic, behind the beat feel, relaxed phrasing - you play with sincerity. Sounds good, LB. :thu:

Floyd Tatum,

The guy I study with is 68 years old and a stone improviser. A real be-bop player. Good classical player also. The thing that knocks me out about him is that he can, on the spot 'reharmonize' a melody or his improvised line for that matter using a drop 2 voicing. I guess that would be one of the ways to ride the line with an improvised re-harm that's not written out!

Another thing related to the drop two or a locked hands/block chord approach is Lennie Tristano's 'Formations'. They would also allow a type of re-harmonize on the spot. I posted all the major formations last year I think. I personally haven't re-investigated them in some time! Larry Bluth the guy I study with will blow using either the Tristano formations or drop two, or drop three for that matter on the fly. I just watch in amazement. I really don't have that kind of time to work through all of that material and work on applying it in my blowing!

That's a very modern paradigm I would say! I would think Zawinul was hep to things like that and their application, people like that. Maybe people here also I don't know!

Richard, I like the way you sound/play regardless of whats totally improvised and what's not.

lb

My question to SK was basically 'how much of it was made up on the spot versus composed ahead of time'. Listening to it, it sounded to me like SK had free-improvised some of it, I wanted to know how much.

I can't speak for everyone, but I would imagine that most of the reharms done in this thread were pre-composed. At least, the basic framework - form, chord changes, melody. I would think most guys wrote out a lead sheet, or at least scribbled some chords on a piece of paper - in a lot of the posts in this thread, guys had links to lead sheets and charts, in addition to audio. If they have good memories, maybe they kept it in their heads, but it still would have been thought out ahead of time.

I think reharmonization is more synonymous with composition than improvisation, usually. I would say, it's usually composed, and optionally, put on paper. The actual execution of it, the playing, can be improvised. Or, it could be written out note-for-note. There's no rule. Some people can just make everything up on the spot, I guess, but not me. Well, actually, I can do that, but the results are usually not very good. I improvise, but I like to have some form to work from - melody, chord changes, form.

If you're playing alone, it's easier to totally 'wing it' in the moment (melody, changes, form). If other musicians are involved, it becomes very hard to not have any structure.

In this thread, we've been doing mostly jazz-style reharms of standards. But it doesn't have to be that. You could reharmonize a hymn, and write it out note-for-note, if you wanted, for example.

Sigh.

I came to the Room, I have a little time (a rare event), some new contributors showed, and... I discover that my connection is blocked again. I can't download or upload anything. After many calls to the company, it's still in the same state.

Plus, tomorrow is Election's Day. The two most important election rounds, in the same day. And it's pratically certain that by Tuesday, my country will be changed for the worse.

I'm angry and upset... maybe the best thing to do tonight is going to bed earlier. Bye.

Floyd, yeah, reharm is closest to the process of composition. For me, it's closer to improvisation WHEN I reharm on the spot. If I reharm in advance of playing the music, then it's closer to composing. I've come to believe we use different parts of our brains for composing and improvising. (If I'm in a composing mode, it's harder to improvise, and vice versa.)

The songs I pre-reharmed in advance here were "I'll Take Romance", the first take of WCITT and a couple others, and I mentioned which ones were spontaneous (off the cuff) all the way through. But I still improvise lines and chords on all these so none are written in stone, if that makes it more clear.

Marino,

Are you getting a hard-liner voted in over there?

Sigh.

I came to the Room, I have a little time (a rare event), some new contributors showed, and... I discover that my connection is blocked again. I can't download or upload anything. After many calls to the company, it's still in the same state.

Plus, tomorrow is Election's Day. The two most important election rounds, in the same day. And it's pratically certain that by Tuesday, my country will be changed for the worse.

I'm angry and upset... maybe the best thing to do tonight is going to bed earlier. Bye.

Yeah Carlo, if you get the chance, fill us in on what's going on over there.

In case anyone is interested, tomorrow night (Sunday, April 13th) at 11PM on WBGO-FM in NY, Bill Kirchner is interviewing my bari sax friend Glenn Wilson. They'll be talking about and playing some stuff he recorded with me and also with pianist Harold Danko and others. Not sure what they'll play, but it could be fun - Glenn's a funny guy.

Just a few minutes to peek an do some homework... wow! A lot of wonderful music posted lately.

I absolutely loved both Richard's and Steve's versions of Who Can I Turn To. Quite different hamonically, with Steve taking a more spontaneous approach, both versions convey a feel of concentrated meditation and illustrate the lyrics very well. (I have no idea if that was your intention, but the results are such! :D )

7note's "Over the rainbow" is a gem too. Not too adventurous in the reharm, but perfect for the playing style, and with the right little surprises at the right points. A perfect balance of elements.

Then there's Mark's "Waltz for Debby"... a great, dark interpretation. The two pedal-like chords are ominous and hypnotic at the same time. Amazing job.

Guys, I got the impression that you would sound great playing Jingle Bells... :D

As for me, I have a few surreal deadlines ahead... but I'll try to be present somehow, to say hi if nothing else.

Hi... :D