Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!!

Thanks for the tips and help folks - I hear what you're saying ! Corrections forthcoming ! I'm trying to perfect my new m/s mastering technique by reaching down into some older stereo mixes and seeing how much mastering control I actually have. Most of my jams and demos have varying degrees of completeness - some I guess would just be good for loops ! And I need to bake some tapes too for complete remixes but that's another story. schmee, WF, all you guys are very inspirational from surf to Green Eyed Lady to out past Neptune ! I've still got some listening to do but my speakers are all packed - I'm just in headphones... :cry: State of the art halljams ! - the wife and I listened to ruckyboy last night! hehe very smart

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
alcohol... fun kinda a beatle feel type of tune. As halljams mentions the bass seems a bit out of balance. Don't turn it down, rather warm the guitars up a bit and bring their levels up a bit. Vocals seem way too dry for my taste. I enjoyed it. Keep havin fun.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

[url=http://www.neonflame.com/theralphshow/audio/closer.mp3]Closer to Never[/url] [quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b]No, the honor is mine bud. :) Disclaimer: It's a rough mix folks... ;) I still have work to do on it.[/b][/quote]Good tune. I heard those Beatles references... Total 'World Cafe' material. I understand the mix was rough, but I'll go ahead and offer my thoughts anyway. :p It sounds a little cold to me. The drums are thinner than I like. And there were a lot of high end attack transients competing against the voice for my attention. The tamborine was one of them. I also thought the vox were mixed too low. Okay...there I said it. I wasn't going to comment, but I feel obliged to offer feedback if I listen to someone's tune.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by no_talent_Bum: [b]I finally almost have this song sounding the way I want it to. Except for the weak vocals. But I like the guitars now. http://www.funkmusician.com/HELLnEcstasy.mp3 [/b][/quote]Cool tune. The vocals are mixed a little too hot, and I feel that the mids could be cut a little bit, but they sound great. The drums sound good, but the crash cymbal gives it away that they are electronics. Also, they could use a little more bottom. What kind of drums did you use? The guitar has a cool crunch, but I feel like it's in the spotlight too often. Certain parts- like intros- sound great, but other parts sound like it should back off a little bit. There are some backing instruments -at least one other guitar- that are too far off in the background. I feel like they could be adding a lot more to the track than they are. I would dump them up a little in the mix. Cool tune overall, however!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by alcohol_: [b] My humble submission. Pointers please, anyone. [url=http://music.multifarity.com/nottheone.mp3]Not the One[/url] [/b][/quote]I LOVE it! I wish I could hear the snare drum as well as I can hear the cymbals, but everything else is pure garage satifaction!

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by WFTurner: [b]By necessity, composing has become a mental exercise, hence I pretty much completely softsynth driven anymore. A few things of lately. [url=http://www.turnersongs.com/Surfin%20The%20Beaches%20Of%20Neptune.mp3]Surfin The Beaches Of Neptune[/url] [url=http://www.turnersongs.com/The%20Fading%20Glow%20Of%20Hope.mp3]The Fading Glow Of Hope[/url] [/b][/quote]This stuff is almost surreal! It just has a very strange feel to it. I'm not nuts about some of the sounds. Compositionally, I think I know where you are going. But the presentation is just bizarre. So much going on in every direction. I also listened to "April's Garden" on your website. Very strange. I don't mean any of this in a bad way. It just has a really intense sound and feel to it. Like I said, 'surreal'....like looking at a colorized movie.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

[quote]Originally posted by KHAN: [b]Some classic oldies here from my cover band 'Jack The Dog'. [url=http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=3041&alid=-1]CLICK[/url] [b]MMS[/b] is 'Make Me Smile' by Chicago. This track isn't finished yet. We still have BG vox and percussion to add. [b]NT[/b] is 'No Time' by The Guess Who. [b]GEL[/b] is 'Green Eyed Lady' by Sugarloaf. Enjoy. (I hope) :D Oh yeah. I did these on Digital Performer. :) [/b][/quote]I only listened to "Green Eyed Lady". I've always liked that song. You guys are VERY close to the original. I enjoyed it a lot. I'll have to check out the rest later.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Hey Halljams...if you have the time, I'd appreciate if you'd listen to this little jazz tune through your ADAMS. The track is very hot overall but it [b]should[/b] be clean...can you tell me if you're hearing any distortion (other than the overdrive in the organ and the rez in the bass)? Someone told me today that he heard some distortion...I suppose it could be the Kick drum because I recorded that especially hot but I just can't tell anymore...what do you think? "What?" http://www.artistlaunch.com/sleblanc unfortunately it's an MP3 (encoded at 192kbps) so there could be artifacts...I don't know...I just know I don't really have the speakers to tell. or anyone else? thanks

Very nice Stephen - I had to pack away my speakers (they were powered Alesis M1s anyway, hehe) so I listened on a set of Senn HD600 and Beyer DT770. IMO the beautiful keyboard is a bit wider than it should be (?) - it sounds great of course but it sits over top of the kick drum. In addition - I guess you are playing keyboard bass or at least allowing the lower register of the keys to sit where a bass guitar (or fiddle, hehe) usually sits. The texture of the key bass is leslie-ish ('scuse my ignorance) in the respect that it seems a little overdriven or rectified. I think with those 2 things happening when the drummer actually kicks it's a little much for Mr. Ear to make out what's happening so it seems a bit distorted - is the sense - it's not really but I guess the masking and texture of the keys trick you. My spectrum analyzer shows a good dose of 20-25 Hz so it's just as well that I didn't have my speakers hooked up, hehe - but they can't reproduce that very well anyway. My 2cents - A very fine tune ! :wave:

[quote]Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc: [b]Hey Halljams...if you have the time, I'd appreciate if you'd listen to this little jazz tune through your ADAMS. The track is very hot overall but it [b]should[/b] be clean...can you tell me if you're hearing any distortion (other than the overdrive in the organ and the rez in the bass)? Someone told me today that he heard some distortion...I suppose it could be the Kick drum because I recorded that especially hot but I just can't tell anymore...what do you think? "What?" http://www.artistlaunch.com/sleblanc unfortunately it's an MP3 (encoded at 192kbps) so there could be artifacts...I don't know...I just know I don't really have the speakers to tell. or anyone else? thanks[/b][/quote]I'll check it in the morning Steve. I'm wiped.

[quote]Originally posted by kylen: [b]Very nice Stephen - I had to pack away my speakers (they were powered Alesis M1s anyway, hehe) so I listened on a set of Senn HD600 and Beyer DT770. IMO the beautiful keyboard is a bit wider than it should be (?) - it sounds great of course but it sits over top of the kick drum. In addition - I guess you are playing keyboard bass or at least allowing the lower register of the keys to sit where a bass guitar (or fiddle, hehe) usually sits. The texture of the key bass is leslie-ish ('scuse my ignorance) in the respect that it seems a little overdriven or rectified. I think with those 2 things happening when the drummer actually kicks it's a little much for Mr. Ear to make out what's happening so it seems a bit distorted - is the sense - it's not really but I guess the masking and texture of the keys trick you. My spectrum analyzer shows a good dose of 20-25 Hz so it's just as well that I didn't have my speakers hooked up, hehe - but they can't reproduce that very well anyway. My 2cents - A very fine tune ! :wave: [/b][/quote]Thanks Kylen. Yeah that 20-25 Hz is probably mostly from the Kick drum but could also be in the guitar. I've already done a new mix that isn't as hot and everything is more balanced. The bass cuts through better in the new mix too, however, I think it's lazy of me to not cut a real bass track on it. I'm gonna give it a go, might really open the mix up. I'm glad you didn't hear any actual distortion, I was a little worried my ears were failing me. :) The bass has a bit of rez in it that might irritate some ears. I'll try and upload my new mix tomorrow, in the meantime listeners might roll off 30hz and below first. :)

There definately is distortion but it's from that one synth. It breaks up in a crazy way when you go down in that lower octave. But the recording is really good. Nice and clear. The drums come across a bit boxy and a little plain sounding for this style i find, it reminds me of some yellow jackets i have heard. I think some nice bass guitar (perhaps you could hunt down mr Haslip) would really take this tune on up where it belongs. :)

[quote]Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc: [b]thanks for checking it out...yeah I'll tweak the mix a bit more and I am going to try to record some real bass thanks[/b][/quote]Stephen, I'll grab it sometime today, burn it to a data CD, take it out back to the studio and play it on the S3-A's and see what impressive playing you're going to amaze me with this time. ;) I'll get back to you with my thoughts in a bit. :)

[quote]Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Stephen LeBlanc: [b]thanks for checking it out...yeah I'll tweak the mix a bit more and I am going to try to record some real bass thanks[/b][/quote]Stephen, I'll grab it sometime today, burn it to a data CD, take it out back to the studio and play it on the S3-A's and see what impressive playing you're going to amaze me with this time. ;) [/b][/quote]heh...ok, this will be kinda interesting because I just uploaded a new mix about 20 minutes ago...very interested in what it sounds like through the S3As of course. I'm going to be doing a few more of these jazz fusion tunes, I've got a bunch of these compositions that I never recorded, now that my garage studio is shaping up I'll finally get to them all...maybe release a CD of them for fun.

Thanks Mr. Turner...I sometimes wonder if I'm crazy to be uploading all these jams...nice to know someone's digging them :) ok, fwiw, I recorded a Bass part using my brother's Rick today...I left the synth bass in for support but it's really low in the mix now. I uploaded a new mix with the bass just now but listening to it the kick might be too loud now. If I do another mix tonight (after the Lakers beat Houston) the kick is probably all I'll change. http://www.artistlaunch.com/sleblanc and the jams :) : http://www.jamfree.com/

Songrytr, Phil O Keefe, Great song, well recorded, the instruments sound good. I know it's a rough mix. Only criticism is the high pitched organ, seems to be working against the cymbals or something. I would voice the organ a little lower and play more sustained. Just an opinion. Real good work.

schmee, re 387 nice funky groove. Liked the laid back vocal approach and the funky drums. Instrumentation was interesting too. Just think that an occassional change in instrumental texture, laying out the organ or guitar, some variation would bring it home. thoth, Like this one, nice sense of humor to the tune.

Alright here goes. There is a phasing problem on the vocal reverb return on one of the two songs but what the heck, let me know what you think of the songs. We're a garage band of fiftyish fogies that can't let the seventies go. If you can avoid the LoFi and computer speakers you'll hear more of what we sound like, hope you like it, Paul. http://www.soundclick.com/bands/9/steelmiragepaulprechtmusic.htm

God, this thread has been around a long time! I was going through some boxes and found a mono cassette demo of a song I wrote in 1968 (you really don't need to hear the cassette). I thought it might be fun to re-record it, so I did last weekend. GY [url=http://www.gymusic.com/misc/WalkinDownTheRoad_5.mp3]Walkin\' Down The Road[/url]

GY

Hey I loved it GY. Has a nice nastogic electric folk/Beatles feel to it. I love the arrangement, especially the harmonies. You voice has a touch of a McCartney twist to it. On my speakers the balance and tone is splendid! Nice Job. :thu: :cool: :thu:

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

Stephen, I got your PM... I've tried to D/L "What", but it looks like it will only stream from that site. I need to be able to D/L it on the house PC so I can burn it to disk and take it into the studio (no internet on the DAW PC) so I can check it on the ADAM's. Can you stick it on a FTP or other (non-streaming site) so I can grab it? I want to help you out, but it's not working from here as is. Oh, and FWIW, when I tried to stream it, it D/L's 99% into Win Media Player and then hangs, so I can not even check it out on my cheap PC speakers. :(

hmmm, very strange There's a DOWNLOAD link next to the hifi/lofi play buttons...it's just a [b]text link[/b] to the mp3 file...try "right click Save AS" there and see if it will download. I dunno, maybe artistlaunch.com was having server overloads today...it just worked for me.

[quote]Originally posted by WFTurner: [b] You voice has a touch of a McCartney twist to it. [/b][/quote]I was thinking the exact same thing. Very nice song. Were those drums electronic or acoustic? The toms sounded electronic, but the cymbals sounded acoustic. Vocals sounded great. What kind of mic was that?

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Archived