Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!!

Can you all help me out here? I'm trying to get some feedback on guitars that I am building. I have mp3's posted here: http://electrocoustic.com/mp3.html There are several styles to choose from; I'd just like to get some criticism of the available tonal pallette. The guitar is all solid cedar, with a carved top and reverse carved back. The pickup system is a hybrid magnetic/piezo. The recording was done through a tube mic preamp, then to the computer. Here's a photo, and thanks for the listen. [img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1398431&a=10473270&p=38833112[/img]

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
stevepow: I put the yelling in toward the end of the process. It adds a certain electricity to the thing. I recorded the yells wild and placed them where I thought they should go. You are right, though, there may be too many of them and/or maybe not enough variety. Chip: thank you for your detailed suggestions. Maybe drying up the bass a little would help it. It is panned center, but the room may be throwing it off a little. As far as the vocal treatment is concerned, I did another song with the lead vocal going through the AC30 setting on Amp farm. It has that Bullet sound. On one of the verses I turned on the tremelo which was quite a treat. If I can find any server space, I'll post that one as well. And cutting a minute out of it: maybe some of the end could go. I'm afraid that I'm too self-indulgent to pull the trigger... Anyway, thanks again.
Prozak for Lovers II -- even more trouble than the first.

Nice tune Bruce! And as an avid blues enthusiast I would say that it "mostly" has me convinced. Only 2 dead giveaways: 1) the guitars are cool but a little too loud and dry. And maybe a little bit too in time. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] 2) (most obvious) the drums do sound fake. Well not so much the drums themselves but the ride cymbal in particular grated on my nerves and sounded stiff. If you are able to mix the individual drums, try turning the ride down drastically and cutting some of that shrill high end out of it - ain't no way an old tape deck would be picking up that crap. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] And try mixing it up with some hi hat a little so it's not the same thing all the way through. Some of the fills sound a bit fake as well, but most are pretty cool for sampled drums. The reverb sounds great! And don't change a thing about the yells - if you tried to clean those up it would be WAAYY too white. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] --Lee

>>try turning the ride down drastically and cutting some of that shrill high end out of it - ain't no way an old tape deck would be picking up that crap.<< We were just discussing this on another thread - how digital recording picks up "brittle" and "shrill" qualities in certain instruments that we're not used to hearing on analog tape, and how you have to be vigilant about that if you're recording to digital. Especially with ever-increasing conversion rates (Roland DAW's are at 24 bit now), that high degree of accuracy has a tendancy to put sharp edges on things. Perhaps future DAW's will have an "anti-aliasing" feature that can smooth some of that stuff off, in effect simulating analog tape. BTW - anyone using MIDI should go check the NAMM thread: FireWire is coming... This message has been edited by Curve Dominant on 01-22-2001 at 05:49 PM

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

The 808 has gone out of style, Jerry, you should have gotten an E-Tribe instead. 32 plays for $0.00 - wow, another big-time release from Blac-Lite (and that is SUCH an appropriate name for you boys). Coaster's never going to be able to buy that new wood chipper with those kinds of sales. At least Mikey racked up $26.96 with his release. Go ahead, make me laugh some more. I'm starting to enjoy this.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

For the third time: Curve, WHERE IS YOUR MUSIC?!!! It must be just total crap. You refuse to post it anywhere because you KNOW you will get the sh*t knocked out of you. You claim to have an album on the way, but have evaded all questions as to when & where it it will be sold. I would think you would want to at least promote it in that way. You're a joke. Everyone - EVERYONE ELSE HERE has music posted somewhere. Not you, though. The point of this whole thing is to hear each other's work and share some helpful advice. Read carefully: I ADVISE YOU TO EITHER PUT UP OR SHUT UP. I challenge you to post just one song somewhere in the next week. ONE SONG! Come on, jam master-phat-dominugget-curly-fry. We're all waiting.......

Additional thoughts for Curve to sweat over: 1. You wrote previously that you would have no music available on the net until your "next cd is in the stores". If this is a "next cd", why not post something from your "last cd"? Certainly you must have secured the copyrights for that by now. 2. In the same post, you wrote that you originally had no intention of of getting involved with this thread, but you found something you liked and couldn't help but rave about it. But somebody disagreed with you, and you got "dragged into this bullsh*t. "Seems to me you not only instigated said bullsh*t, but you jumped into it head-first.(?) 3. If you in fact have a cd coming out, you must have a label. What is your label's name/web address? Is this top secret stuff too? I suspect you will avoid all of these questions, much like you've avoided many other questions by myself and others here. Just the same old song and Dance, (or not) brought to us all by The Philly Cream Cheese King - right?

alright steve sklar, how the hell you sing like that? thats f'ing cool as shit. sounds like those budda chants. the girl you got singing for you i would guess to some has a good voice but it drives me nuts. stevepow, thanks for your comments. i have no idea why the merle is bass heavy... the guy who mixed it fucked it all up but i wouldnt say its the bass except for the lowmid mud going on. i actually just rerecorded that song along with four other new ones that kill that version. tdb on the other hand was done when i just got my nearfields and what can i say, the bass management completely got away from me... the snare sample bugs the fuck out of me now that i listened back. that stuff is me fucking around all baked and shit killing some time but just too damn busy lately to fix any of it... one day i'll get back around to updating those cuts. damn, what a brawl going on in here now. i wonder why there were so many pages. i call a bunch of bullshit about not posting any songs curve unless you are SIGNED to a label and your only reprieve would be telling us what label your under. first of all, if it ever makes it in stores it can eaily be ripped and put on the net to begin with. secondly, copyright law is the same on the net as in real life... hence the lawsuits. i would get a new lawyer cause hes a fucking moron.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Yo Alpha whassup - you should know the deal. I get quarterly cheques from ASCAP, so posting free sh*t on MP3.com would not be pro-active for my particular situation. If I post free material, I give carte blanche to free publication et al. This is the issue that these clowns from Fargo North Dakota do not understand, because they are small-timers who do not understand how our business works. It's one thing for me and Chip to go at it - Chip is part of "the Family," and I'm cool with Chip, and he knows we're cool at the end of the day. But coaster & mike petrick & their buddies are newbies who are just mucking up our thing. I don't have "a" lawyer - I am in constant contact with several entertainment lawyers who all represent Grammy-award winning clients. Remember: this is Philadelphia, not Fargo North Dakota. For hobbie-ists to post entire releases on MP3.com is understandable. For working composers, it makes no sense at all - from a business standpoint, it would be downright stupid. And this is where some of the folks who have been flaming me on this thread are making themselves out to be fools: only artistes who have given up on their art would give it away.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Yo Alpha, since you dis-trust me so much, and after we've been posting together all this time, I will xerox my next statement from ASCAP and send it to ya. But bear this in mind: that $ amount is between you & me. Because what we do is not about the $$$. Why did you get into this - for $$$? You'all are really showing your true colors here. If you want to make $$$, then sell drugs. I'm an artist, and what goes around comes around.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Normally, I wouldn't join in the fray, but there are such GLARING inconsistencies here, I've gotta jump. Curve, you say, it's not about the money, it's about the art, but you won't post anything because it would endanger your ASCAP checks. ?????? What makes anyone else a "small-timer" ??? Are the "small timer's" just not making enough cash to be in your league??? Also the "I'm in Philadelphia, you're in North Dakota" thing is just lame. And no, I'm not from North Dakota. You're in a pretty precarious spot. You've talked ALOT of shit and now the prospect of getting it back X 10 is a little daunting. another small timer, Michael back to the topic at hand: http://www.mp3.com/spillingpoetry

Well - Curve, you certainly know how to incite a riot. Let's see now - you said the internet is for musicians who have given up on their music? The only thing I can say I have 'given up on' is finding some major label for a free ride. There's always some A&R jerk who just says that our music is too good and that we're too diverse. They don't know how to market us because we can't be pigeon-holed into some little pop or rock genre and be promoted like a Backstreet Boys or N'Sync. What we have done is this: We have released two self produced CDs over the last 3 1/2 years and promoted them almost exclusively over the internet. In that time, I have placed us on over 250 websites around the world that promote, review, stream audio and/or video, distribute, and broadcast our music, including all the major sites such as MP3.com, Amazon.com, CDBaby, The All Music Guide, and tons of others, with more coming every day. The latest Lycos search for 'onoffon' yields 1,439 links, and Google has 1,450. I've had an article written about me, published in Rockpile magazine, not about our music, but about our promotional prowess, calling us kings of getting our music out there. We've appeared in prog rock mags in Sweden, the U.K., and the U.S., with reviews and interviews. But we also have more than 50 outstanding reviews from all around the world, with one reviewer saying our latest release, "is one of the greatest albums of all time by any artist". (He said that - not me). I've placed music from our CDs in a half dozen film/video productions which we receive airplay regularly. Plus we're getting radio airplay at every little underground broadcaster that hears us. All reviews we receive are posted, with there respective links, throughout our website. We receive monthly deposits from Mp3.com, quarterly checks from BMI for performance royalties, regular payments from Amazon.com and CDBaby for CD sales, royalties from IUMA, AmpCast.com and soon from JavaMusic.com. And we're gigging regularly in our local area, opening for Acoustic Alchemy and Willie & Lobo at the Roxy, just last November. Oh BTW, we're in Studio City - the center of the known entertainment universe. Los Angeles, you know, the toughest musical arena in the world to compete in. And I've done all this myself, from my little home computer in my living room. The internet has opened doors for independent musicians like never before in music history. Granted we're still struggling because we don't have the distributional machines of a Universal or Warner Bros. But given up??????????? Dream on! Von from ONOFFON http://www.onoffon.com/ http://www.mp3.com/onoffon http://www.jazzinhollywood.com/ http://www.mp3.com/jazzinhollywood

Hi Alpha, The "monk-like" singing is a Tuvan khoomei (throat-singing) style called Kargyraa. This style involves learning to sing with the ventricular folds as well as the vocal folds. Various throat and mouth techniques then allow control over the harmonics which are emphasized for melody, etc. The higher flute-like sounds in the middle of "Siberia" (and easier to hear at the beginning and elswhere in our song, "Fire in the Water" is called Sygyt. Throat and mouth techniques are different from Kargyraa, and the result is a midrange drone with melodies of high, piercing harmonics octaves above the fundamental. Did you realize that was human voice, too? [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img] Sorry you didn't like Johnna's voice; it's a first, but that's ok. Nothing's for everybody, right? I have a khoomei page at http://www.atech.org/khoomei/khoomei.html . While badly overdue for an overhaul, it's got lotsa good info, including videos of singers from Tuva, Mongolia, and yers truly, in MN. Also, my Tuvan teachers/brats Huun-Huur-Tu have a site at [url=http://www.huunhuurtu.com]www.huunhuurtu.com[/url] . Those guys are MONSTERS!!! Thanks, Steve Sklar/Big Sky [url=http://www.bigskyrocks.com]www.bigskyrocks.com[/url]

Curve, we can all easily go audition GM's, Graig's, Ed's, Roger's, DaveR's, Al's, DaveF's, Julian's, etc, etc, etc work. Are they all in some other type of business? Even amazon.com has "clips" of material they are selling for every bloody artist on the planet - is not even one of them yours that you can point us too? I have to agree - I don't think anyone gets your [i]secret music[/i] society thing. I will say that you guys pissing on each other along with that dude trying to SELL GUITARS [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/mad.gif[/img] have really hosed up this thread. Craig - if you bother reading down this far, could you do us all a service and delete all the banter that is not an actual critique of someone's music. This post included. Thanks.

Steve Powell - Bull Moon Digital

www.bullmoondigital.com

For stevepow- I'm sorry if I offended you; I am just trying to get an honest opinion of the sound of my guitars...if this isn't the right forum for getting the opinion of some experienced folks, then please point me in that direction. If there is a person on here who has posted an mp3 and IS NOT, even just a bit, in the self-promotion mode, please speak up. I have a new product here, a new way of doing an acoustic/electric hybrid. I do have something to contribute to the industry, and yes, I would like to make a living from it. I NEED the input from professionals and amateurs alike if I'm to continue to improve and innovate(believe me, I'm tough, I can take the criticism). If I'm way off base, let me know. Dave [url=http://www.electrocoustic.com]www.electrocoustic.com[/url]

dave: i think this is a forum for people with nothing better to do than chew each other out. Mr Anderton was nice enough to offer to listen to our tracks, but we got these dudes at each other's throats. meanwhile, im sure no one's bothered going to http://www.mp3.com/011001 which is the point of this forum - to hear each others music. so who else has tunes? i'd be glad to hear them...

-=| i.make..sound... |=-

-=| www.digitalianation.com |=-

Digitalia isn't bad. I listened to Joy Part 1, Omniscient, and Black Smoke. You have a nice touch with sound, texture, and mood. You also know how to create dimension in your music by juxtaposing elements that contrast each other. You need to work on development. Your pieces set up the listener for a break-out, but it doesn't come - they are very linear. There needs to be a key-change or a tempo change that shifts the piece into another gear. But you have a lot of potential for soundtrack work. BTW - I also agree with Digitalia that there is way too much bickering going on here. I'm flattered that you'all want to hear something from the Curve, so I will post something. Give me a few days to figure out what.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

digitalia- I listened to "Joy-Part 1"... In all honesty, I don't understand it(I'm not much past the Jazz age)...however, it did evoke some feelings and a sense of time and place... I saw a deserted, nightime beach, post/industrial/wasteland, where the black of the night sky, punctuated by hazy starlight, meets a blacker-than-the-void sea.... Other than the tom-tom being a bit to bright and in the foreground, this could work as a setup for an apocolyptic movie scene... Hope this is what you were looking for...now I'll listen a second time as my computer just now caught up for the "hi-fi" version.... Regards, Dave

Digitalia isn't bad. I listened to Joy Part 1, Omniscient, and Black Smoke. You have a nice touch with sound, texture, and mood. You also know how to create dimension in your music by juxtaposing elements that contrast each other. You need to work on development. Your pieces set up the listener for a break-out, but it doesn't come - they are very linear. There needs to be a key-change or a tempo change that shifts the piece into another gear. But you have a lot of potential for soundtrack work. BTW - I also agree with Digitalia that there is way too much bickering going on here. Y'all gotta chill out. I'm flattered that y'all want to hear something, so I will post something. Give me a few days to figure out what. I put out a CD a few years ago that isn't getting much play lately, so maybe something from that.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

>>You need to work on development. Your pieces set up the listener for a break-out, but it doesn't come - they are very linear. There needs to be a key-change or a tempo change that shifts the piece into another gear. But you have a lot of potential for soundtrack work. Now, this is the kind of critique that should be helpful and unoffensive...the kind of critique one would expect from a producer listening to their stuff..."Not bad, needs a bit more on the bridge". That's how stuff gets molded from the "raw material" to "finished product" stage. True, we can't all see into one another's heads and understand all their trying to imply. I would be a bad one to critique, say, hip hop or death metal, because it ain't my thing. So, I guess a first thing when listening is to ask yourself, "Am I in a place to catch where this person is coming from?". If not, probably best to move on to something I find accessible. I'll shut up now...
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I'm feeling kind of left out here. This is the 3rd post requesting feedback on my music. Persistance is a virtue no? http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/117/mim_the_sleeping_limb.html This is still in development, and is a guitar and drums only group. Thanks very much in advance for any constructive criticism [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img] -rob

THANK you!!! nice feedback, that's the kinda comments im looking for. i can understand how some of you dont "get it" if your just into jazz or rock or something (hey, i looooove jazz too) but i appreciate the comments about stuff "needing to build" or whatever... have to go back and absorb those some more. but i think it totally rocks when people say that and can still say "it would do good in a movie" or something. i find myself getting comments like that ALOT, which is great. i'd like to eventually take a stab at film scores, but im sure i got aways to go before i get a shot at that. and thanks again for coming down to earth and returning to the true topic of this forum peace! diGitaLia ps: Robotobon: i will check yours out soon - or maybe i already have? (dont i know you from somewhere? hehehe)

-=| i.make..sound... |=-

-=| www.digitalianation.com |=-

Archived