Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is Your Music Any Good? Find Out Here!!

Was I skipped on purpose [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]? Still waiting to find out if our music is any good. Later, Steve [url=http://www.jamfree.com]www.jamfree.com[/url]

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by daboosh@prodigy.net: [b] It was written for music behind sports footage. [/b][/quote] One thing that bothered me immediately - but maybe not "The General Public" - was the guitar being out of tune on the later half of the riff.... but maybe that's the attraction as well? It seemed noisy and a bit bright? It seems to have references to a number of current "techno" ideas: the Prodigy beat, the changing-envelope sounds, and the "BASS' hook of the guitar part. These things in conjunction probably has a good potential for tweaking a non-critical ear into the "this is familiar exciting bumper music for a commercialized sports where florescent-spandex-clothing-is-worn show" vibe. I'd want it less noisy, more harmonic content around 80hz maybe, less bright harmonics on everything (exciter?) save the attack of the kick - which is the thing (thinking about it, not hearing it now) that seems absent from the above formula: the stereotypical "Small diameter bass drum with a squashed low mid thud". But that may not have survived the MP3 process? Likewise, I would tweeze the guitar sound into a narrow limited-bandwidth sound with possibly some sort of distant-ambient modification, maybe even some of the now-cliche "effected (flanged/peaking filter swept) eight-note repeat delay", and then make it more traditionally scooped-metal for alternate parts (ala KDFM is it?). I'd check the intonation of some of those notes.. *OR* - on the last (if I'm remembering properly) few notes put some sort of vocoder/wide filter sweep effect on those notes for heightened effect... OR make those out of tune notes more exaggerated with a weird "roughshod-untrained" vibrato. In that case probably stick a quarter note repeat delay on just that note with suitably narrow-eqed repeats (again, just to make it sound like more things going on). Hope that wasn't too brutal. I was curious as to what _Taxi_ was choosing... http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Here's something a bit different. I have designed and am marketing an acoustic/electric guitar that works on a bit of a different principle...The mp3's are on this page: http://www.electrocoustic.com/mp3.html [img]http://electrocoustic.com/images/imagebody_050.jpg[/img] The guitar was run into a tube mic pre then direct to hard disc. Minimal EQ was used, but we did have to compress a bit, as the guitar has a very wide dynamic range. The pickup system uses both a piezo and a magnetic, and the two are mixed passively, on the guitar. The circuit effectively uses the capacitance of the piezo to control the "electric" tonality of the magnetic, and the induction present in the magnetic coils to sweeten up(slow down) the piezo. Please comment on the overall tonal variety and quality of the guitar(and please forgive my guitar playing)...and make suggestions for any improvements in the recording process...I can do a fair job of carving wood, but am quite ignorant when it comes to recording. Dave This message has been edited by dave@electrocoustic.com on 01-15-2001 at 11:09 PM

daboosh@prodigy.net posts: http://www.DaBOOSH.net/download.html >>"ER (Extreme Rant)" recently got a good critique and forwarded to a project by TAXI! My first one! (still keeping my fingers crossed). It was written for music behind sports footage. I would like to know what others think.<< One of the most worthwhile listens here so far. Very creative guitar work, strong structure, good dynamics, melodic, and professional sounding. Most importantly, Daboosh, you don't sound like you're stuck in a time warp like a lot of these folks. I've wasted my time waiting for some of the most god-awful eighties mastabatory regurgitation on this thread, and ER was a welcome respite. Chip's comment about the guitar being "out of tune" means he's not used to hearing modes, but I luv that exotic sound. I say keep doing what ya doin', ya got a future in soundtracks that rock as far as I can see. I'm gonna listen to that again...

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

>> I would tweeze the guitar sound into a narrow limited-bandwidth sound with possibly some sort of distant-ambient modification, maybe even some of the now-cliche "effected (flanged/peaking filter swept) eight-note repeat delay"<< What decade are you from? The brutha's not going for the Muzak market, Chipsta!

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Dave, Your electroCoustic guitar seems cool, wish I could afford to buy one right now. I've listened to everyone on this thread, I'd like to retract my request for opinions on JamFree, we're definitly from a different school.

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b]welcome respite. Chip's comment about the guitar being "out of tune" means he's not used to hearing modes,[/b][/quote] I assure you I am well acquainted with modes. Being out of tune has nothing to do with modes; I'm sorry you can't hear it. http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b]>> I would tweeze the guitar sound into a narrow limited-bandwidth sound with possibly some sort of distant-ambient modification, maybe even some of the now-cliche "effected (flanged/peaking filter swept) eight-note repeat delay"<< What decade are you from? The brutha's not going for the Muzak market, Chipsta![/b][/quote] "brutha"? If you were from this decade you would realize what I described above is typical of electronica; which is very much "now". I don't listen to Muzak; but perhaps since you're familiar with it you could enlighten me as to where I can hear a Muzak tune that features eight-note delays with filter sweeps? http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Curve, Thanks for the vote of confidence. I didn't intend to start a war (but it is fun). Chip, I valued your opinions also, although I can't figure out some of the "mix tips" considering the quality of the MP3, but nonetheless I valued your opinions. I'm not quite the "MP3 encoding Master" yet. To let you know about the "out of tune guitar", I detuned it on purpose. No technical reason, I just thought it sounded cool. It bothered one of my other friends also, so don't feel left out. Anyhoo, thanks for listening. Good or bad, I listen to all criticisms and take them to heart (and then my bull-headed attitude gets in the way and says "screw them.......I know what I want") HA! Again, thanks too all that will listen. JD http://www.DaBOOSH.net

[quote]Originally posted by daboosh@prodigy.net: [b]I'm not quite the "MP3 encoding Master" yet.[/b][/quote] I'm certainly not either, in fact the randomness of what the MP3 process does depending on the codec to sound is baffling to me in some ways. As far as the mix process goes, in a nutshell what I was trying to get at was ways of making it have even more electronica references, things that you normally hear on sampled/synth parts but sometimes on straight instruments. To me in the category of faster tempi electronica it almost has to have constant new rhythmic/tonal elements to offset the monotony, as opposed to the slower bass oriented stuff. Otherwise it falls into the primitive Miami rap sound (IMO) which is maybe not THE worst but getting there, at least in my unpublished and non-consequential book. But don't listen to me, I know I'm overly opinionated and probably more picky than is effective for mass consumption. http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald This message has been edited by Chip McDonald on 01-12-2001 at 07:35 PM

>>could you enlighten me as to where I can hear a Muzak tune that features eight-note delays with filter sweeps? << You can hear a whole CD of that generic dreck called "Off Walton Way." Too bad "The Waltons" got cancelled 25 years ago. >>To me in the category of faster tempi electronica it almost has to have constant new rhythmic/tonal elements to offset the monotony, as opposed to the slower bass oriented stuff.<< Bullshit squared. I checked out Chipsta's links, and Daboosh's grooves make Chipsta sound like a joke-sta, so Chipsta posts all kinds of double-speak negating Daboosh's accomplishments. F*ck you, you eighties weedly-weedly-wee jerk-off. Take your spandex and go to Japan and sell that sh*t, you pathetic has-been. Daboosh is jammin' some serious creativity, and you and your frustratrated issues try to knock him off his square. See ya in the funny papers, Chipsta. Yo Daboosh, I got the MP3 of your jam saved on my desktop, I luv it so much. I been playin' it for anyone who comes around the studio, and folks be eatin' it up. IT'S PHAT!!! DON'T CHANGE A F*CKING THING!!! Your smileage may vary...

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

What's the point in bickering like a bunch of nancies? It's pretty pathetic. I thought this whole thing was about constructive criticism. Can we get back to that before it becomes a virtual WWF? Yo, "Curvsta", maybe you could indulge in your "dominant" phart-phest elsewhere, "brother". Nobody's negating anyone's accomplishments here but you.

[quote]I've listened to everyone on this thread, I'd like to retract my request for opinions on JamFree, we're definitly from a different school.[/quote] Well, this comment was enough to make me want to listen. After hearing Jamfree 2000.20, I'm convinced that I just may have to buy some of your material. I'm an improvisation junkie. 98% of my material is the product of improvisation. I find it is the best way to write music. I just get a beat going on my keyboard or drum machine and start playing (guitar) whatever happens to come along. I'll just record an hour or more of just jamming. I then go back and play along with whatever I laid down. I have come up with some killer instrumentals this way. I just go with the flow. A lot of musicians I've jammed with have found me to be very difficult to work with. I tend to always be improvising, and most musicians tend to work in a very structured way. Although, one of my best friends is a very good guitarist and we can jam for hours without having a clue what we are playing (or are going to play). Their are a couple of sessions of us, I wish I had recorded. Total in the zone transcendence. Here lately, I've been honing the drum skills, so I just lay down a beat to get started and he gets a flow going. Once we get started, we just let the music dictate where we go. I would imagine that we are just familiar enough with each others style to be able to hear where each other is going before we get there. But, there are those magic moments when the music takes over and we are in awe of what we are playing. I remember a quote by Jimmy Page (sorta) where he said riffs are just floating in the air and you just have be able to grab them. It was something like that. [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif[/img]

Hey Dr. Destructo, Thanks for listening. I've done lots of structured music from producing Pop and R&B Boy groups to Big Band arrangements. The music was always being directed by the opinions of Record execs, "accepted rules", etc. When I fell in love with music as a boy, the music lead me - not the other way around. So, I've decided to put the music back in control and I'm lucky to be related to 2 excellent musicians who want to do the same thing. We get together to jam at least once a month and record the whole thing, our rule is "No Limits," not always improv (though our best stuff is normally improvised) but always FREE. I'm glad you enjoyed our music, I enjoyed listening to yours too. Thanks for reserving comments like - "Bass Drums could use more 8k frequency" or "Put a chorus on the guitar with a 1 second delay to add more warmth" [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif[/img] - We know what we need to work on, live recording is a process we're still fine tuning. We do need a vote of confidence every once in a while like any artist, I thank you for that. Peace and Love and KEEP JAMMIN, Stephen

Stephen: I listened to your music ( although this isn't the first time )and it really took me back to the days of going to the original Fillmore and Winterland 67-70 where bands would really stretch out and go for it. I used to travel about 100 miles almost every weekend to soak up all I could from those great concerts. Back then Bill Graham would have extremely diverse bills so even if you went to go see Cream you'd be exposed to The Gary Burton quartet playing some really outside stuff that ordinarily I didn't even know existed. It was a great learning experience and widened my perspective of music. Keep on Jamin' Tom

Hi Tom! Yeah I hear ya. Miles Davis live at Filmore West (as well as the Bitches Brew studio effort) is one of the biggest inspirations behind what we do. I wasn't able to see the great concerts of that era but I've definitly put some time into listening to them. Gary Burton rips, especially the stuff he did with Chick Corea. I've listened to your music a lot, help me out what's new on your page? This message has been edited by truth@jamfree.com on 01-13-2001 at 02:53 PM

mdpetrick - sorry if you took the "eighties spandex" reference personally. YES, IT IS ABOUT CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM, and not the kind of vague psuedo technical put-downs that Chip shovelled on top of Daboosh's clearly superior entry. The cool thing about these forums is that you can say what you want, but if you think that freedom doesn't allow someone to call you on it if it's bullshit, you're being a real pussy.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Stephen: You might want to check out any of the 3 Deep Space compositions as they are totally improvised live on a radio station ( always a little scary [img]http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif[/img]). Those are on my second site. Also, any of the Noise genre tunes are purely created from improvising while I'm exploring sounds I wouldn't ordinarily use. I do these when I don't want to think about structure in the normal sense and just sort of go for a Sound Effect type of mood. Thanks For Listening Tom

Cool Tom, I dig Deep Space Exploration especially from 10:30 on, there's some cool stuff at 5:30 too. Have you ever listened to Steve Reich? His album "Music for 18 Musicians" is my favorite minimalistic album. I used to listen to it every other day to aid in meditation. This message has been edited by truth@jamfree.com on 01-13-2001 at 03:39 PM

I've been wanting to work my way thru the offerings on this page. I ain't making much progress, I only allow myself so much time on the net a day in order to stay focused on the things I'm developing which are probably on a completely opposite music spectrum than what most here seem to be working on. But I've always been able to appreciate all kinds of music. Daboosh, I think the ER piece is wonderful. As a guitarist I love the guitar work and didn't pick up on tuning problem mentioned. It seems to sit in the mix well. As someone aspiring to learn the producing and engineering side of music I think the production of ER and your other stuff on MP3.COM are is great. You can thank Curve for getting me to listen. He has a way of coming out of the chute like a bulldozer on steroids when he thinks he smells bullshit. He's responsible for a handful of enlightments I've experienced since I started reading these boards. ------------------ William F. Turner Guitarist, Composer, Songwriter

>>Daboosh, I think the ER piece is wonderful. As a guitarist I love the guitar work and didn't pick up on tuning problem mentioned. It seems to sit in the mix well.<< So it's not just me then. I was starting to wonder... >>You can thank Curve for getting me to listen. He has a way of coming out of the chute like a bulldozer on steroids when he thinks he smells bullshit.<< I'm actually a polite, mellow guy in person. But my temper flares when a playa hata with half-a-loaf flames a playa with strong kung fu. I'm as impressionable as anyone else, and I know how much damage can be done by the shit-talkers. I've been side-tracked by bullshitters when I was comin' up, and I don't like to see it happen to someone else. It ain't personal, it's business. Props ta WFT fa real.

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

What does freedom allow. Here, it allows people to critique music & offer advice. For the most part, that's what's been going on. I just don't see any constructive aspect in bashing someone for utilizing their "freedom to call someone on their bullshit", which is what you've done. Maybe we could focus our judgment on the MUSIC of others and not the OPINIONS.

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b]You can hear a whole CD of that generic dreck called "Off Walton Way." Too bad "The Waltons" got cancelled 25 years ago.[/b][/quote] That was easy. Where's your music clips? [b]Bullshit squared. I checked out Chipsta's links, and Daboosh's grooves make Chipsta sound like a joke-sta, so Chipsta posts all [/b] Ok Jar Jar, this is going to be a complicated thing for you to understand, but I don't do "grooves", I make music. Or wait, let me translate to Gungan for you: "meesta don't make grooves, meesta makesta music!" [b]accomplishments. F*ck you, you eighties weedly-weedly-wee jerk-off. Take your [/b] Ooooh... Somebody has an inferiority complex. 80's jerk off? Funny, the music on my CD features acoustic guitar... were you refering to the 1880's? [b]spandex and go to Japan and sell that sh*t, you pathetic has-been. Daboosh is [/b] You apparently listened to one clip I had on a page that was *listed* as not being a serious musical statement. If anyone cares to go to my page listed in my tagline and listen to my music they will realize just how much you just crammed your foot into your mouth. Obviously not "weedly weedly" and obviously nothing related to spandex, Japan or the 80's. [b]your frustratrated issues try to knock him off his square. See ya in the funny papers, Chipsta.[/b] I saw this coming, hilarious... If anyone cares to listen to my 80's weedly- weedly spandex music fit for Japan (actually, it's acoustic guitar-based fusiony-new age(?) - and as I've stated before I'm open to comment about what style it is: if Curve thinks it's Muzak, "oh well"....): http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald This message has been edited by Chip McDonald on 01-14-2001 at 12:45 PM

[quote]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b]YES, IT IS ABOUT CONSTRUCTIVE CRITICISM[/b][/quote] That's funny, that's what I thought too. Apparently DaBoosh was none worse for the wear of my remarks. Apparently my review was more revealing of *your* faults.... [b]and not the kind of vague psuedo technical put-downs that Chip shovelled on [/b] Ok Curve, let me try to explain this to you, although I'm going to have to lay off the Jar Jarism: I was critical of Daboosh's intonation on his piece. Because it was out of tune. His post ended with a disclaimer that he was more or less willing to hear criticism; outside of that remark and stating that it sounded bright to me, the rest of my post was suggestions that *I* would do. I explicitly noted that it was my OPINION, which is what it obviously was. Saying you would do something differently is not a put down, it's being a human. [b]top of Daboosh's clearly superior entry. [/b] That's interesting, I don't remember entering my acoustic guitar based music in a competition for "Exciting Sports Bumper Music"... Huh. Will Michael Schumacher or Jordan show up later? [quote][b]that freedom doesn't allow someone to call you on it if it's bullshit, you're being a real pussy.[/b][/quote] Let's see: you don't post using your real name, and have nothing to offer other than your "Jar Jar with an inferiority complex" routine, no music clips to critique of your own... who is being a pussy here? http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Curve Dominant: [b]work and didn't pick up on tuning problem mentioned. It seems to sit in the mix well.<< So it's not just me then. I was starting to wonder...[/b] Daboosh: as I stated in my post I thought it wouldn't bother some people... [b]I'm actually a polite, mellow guy in person. But my temper flares when a playa hata with half-a-loaf flames a playa [/b] Hey man... You might think I'm in the 80's but at least I don't sound like Jar Jar Binks as a _Shaft_ reject... [b]can be done by the shit-talkers. I've been side-tracked by bullshitters when I was [/b] Since you're the "playa", does that mean you "playa" guitar-a? You want to test my kung-fu? (tap tap tap...) [b]to someone else. It ain't personal, it's business. Props ta WFT fa real.[/b] Props to the readers of this forum that, until now, had held a remarkably high standard for mature and intelligent discussion until now. I tried to turn this into an amusing exchange, but I apologize for tweaking "Curve Dominant"'s ego in such an annoying way. Curve wins: I should not have responded to any of his remarks, but it was too easy. http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald This message has been edited by Chip McDonald on 01-14-2001 at 01:01 PM

Archived