Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer OB-Xa

• 1 year later...

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

so, 4 years later...

Behringer Oberheim trademark bid fails, so what does this mean for the UB-Xa synth?

https://www.musicradar.com/news/behringer-oberheim-trademark-bid-fails-so-what-does-this-mean-for-the-ub-xa-synth

I think you will still be able to get a UB-Xa providing that it isn't vaporware. :laugh::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• 3 months later...

Wow that's pretty spot on. Reminds me of how my Xa sounded fresh out of the box back in 1985. :)

Still my favorite synth of all time, but I've had a tough time keeping mine alive and finding local repair folks. I missed the Beta test invitation for that reason.

If they also decide to make an Ob1, SEM, or the Dmx drum machine I'd get razor burns pulling out my credit card.

Chris Corso

www.chriscorso.org

Lots of stuff.

My initial thoughts on that demo is that it sounds like a good poly, but a bit lifeless compared to other clones like the Shear Electronics etc.

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

My initial thoughts on that demo is that it sounds like a good poly, but a bit lifeless compared to other clones like the Shear Electronics etc.

But did the Shear relic-6 even make it to production? It generated some good youtube content back in 2017 but really nothing since then.

You want me to start this song too slow or too fast?

Forte7, Nord Stage 3, XK3c, OB-6, Arturia Collection, Mainstage, MotionSound KBR3D. A bunch of MusicMan Guitars, Line6 stuff

But did the Shear relic-6 even make it to production? It generated some good youtube content back in 2017 but really nothing since then.

Not yet. I did receive an email response from them recently that indicated the project was still alive though. We can live in hopeâ¦

www.dazzjazz.com

PhD in Jazz Organ Improvisation.

BMus (Hons) Jazz Piano.

my YouTube is Jazz Organ Bites

1961 A100.Leslie 45 & 122. MAG P-2 Organ. Kawai K300J. Yamaha CP4. Moog Matriarch. KIWI-8P.

That young man built two demo units for NAMM. Unfortunately he was unable to get a financial backer and when his effort went nowhere, he went off to college. Too bad he nailed the sound..

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Yeah the Shear Electronics was the closest to the original I ever heard. He did a "Sample and hold filter' demo and that sold me on the accuracy of that synth. Too bad he wasn't able to get a financial backer to mass produce that synth back in 2017.

Keep in mind that Dave Smith instruments produced an acceptable clone of that synth a few years back. In my experience with my Prophet 5 Rev 3.2 Dave's equipment is extremely reliable. After all these years my Prophet still works find. Some p\layers complained about the price of the OB clone, but back when Oberheim was in business, those synths were extremely expensive. I could have bought TWO new cars for the price of one OBXa. Not every manufacturer has a Behringer mentality or manufacturing facility.

I'm still waiting for the PRICE of this instrument. I will assume it will be less that the Sequential OB whose MAP is 3K. Anyone know?

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

I dont even know Tom Oberheim, and despite "legal rights" and all that, I still think Behringer is Satan. I was so glad to see Oberheim through Roland and Dave Smith get his name back. And now this?

If some company wanted to remake old Victrola phonographs due to copyright expiration or whatever loophole Behringer found, I'd be totally indifferent. But for some reason their analog synth cloning makes me so ticked off. Weirdest thing.

Roland RD-2000, Yamaha Motif XF7, Mojo 61, Invisible keyboard stand (!!!!!), 1939 Martin Handcraft Imperial trumpet

"Everyone knows rock music attained perfection in 1974. It is a scientific fact." -- Homer Simpson

Where did you get that information or is it on your wish list?

As an owner of three vintage legacy Oberhims, that is the tinniest sounding clone I have ever heard. I spotted the beta tester's Xpander in the background, and no other Oberheims. The Xpander is a good sounding synth but is not an OBXa. If B****** wanted a beta tester for their clone, they should had picked an OBXa owner..

As an owner of three vintage legacy Oberhims, that is the tinniest sounding clone I have ever heard. I spotted the beta tester's Xpander in the background, and no other Oberheims. The Xpander is a good sounding synth but is not an OBXa. If B****** wanted a beta tester for their clone, they should had picked an OBXa owner..

In fairness, I'm not sure why you think this particular guy was chosen because he has an Xpander?

Usually, Behringer DOES require the beta testers to have the original unit. Just because we can't see an OB-Xa in this particular angle of this particular video does not mean he doesn't own one.

Regardless of whether the Behringer clone is tinny is a separate issue. But I don't think it's fair or logical to imply that just because you see an Xpander in this guy's video, that therefore the Behringer clone is modeled on the Xpander. Doesn't make sense.

I don't see the problem with Behringer making clones. There is no OB-XA currently being produced (OB-6 is similar but not the same), the license has long ago expired and used OB-XA-s are way too expensive and rare. What's wrong with producing them again and making them affordable?

Behringer are also in the process of creating a replica of CS-80 going to such lengths as reverse engineering chips that are no more produced and have no technical sheets. When you take in mind the CS-80 was so prohibitively expensive that only a few could afford them and Yamaha apparently aren't interested in reissuing it, then what Behringer does is actually pretty awesome. Those were instruments that most people could only dream of. Now everybody can have one of these for a great price and all that is legal. Not ethical? Define ethical.

That's nasty Mike. You know what they say about opinions.

Mike T.

Hey bud. Firstly, why don't you calm down already?

Second, if you read what I said, I did NOT say you were wrong. To repeat in another way, I didn't disagree with you about whether its tinny. In fact, for the sake of discussion, I will AGREE with you. The Behringer OB clone is tinny. There. Feel better?

Here's what I DID say: just because there is an Xpander in this video, that doesn't mean that Behringer based their synth on it.