Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Behringer OB-Xa

AC:

How are you using that Noah EX? I thought they needed an obsolete Windows machine to run on?

Depends on what you want to do with it, which system software (firmware) version is stored in it´s internal flash memory and which (optional) devices you already have installed or want to use in future.

I have one sitting in my closet

This is absolutely NOT the location it deserves !

I got one in very good condition but w/ very early v1.0 firmware and no activation keyfile because it got lost w/ the previous owner´s old Win XP computer´s HDD.

Luckily everything is still available to refresh and upgrade ...

You can download almost everything HERE ... except activation keys.

I wrote to Sonic Core support and asked kindly for activation keys and got ´em even there´s no support for old Creamware products anymore.

So, I was able to use the flash-tool to re-flash the machine after I pulled out a old Win XP machine and installed USB drivers, Flashtool and Remote Editor software.

Actually I have a few problems because I upgraded to the full blown image containing ALL the previously optional devices.

I got the keys for that, but because the so called "keyserver" is down for unknown period of time, I got keys in textform (email,- numbers and letters) which have to be entered manually one.by.one and seems not to be so easy, at least for me.

When I got the complete (.rgy / allkeys) activation keyfile instead, that would have been WAY easier to deal with.

But, that´s only my story for the time being and not the end because S|C support is already excellent because of still providing keys and host all the software while the community @ PlanetZ is very helpful too.

I expect to have it running w/ the system upgrade and all the optional devices soon !

Already w/ the previous system OS and standard plugin config. it worked great and sounded georgeous !!!

I´ll use it as the tone generator for my Yammi KX-5, 2 Midi channels, 2 devices at a time, each device across 2 DSP slots (= higher poyphony !).

But for me, it was so tempting to install the full blown .dmp file including B-2003, Minimax, Prodyssey, Pro12/Profit-5, ProOne, Lightwave, Vectron Player, Six-String, Vocodizer, Interpole and the s##tload of high quality insert- and aux-fx, and mixer incl. dual-mono/stereo audio inputs and I appreciate the ADAT out which is alternately opt. SPDIF too.

So, I go thru the nitemare of re-registration/activation.

You don´t have to when you already have or find your keyfile for the standard configuration or,- when you ever bought optional devices and installed, - that keyfile.

Even when you upgrade system OS, you can use your old keyfile.

Make a backup of your IF (internal flash) before upgrading.

But when you add more devices, you´d have to try to request new/ additional keys.

So, pull it out of the closet, power up, press the system button and look for systemOS version in display´s upper row to the right.

The latest system version is: 1.4.23, 2003-10-16

When you already have that,- in general no need to upgrade and re-flash the unit,- so you´d need the editor software and old Win XP computer only for your comfort.

It´s a standalone working machine which can be edited from frontpanel, store and recall presets to/ from internal flash memory and CF card.

CF card can be used for backups, at least for the presets, factory and what you yourself created.

Use a small CF card, 64 or 128MB, FAT formatted,- 256MB might work too, perhaps 512MB also, but that´s overkill already.

My tech/ buddy has a NOAH EX too and uses it live and in his studio,- he´s using a 64MB CF card.

You cannot backup entire flash memory incl. system firmaware and all the installed devices to CF card,- this is what you need a old Win XP machine for.

And you need it for the Editor,- which IMO is comfortable and easier way to edit everything, adjust MIDI routings, controller assignments etc.

And,- with the Editor´s version 1.1, you not only have USB MIDI functionality, you also get an ASIO and WAVE driver which makes the unit a multi- channel USB audio interface, at least for the Win XP computer and DAW software running on Win XP still,- latest Reaper p.ex. !!!.

Better trhan nothing !

I still have 3 Win XP machines I run older software on.

B.t.w.,- the NOAH v1.1 remote editor software and drivers are usable on Mac OS X macchines up to OS X 10..2.6 or 8 IIRC,- it´s in the instructions.

At least don´t go higher when upgrading systemOS/ firmware to be safe.

O.k., I hope that helps !

:)

A.C.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

AC:

How are you using that Noah EX? I thought they needed an obsolete Windows machine to run on?

Depends on what you want to do with it, which system software (firmware) version is stored in it´s internal flash memory and which (optional) devices you already have installed or want to use in future.

I got one in very good condition but w/ very early v1.0 firmware and no activation keyfile because it got lost w/ the previous owner´s old Win XP computer´s HDD.

I wrote to Sonic Core support and asked kindly for activation keys and got ´em even there´s no support for old Creamware products anymore.

So, I was able to use the flash-tool to re-flash the machine after I pulled out a old Win XP machine and installed USB drivers, Flashtool and Remote Editor software.

Actually I have a few problems because I upgraded to the full blown image containing ALL the previously optional devices.

I got the keys for that, but because the so called "keyserver" is down for unknown period of time, I got keys in textform (email,- numbers and letters) which have to be entered manually one.by.one and seems not to be so easy, at least for me.

When I got the complete (.rgy / allkeys) activation keyfile instead, that would have been WAY easier to deal with.

But, that´s only my story for the time being and not the end because S|C support is already excellent because of still providing keys and host all the software while the community @ PlanetZ is very helpful too.

I expect to have it running w/ the system upgrade and all the optional devices soon !

Already w/ the previous system OS and standard plugin config. it worked great and sounded georgeous !!!

I´ll use it as the tone generator for my Yammi KX-5, 2 Midi channels, 2 devices at a time, each device across 2 DSP slots (= higher poyphony !).

But for me, it was so tempting to install the full blown .dmp file including B-2003, Minimax, Prodyssey, Pro12/Profit-5, ProOne, Lightwave, Vectron Player, Six-String, Vocodizer, Interpole and the s##tload of high quality insert- and aux-fx, and mixer incl. dual-mono/stereo audio inputs and I appreciate the ADAT out which is alternately opt. SPDIF too.

You don´t have to when you already have or find your keyfile for the standard configuration or,- when you ever bought optional devices and installed, - that keyfile.

But when you add more devices, you´d have to try to request new/ additional keys.

So, pull it out of the closet, power up, press the system button and look for systemOS version in display´s upper row to the right.

When you already have that,- in general no need to upgrade and re-flash the unit,- so you´d need the editor software and old Win XP computer only for your comfort.

It´s a standalone working machine which can be edited from frontpanel, store and recall presets to/ from internal flash memory and CF card.

CF card can be used for backups, at least for the presets, factory and what you yourself created.

Use a small CF card, 64 or 128MB, FAT formatted,- 256MB might work too, perhaps 512MB also, but that´s overkill already.

My tech/ buddy has a NOAH EX too and uses it live and in his studio,- he´s using a 64MB CF card.

You cannot backup entire flash memory incl. system firmaware and all the installed devices to CF card,- this is what you need a old Win XP machine for.

And you need it for the Editor,- which IMO is comfortable and easier way to edit everything, adjust MIDI routings, controller assignments etc.

And,- with the Editor´s version 1.1, you not only have USB MIDI functionality, you also get an ASIO and WAVE driver which makes the unit a multi- channel USB audio interface, at least for the Win XP computer and DAW software running on Win XP still,- latest Reaper p.ex. !!!.

Better trhan nothing !

B.t.w.,- the NOAH v1.1 remote editor software and drivers are usable on Mac OS X macchines up to OS X 10..2.6 or 8 IIRC,- it´s in the instructions.

A.C.

AC:

Better trhan nothing !

A.C.

Weirdly compelling argument against softsynths vs analogue :D