Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

SK-1 and 2 Tips, Tricks and Other Cool Stuff.

I've download all of the libraries, put the .SYS files on the flash drive. It is reasonably quick to remove and replace libraries on the SK1, especially compared to the Electro 3 I used to have. With the libraries I usually use, there is room for five of them. Also, I don't need to have a computer on hand at the moment I want to change libraries.

The amount of space is smaller than the Nord, but the libraries are also smaller.

Not to say that I'd complain if there were some way of doubling or tripling the available space.

Howard Grand|Hamm SK1-73|Kurz PC2|PC2X|PC3|PC3X|PC361; QSC K10's

HP DAW|Epi Les Paul & LP 5-str bass|iPad mini2

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."

Jim

Also, Whole setups which contain the currently installed libraries are easy to save and organize. Since patches that use the installed libraries and those libraries are saved together you don't have to worry about calling up a saved patch to find out that the library it uses was removed. By saving Whole setups that contain only the libraries needed for the patches in it the setup files can be kept fairly small so they load quickly.

I'm looking forward to checking out the new Mellotron sounds but even more pressing to me is the reliability of the SK series. Just read a Facebook post by a guy who says his SK2's power supply overheats and shuts down during warm gigs. Most gigging environments tend to be hot and I'd hate to have to always be concerned that the organ is going to shut down. I'm hoping his situation is an anomaly. Since I'm pretty new to my SK2 I was wondering if anyone here has experienced anything similar.

I'm looking forward to checking out the new Mellotron sounds but even more pressing to me is the reliability of the SK series. Just read a Facebook post by a guy who says his SK2's power supply overheats and shuts down during warm gigs. Most gigging environments tend to be hot and I'd hate to have to always be concerned that the organ is going to shut down. I'm hoping his situation is an anomaly. Since I'm pretty new to my SK2 I was wondering if anyone here has experienced anything similar.

I haven't done any outdoor gigs with mine, but mine has done 4 hour gigs with no issues, and I don't remember the brick being abnormally warm or hot to the touch.

SpaceStation V3,

MoxF6,PX5S,Hammond-SK2,Artis7,Stage2-73,

KronosX-73,MS Pro145,Ventilator,OB DB1,Lester K

Toys: RIP died in the flood of 8/16 1930 Hammond AV, 1970s Leslie 145, 1974 Rhodes Stage

My guess is that the issue may be more with a venue's power. Low voltage and bad grounds would stress the power supply as it works to produce the correct output voltage.

There were some reports early on about SK's being in hot vehicles before setup or in direct sunlight after setup getting too hot and having issues (IIRC, mostly with the display). They weren't power supply related though.

After my issue with my PC3 and bad power in a couple of bars I now use a battery backup power supply that I picked up for $50 at Fry's. Works great and no more problems with the PC3.

Since I never had an issue in the first place with my SK1, I can't say if my battery backup is preventing anything or not but after what happened with the Kurz, I'm a believer. As we all know some of the venues we play in have ancient wiring or they just added some new equipment that's stressing the power.

Bob

Hammond SK1, Mojo 61, Kurzweil PC3, Korg Pa3x, Roland FA06, Band in a Box, Real Band, Studio One, too much stuff...

My guess is that the issue may be more with a venue's power. Low voltage and bad grounds would stress the power supply as it works to produce the correct output voltage.

There were some reports early on about SK's being in hot vehicles before setup or in direct sunlight after setup getting too hot and having issues (IIRC, mostly with the display). They weren't power supply related though.

Thats funny you mention this. On the outdoor gig that I mentioned, we were having problems with low voltages. The generator was not adjusted correctly, and the guitarists power supply for his pedals kept cycling power. He had to switch out to a more basic backup system, before they finally got the generator adjusted to the correct voltage. The readout on our power conditioner was reading around 99-100 volts, at times.

However my moxf and sk performed without any problems, even while we were having the voltage issues. The gig was about 3 1/2 hours, and the equipment was powered up at least an hour and a half, before we started. As I mentioned previously, the temperature was about 98-99, that day.

Me and my Sk2 ....first gig using the vent with the Sk, poor recording on an iphone sitting next to me but organ sounds decent, with a little Rhodes sound at the end

Sk2

"Ive been playing Hammond since long before anybody paid me to play one, I didn't do it to be cool, I didnt do it to make a statement......I just liked it "

I haven't done any outdoor gigs with mine, but mine has done 4 hour gigs with no issues, and I don't remember the brick being abnormally warm or hot to the touch.

I purchased a second power supply which I leave at the house, and the other never leaves the gig bag. Have you bought a backup?

Yamaha P-515, Hammond SK1, Casio PX5s, Motif ES rack, Kawai MP5, Kawai ESS110, Yamaha S03, iPad, and a bunch of stuff in the closet.

I purchased a second power supply which I leave at the house, and the other never leaves the gig bag. Have you bought a backup?

Yup. I have one that gets gigged,another that stays in my pedal/cable case as a spare and a third that stays home as a spare for the spare. Did the same thing with the power supplies for my PX5S and Ventilator II. Kind of a suspenders and a belt approach. Too bad I didn't know that the Casio ps would work with the SK. Could have saved $150 or so. Even so,you can count me among the haters in the great external power supply debate. I put up with them because the SK and Vent sound so good and the PX is such a portable and playable big bang for the buck dp. Am hoping for good luck regarding reliability.

I carry a Tripp Lite line conditioner with me on all gigs with my SK2 ever since I did an outdoor patio gig with absolutely horrible voltage (less than 90v) and it fried the PSU.

I have done gigs with my SK1 in blistering hot circumstances and have not had an issue.

Jim, it's reassuring to hear that the SK power supply stood up to really hot conditions for you. That's exactly what I was hoping to hear. I have an older TrippLite power conditioner,LC 1200 I believe. It has a metal shell ,4 outlets and weighs a ton. Guess I'll start lugging that thing around again.

Hi Phil M , I have a sk1 and a kind of that problem ...

It was working normal , and suddenly when I turn it on , the display shows the welcome message " HAMOND SK1 gloriou's voices " for about 5 min , and then when finally starts, everything works normal but it doesn't have any sound in any output .

I tried to restor to the factory settings , but doesn't help , and also I tried to upgrade a latest version but it shows me don't need to upgrade ( or something ) so it doesn't help too .

I would like to downgrade , as you said , but don't know how to get the old software . Is possible to download for the Hammond page ? Or is possible that you can send me ?

Thank you for the tips !

Hi Phil M , I have a sk1 and a kind of that problem ...

It was working normal , and suddenly when I turn it on , the display shows the welcome message " HAMOND SK1 gloriou's voices " for about 5 min , and then when finally starts, everything works normal but it doesn't have any sound in any output .

I tried to restor to the factory settings , but doesn't help , and also I tried to upgrade a latest version but it shows me don't need to upgrade ( or something ) so it doesn't help too .

I would like to downgrade , as you said , but don't know how to get the old software . Is possible to download for the Hammond page ? Or is possible that you can send me ?

Thank you for the tips !

This may help

SK2 sound problem

Remember - you can make a record without an organ on it, but it won't be as good

www.robpoyton.co.uk

Re: sound library's... When one "installs" a library does it overwrite anything, or just add to? Been quite awhile since I actually installed one, and if I remember correctly, I just installed a few instruments instead of the whole library.

Been looking through the manual, can't seem to find the topic..

would like to install that new "taped" library, but ...

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone experienced any unwanted distortion with the output set to full on the sk2? I typically run stereo outs to my Mackie mixer, then from there to the FOH. I was told at a gig recently by the sound guy there was some break up coming from Sk2. I usually run the volume on full to the mixer. Perhaps I am distorting the output?

Motif Classic 88, S90ES, Hammond Sk2, GSI Dmc-122, Fender Rhodes 73 Suitcase, Wurlitzer 200A, Hammond B3 + 122 Leslie

www.jeffreybryanmusic.com

Keyboardist for Survivor